3DCoat Forums

I have updated the link. Now:

1) Volumetric tool works with symmetry

2) Universal handlers are done.

*edit:

3) Much more powerful smoothing depending on pressure.

Besides the volumetric tool, retopo tool was improved:

1) Merge in scene hull of object - well if your reference mesh consists on meny intersecting objects

2) Pose retopo mesh befor merging using universal manipulator

• Advanced Member
I have updated the link. Now:

1) Volumetric tool works with symmetry

2) Universal handlers are done.

*edit:

3) Much more powerful smoothing depending on pressure.

Besides the volumetric tool, retopo tool was improved:

1) Merge in scene hull of object - well if your reference mesh consists on meny intersecting objects

2) Pose retopo mesh befor merging using universal manipulator

Cool, you got symmetry working, all that is needed now is import mesh :). I found one bug, with the 2D-paint.

1. select 2D-paint

2. select another tool any tool with left mouse button, and it'll create a small sphere on screen, just move the VS tool palette out of the way and you'll see it.

Well there be a way to control how depth/strength of the "Carve" tool? this would be handy and needed. I suggest using the "Depth" slider to control the strength of the carve tool. Yeah..im using a mouse.

I think you also about the universal handles(can't undo scale/rotate/translate) bug. Last bug, the Draw with pen, tends to skip when painting strokes. Speaking of strokes,in this alpha, the smoothing seems to be too strong with the Carve tool, there should be a way to control how strong or weak(maybe with the smoothing slider?)

This is great fun! :)

Is it possible to convert creations to mesh for painting - I'm wondering how conversion will work - will it output quads or triangles?

Yes I was thinking earlier that would be cool to switch back and forth between voxel mode and poly mode. In which case this could replace the old sculpt tool.

• Advanced Member
This is great fun! :)

Is it possible to convert creations to mesh for painting - I'm wondering how conversion will work - will it output quads or triangles?

Agree its alot of fun, gets better with every update!

Well the voxel themselves generate triangles, that''s you currently see on screen. You'll probably need to use the retopology tool to create a proper low res mesh. Of course you can't use the topology tool on the voxel mesh in alpha version.

• Advanced Member
Well the voxel themselves generate triangles, that''s you currently see on screen. You'll probably need to use the retopology tool to create a proper low res mesh. Of course you can't use the topology tool on the voxel mesh in alpha version.

Ah ok. So it could generate a hires triangle mesh and then we would use re-top to create the base mesh and then export to a displacement map?

I think as a sculpting tool, is spanks the ngons off a poly method! - Great work Andrew :D

• Contributor

the smoothing seems to be too strong with the Carve tool, there should be a way to control how strong or weak(maybe with the smoothing slider?)

You can, Son k.If u turn smooth slider all the way up it acts like flatten brush.

Mouse clicking going through windows is a long standing bug, pretty much as long as I've been using 3DC I think. However with 2D-Paint it's a particularly big problem since you don't even need a mesh underneath of the window.

the smoothing seems to be too strong with the Carve tool, there should be a way to control how strong or weak(maybe with the smoothing slider?)

Too strong? It seems perfect to me. There is a way to control it, don't press as hard on the tablet.

• Advanced Member

You can, Son k.If u turn smooth slider all the way up it acts like flatten brush.

i stand corrected , thanks! :lol: I'm using a mouse BTW.

When you import a mesh using Merge You'll see a button that says MRG_TRANSFOR, obviously a temporary name, but after the mesh is loaded that button is automatically activated and you can see the universal manipulator on the imported mesh. Unfortunately once you hit Enter and move on to another tool the UM goes away.

Oh OK they do return but if you use them it moves a new object (last one loaded), not the one you are working on.

Edit: Here's a bug. The Draw With Pen tool is not drawing smothly, it skips along instead of making one smooth line. Also causes tears in the geometry in some cases. See video:

http://screencast.com/t/mY2VYOrA

Oh OK they do return but if you use them it moves a new object (last one loaded), not the one you are working on.

It is how it should work. There will be special mode (now working on) where you will be able to twist/move/rotate/transpose surface in any way.

Now I am working on combining surface/volumetric approaches. Some tool are good in surface approach - like pinch, grow, transpose, ...

some - work good in voxel mode like booleans, carve, curves, cut, ...

The system will transform object from one approach to other to get most wide set of tools.

• Advanced Member

Volumetric is it really for CUDA performance card holders? The Carve & Smooth operations seem to slow to be userable, on my non-CUDA card.

Feels like it's got slower since I last updated? Or is that just me... Is the mesh denser?

Is there really no way to manually alter the volumetric resolution in real time? I'd really like to work with smooth brushes on a lower resolution.

Volumetric is it really for CUDA performance card holders? The Carve & Smooth operations seem to slow to be userable, on my non-CUDA card.

Feels like it's got slower since I last updated? Or is that just me... Is the mesh denser?

Is there really no way to manually alter the volumetric resolution in real time? I'd really like to work with smooth brushes on a lower resolution.

I'm pretty sure CUDA is not yet implemented. I don't see any difference in the mesh density. What I have noticed that might help you is that when you import a mesh to work on you can scale it. If I scale it up too high it get's very sluggish, if it's too small the sculpting looks "chunky". So it's best to find a balance between the two. Also using a brush size that's too big can slow it down.

• Advanced Member

posted in the volumetric topic I thought i posted it here.

Anyway regarding 3.0

- 4 viewport config. Will that be possible in 3.0? Also some more accurate tools would be nice something similar to silo poly modelling. I think sculpting industrial design stuff would be cool to do in 3dc.

I have updated the link (ALPHA-05). Actually this is result of one day work because today's work is essentially not finished. I worked over essential improving of transistion speed voxels<->surface but not finished.

Changes of current alpha:

1) Possibility to cut surface like a butter with rectangle/ellipse/curve as it shown below:

CurveCut.jpg

2) First results of surface approach - draw with pen and pinch tools. It is very easy to add full set thete - it will be done soon. But transition surface<->voxels is slighty long.

3) Many bugfixes, better look of red sphere.

About mac - all what is made is absolutely cross-platform, so there is no problem to compile on mac - only bureocracy - send sources to mac guy, put on server...

Maybe I will compile mac version soon also.