3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

The thing that I don't understand and I'll ask you jwiede,

do you have a stable version on your machine?

You are using a Mac correct?

There's apparently missing functionality in the last few beta releases, so I'd need to revert back a few to get a stable, full-featured release (I'm at "current" right now). However, as I'm not busy with 3DC at the moment, I'll instead probably wait for a build to be released that resolves the current issues, and then 'move forward' to that.

If you're instead asking whether any recent Mac builds have been "stable", I'm not the right person to ask, as I've been pre-occupied with other work. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll get some time to run whatever is then "current" through some stability testing while I'm sculpting.

The issue is mostly about labeling, and availability of prior releases. I've got no issue with the way betas are being released, so long as a "most-recent stable build" is also available for reversion when needed.

• Advanced Member

There's apparently missing functionality in the last few beta releases, so I'd need to revert back a few to get a stable, full-featured release (I'm at "current" right now). However, as I'm not busy with 3DC at the moment, I'll instead probably wait for a build to be released that resolves the current issues, and then 'move forward' to that.

If you're instead asking whether any recent Mac builds have been "stable", I'm not the right person to ask, as I've been pre-occupied with other work. Hopefully this coming weekend I'll get some time to run whatever is then "current" through some stability testing while I'm sculpting.

The issue is mostly about labeling, and availability of prior releases. I've got no issue with the way betas are being released, so long as a "most-recent stable build" is also available for reversion when needed.

Thank you for responding. I see from the previous page that you are happy with the suggestions made by Andrew.

I don't use a Mac and after reading michalis response I became concerned that Mac users are being forced into

situation where they are perpetually seeking a stable release.

P. Monk

• Advanced Member

@P. Monk

I don't really have the problems other mac users usually have. As I use an nvidia. ATIs mostly have these kernel panic problems. I never experienced one of these.

I was complaining about the last two builds, it seems that these don't work on PCs either.

Yes, I'm not pleased as I haven't seen a 64 bit build yet for a mac. But the most issues I noticed happened on pc and linux versions too.

What do we mean when we say 'beta'? these last builds aren't even alpha. :)

Most of all, I'm complaining for the workflow Andrew and 3dc teem are proposing. I'm not convinced. IMO its the wrong way.

• Advanced Member

Voxels are fairly hardware intensive. Perhaps once the Live Clay stuff starts working you will have another option.

That should be an intersting option if it is as good or dare I hope better than Sculptris.

• Advanced Member

I haven't use sculptris being a mac user.

we won't have sculptris farily low polycount limitation (which the only reason I don't use it)

How so? I thought it could be fast enough. Not crisp results from sculptris so far. Expected.

• Advanced Member

Yes, thanks, I know this, it simply doesn't work.

I'm just saying that I don't like all these results I've seen from sculptris. Not even one. Sorry. Its impossible to seriously sculpt on tris except its a 20-40 M mesh. This is ridiculous. Even then, its impossible to adopt all these details on a shrink wrapping cage. All these technics are good for poor quality low res VG figures.

• Advanced Member

Yes, thanks, I know this, it simply doesn't work.

I'm just saying that I don't like all these results I've seen from sculptris. Not even one. Sorry. Its impossible to seriously sculpt on tris except its a 20-40 M mesh. This is ridiculous. Even then, its impossible to adopt all these details on a shrink wrapping cage. All these technics are good for poor quality low res VG figures.

Ha ha! sorry I just posted it in case it may of been some value. :)

Updated to 3.5.13 [beta, not verified]

Win+Mac, Linux - very soon

- SVG import fron "E" panel. It is a bit raw, needs testing. Examples - http://bit.ly/dRpeVs ,http://bit.ly/e4OUGn

- Quality of voxel drawing with "E" panel curves/lasso improved a lot.

- Al lot of small bugfixes to make 3D-Coat more stable, recovering from problems of 3.5.12

Am I imagination or is microverts painting broken at the moment. It's okey for small depth but when you enlarge the depth a little bit it gives a bad artifacts.

Seems it is problem. Not only in MV. Need to reupload....

Height in all paint model multiplied on 6... Depth channel was off in my tests.

Real shame...

• Advanced Member

Seems it is problem. Not only in MV. Need to reupload....

Height in all paint model multiplied on 6... Depth channel was off in my tests.

Real shame...

No shame. It is a beta, which is uploaded for testing, right? So haikalle tested it and found a problem. I find it wonderful. The pace of development in 3D-Coat is amazing, on one hand lots of users actively using and reporting on bugs, and on the other, Andrew fixing things really really fast. I just wish this was more common practice...

• Advanced Member

I haven't visited this forum for a few weeks and it appears things haven't slowed down on the development front - great stuff!

Now there is new programmer with the 3dcoat team, who's work seems pretty cool, which can only mean good things for 3dcoat too. Just wondering how his 'Live Clay' will work. Is it going to be a separate set of functions in the surface mode or will it replace the voxel tools completely? If you are keeping voxel sculpt, will the live clay work in the background, so jumping into surface mode will show the dynamically tessellated model?

No shame. It is a beta, which is uploaded for testing, right? So haikalle tested it and found a problem. I find it wonderful. The pace of development in 3D-Coat is amazing, on one hand lots of users actively using and reporting on bugs, and on the other, Andrew fixing things really really fast. I just wish this was more common practice...

Couldn't have said it better myself! Thanks so much Andrew for everything you do and the way you do it...MG

Steve:

I can only answer some of your questions. Raul has indicated that one could use Dynamic Subdivision principles for both polygonal surfaces and for voxel volumes. So, both parts of the program will gain huge speed boosts. Or, on less powerful hardware, one could use the polygonal version for fast and fluid results.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

Hallelujah.. I agree with this sentiment..

IC

• Advanced Member

I dont think that is quite what Andrew meant.

• Advanced Member

Steve:

I can only answer some of your questions. Raul has indicated that one could use Dynamic Subdivision principles for both polygonal surfaces and for voxel volumes. So, both parts of the program will gain huge speed boosts. Or, on less powerful hardware, one could use the polygonal version for fast and fluid results.

Greg Smith

That sounds pretty cool. I wonder how far off Andrew is from switching this on.... :)

• Advanced Member

Great work on the Epanels! No missing parts and super nice edges.. :clapping: Im going to make good use of Epanels on a current project.. Especially since I found out how well Epanels work with the plane orientation features of the voxel plane tool.. :rofl:

On a side note.. I would love to see some easy new options for defining the voxel plane tool's plane.. The ability to set a plane based off of 3 or more points would be soo Helpful.. Even better, replacing the whole plane definition system with a system wide plane gizmo.. That would Rock!

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

Great work on the Epanels! No missing parts and super nice edges.. :clapping: Im going to make good use of Epanels on a current project.. Especially since I found out how well Epanels work with the plane orientation features of the voxel plane tool.. :rofl:

On a side note.. I would love to see some easy new options for defining the voxel plane tool's plane.. The ability to set a plane based off of 3 or more points would be soo Helpful.. Even better, replacing the whole plane definition system with a system wide plane gizmo.. That would Rock!

Thanks,

IC

I can't find the Epanel anywhere...am I blind? Where is it? In the Voxel tab somewhere?

• Advanced Member

Hit E on your keyboard, or just click the icon at the top of the tools on the left side.

Oh cool,

We can load shapes now...I get it:rolleyes: