3DCoat Forums

Will 3D Coat export a flat texture map?

studebaker

I have a customer that wants me to map his 3D model to a 2D plane so that I can print that layout on my 2D Hydrographic film so he can dip/apply it to his 3D prints. My max print area is 4 ft x 8 ft.

He is beginning to print 3D models of his Duck Decoys, and he saw this video on youtube  and wants me to print film specifically for his decoys. He is a regular hydrographic film customer and I want to do everything I can do to make him happy. Normally I just print a generic feather patterns for him and he fills in the other areas with airbrushing.

So, the question is, does anybody know if 3D Coat will "Flatten" (create a texture map) and export it, of an already existing 3D model? The 3D models he sent me are .stl and .blender formats.

For those of you wondering what Hydrographics is, here's a link to Youtube about the process and may help explain what I'm needing to do.

So...you have a pre-existing 3D asset with texture information, and you want to create a Hydrographic compatible texture sheet?

If that's the case, best bet is to just planar map the model, run a few tests (the shown video just looks like a sort of cloth simulation) to determine how and where to distort it, and then transfer old texture to the new UVs via baking.

Edited by PolyHertz

So...you have a pre-existing 3D asset with texture information, and you want to create a Hydrographic compatible texture sheet?

Succinctly put PolyHertz!   Does that mean 3DS won't export a texture map of "painted" 3D objects? I understand your "cloth test" answer, but I'd like a starting point with a texture map of an existing 3D duck Decoy model. The hydrographic film can completely enclose a 3D object, it's just ink floating on water.

Well a model can have textures applied in generally one of three ways; vertex color, ptex, or UV sheet. 3DC can handle all three setups, but in the end you need it to be on UVs with as few islands as possible (1 preferably, as otherwise you're looking at multiple prints which will make the hydrographic simulation and application vastly more complex).

3DCoat can indeed export models with texture information, so you could paint the model in 3DC if you wanted to, but the simulation aspect is beyond the scope of what 3DC is designed for. For that you would probably use 3DSMax, Maya, or maybe Blender.

Someone on another forum gave me this insight...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UV_mapping#UV_programs

It seems that a couple of those programs will work for what I'm needing to do.

So if anybody wants to try this for their 3D model decoration, send me your texturemap and I'll print it on hydrographic film for you to try for yourself! I'll even send a few copies so you can practice and get the the ink positioned just right.