3DCoat Forums

Phobia

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I am involved in a Indie development of a horror game titled "Phobia"

Here is a a early video of the level assets and textures / normal maps of the first level, tunnels only.

I modelled the tunnels except for the tunnel top railings and Dave textured the modular units using 3DCoat and about 10% using DDO...

This is an early wip so the lighting is a stand-in and other props are not added yet.

I will keep this updated as we use 3DC in the production process.

Leadwerks game engine is our choice of engines to use.

Please remember it is a WIP...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCj1lihE_rg

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Nice work! An issue I hope to see addressed in future is motivation. The use of the flashlight seems random and I personally wanted a closer look at the doorway that was passed with only a cursory glimpse of the door sill. I assume we will learn in future exactly what the protagonist is looking for and the flashlight use will be thus explained. :)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks for the comments.

@Tony. The video is just a view of the tunnel section, that is all. Dave did not show the other areas of the level, as they are not textured yet.

Here is a link to our Steam Greenlight with a description of the game.

Some videos are out dated as they were done just for concepts.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=256799045

No release date set yet as we had to establish workflows that will be used throughout the process. I will keep you posted on a release date though.

I am glad to get some feedback that the textures and lighting do indeed create a scary atmosphere. I love lighting and we worked hard to get that decayed look (Textures) for an old abandon sewer tunnel look...

More props will be added to cutter up the sewer...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

Here is a Phobia secondary character concept I created and brought into 3DC as a image converted into a voxel mesh. I wanted to give the concept a little more depth...

Rendered in 3DC and some tweaking in Twistedbrush.

post-518-0-90187600-1399695520_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hey guys, thanks for your kind comments. Digman worked really hard to get our workflow down in 3D - Coat so big +1 to him :D

I'm pleased that you like the textures and think they pull off the creepy vibe we are going for. I am looking for some comments on how you guys do your texturing. When myself and Digman were doing the textures we used 2K maps for our UV set's, we have modelled modular units of our tunnels which take up a fair amount of space on the UV maps (we have squeezed as much space as we can out of them :P). We have been play testing the level for the last 2 weeks discussing what changes we can make before finalizing the environment textures and moving onto prop work.

I would like to know if anyone has some tricks or secrets they would like to share about texturing and getting a clean sharp look on your textures without noticeable blurriness up close. Digman's offered his expertise showing some tricks on smoothing normal maps and base textures which he brought into our workflow, we have also been using the layer blending modes to the best we can. If anyone else has some other tricks on how to get cleaner, sharper looking textures up close please drop us some advice :)

We are open to any advice and comments, so if your willing to share thank you very much! :D