3DCoat Forums

3d printing support generator

mash

Hi, I know you added Split and Join tools which are very helpful in prepping models for 3d printing.

Another too you might want to think about is a support generator.

In case any one is not familiar with the problem when you print a 3d model it has to do it in layers.

It works ok with simple model but if you have a model with any overhangs, like a figure standing with it's arms out, the arms will not print correctly.

The arms will need an underlying mesh connecting it to the 3d printing bed.

There are programs like Mesh mixer that can make supports now but they are rather slow.

I was thinking 3d coat might be able to do it. Maybe through a combination of occlusion and then extruding the normal's that are occluded or something.

Anyway it's just an idea to kick around.

Thanks

I actually was just logging in to make this request and decided to do a search first. I completely agree with mash here, a support generator for 3d printing would be icing on the cake! 

I 3d print 99% of all my models for casting (jewelry) that I first process through 3DC and a support generator would just be amazing! I've introduced 3DC to a handful of jewelry production company's in the US and 3DC is now a staple in their production pipeline. I think adding this feature would help push sales for people 3D printing and want to use 3DC as a one stop shop before printing.  I've been in the industry for almost a decade and I can tell you that there is a SERIOUS lack of quality support building software, which is crazy considering how many new printers are popping up.

There is a void that 3DC could be filling here for file fixing and support generation for all these new 3D printers hitting the market and I know Andrew and the team could hit a home run here! 

• Advanced Member

In my understanding the creation of support geometry falls into the realm of the software used to talk to the 3D printer.

Support geometry also needed to get tagged in a specific way, so that the particular printer understands that it needs to lay out

support material here and the actual model material elsewhere. How this works exactly will likely differ between printer brand

and printing principle.

In my understanding the creation of support geometry falls into the realm of the software used to talk to the 3D printer.

Support geometry also needed to get tagged in a specific way, so that the particular printer understands that it needs to lay out

support material here and the actual model material elsewhere. How this works exactly will likely differ between printer brand

and printing principle.

This is actually incorrect. I could build supports straight out of my cad software if I wanted to (and I have) it's just time consuming. There doesn't need to be a special software to create supports that only certain printers can understand, that's not how 3d printers work. Support generating software simply identify overhangs and areas that might be problematic if no supports are generated and EITHER build them for you automatically (such as magics) or allow you to manually put them in yourself. The final output of the design and the supports is still an stl which ANY 3d printer can use. 

All SLA printers like the envisiontec need some measure of support while FDM printers like the solidscape do not. SLA printers are more popular at the moment simply because of ease of use, fewer moving parts and printing speed.

I've been 3D printing and manufacturing from these prints for a very long time polyxo, so I hope this clears up your understand of how this process actually works.

• Advanced Member

My answer should have been specific enough to figure that a lengthy explanation on support material wasn't necessary.

All I want to point out that one can build support structures inside software which ships with the printer or dedicated tools, such as Magics.

Edited by polyxo

And my point to you (someone who clearly doesn't 3d print) is that models need to be fixed not just supported and magics cost thousands while 3DC costs hundreds. 3DC being voxel based makes fixing issues as easy as the click of a button and adding supports in the same place your are fixing models makes it a one stop shop.

All that being said support building software (like magics) completely sucks and I'd like to see Andrew and his team make a more efficient process from an otherwise cumbersome one.

• Advanced Member

Alphagrunt,

please refrain from assumptions about my background – let's instead stay by the facts. Dealing with support geometry properly certainly isn't something

Andrew could code up within a few hours. Given the fact that finalizing physical output isn't 3DC's current focus I personally think that one should use

existing solutions for that task. You may not agree, but that's no reason to get unfriendly.

Edited by polyxo

Sorry polyxo you're just derailing a conversation that could be more productive in the advancement of the software and to 3d printing in general. I am very well aware that finalizing physical output is not 3DC focus which is why in my initial post I say "there is a void that 3DC could be filling here for the fixing and support generation". I do not need to make assumptions about your prototyping background when you make comments like "it should be stiff but at the same time print quickly" (promptly edited out) because anyone that prints via SLA knows that print speed is based on z height NOT support structures...

Regardless, say what you like I'm done wasting any further time on this thread.

• Advanced Member

Whatever man...I also have better things to do.

Your nickname at least is well chosen.

PS: There was nothing wrong with the deleted statement you quoted, although you again want to appear clever.

I deleted it because I didn't want to open up another can of worms in a nasty discussion I wanted to leave.

Edited by polyxo

This video explains how to use the new support structure generator in meshmixer 2.0. 

This tool is used to generate a branching tree structure to support overhangs in 3D printing.

The results are still a work-in-progress, but usually require significantly less material than other support structure techniques, and as the models get larger, also significantly improve print times.

• Advanced Member

This video explains how to use the new support structure generator in meshmixer 2.0.

This actually shows a pretty unconventional and quite simplified approach to support structures. Usually things rather look like seen here.

Cleverly constructed lightweight structures, often from another material than the actual printing material, which support the actual print – not on a few

points only, but as a dense scaffold. They still can get easily broken away or washed away with suitable solvents. Here's some more images.

Edited by polyxo

@Carlosan, Yes I found this program last week and downloaded it for testing but there is still room for some major improvements, I'm going to continue to explore it simply because magics is pretty terrible... I still stand firm in that I'd love to see this all under one roof here at 3DC, it'll probably never happen but wishful thinking ya know.