3DCoat Forums

Unreal Engine

Source

soul_image.jpg
  Hi ,  

Today, Epic has opened up Unreal Engine 4 to the world! UE4 is now available for download in its entirety, including the full features, tools and the entire C++ source code for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android through a subscription plan.

You can subscribe to UE4 for $19 per month, and ship games with UE4 commercially by paying 5% of gross revenue from product sales to users.  

The engine includes lots of free content, including template games, sample games, content examples and more from the built-in Marketplace.  

In UE4, all engine and game code are written in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio (available free online) or Apple's Xcode.

Designers can build code-free games using Blueprint visual scripting, but there's no UnrealScript, C# or JavaScript.

GitHub is hosting the complete C++ source code for community-driven sharing and collaboration.  

To get started, visit https://www.unrealengine.com.

• Advanced Member

Unfortunately 5% royalty on everything is a total no go! :blink:   Unreal might have been there first, but Unity is so well thought out and has evolved so nicely that now Unreal seems clunky and i get the vibe they are just trying to eke out the last bit of revenue of an obsolete product before they shelf it...

plus no matter what price - subscription models are evil :p:

Edited by photonvfx

• Contributor

Unfortunately 5% royalty on everything is a total no go! :blink:   Unreal might have been there first, but Unity is so well thought out and has evolved so nicely that now Unreal seems clunky and i get the vibe they are just trying to eke out the last bit of revenue of an obsolete product before they shelf it...

plus no matter what price - subscription models are evil :p:

Unreal4 eats Unity for breakfast as far as feature goes....its like comparing Blender with Maya....

• Like 1

I've got to disagree with you about Unreal. It's a very solid engine. I've dabbled with the recent builds, as well as Unity, and it's not something that can be compared fully. The sheer level of detail and performance in Unreal outshines Unity still. Unreal isn't going away. Plus their pricing isn't all that bad. Subscription stuff though? Blech. Unity now also has a subscription, but it's a lot higher at 75.00$/month. If I had to choose one, I'd definitely go with Unreal.

That said, I like both, but Unity is definitely not in the same league.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Unreal Engine 4.5 released

Unreal Engine 4 has earned a new digit today. The 4.5 release of the game development suite should be of help to self-taught developers, as Epic says it includes "a huge number of usability and learning enhancements, an all new tutorial system, and new game templates for Advanced Vehicles and Twin Stick Shooters."

Other additions in 4.5 include animation retargeting, real-time ray traced soft shadows, screen-space subsurface scattering (pictured above, on the right), and Unreal Motion Graphics for creating user interfaces. All the details are in the release notes.

Use of Unreal Engine 4.5 and its source code comes with a $19/month subscription, plus a 5% royalty on gross revenue earned through games developed with the engine. It's strikingly powerful for its affordability, and along with CryengineUnity, and others, I'm happy to see professional tools further blurring the line between PC game consumer and PC game creator. For a sense of what it takes to develop with Unreal Engine, you can browse the tutorials on the official site.

Trb1ZWoOeR4r.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unreal Engine 4.6 Released!

Unreal Engine 4.6 arrives with a slew of lighting and material improvements, support for capturing and playing back network demos, and huge updates to animation workflows, including root motion blending and multi-montage support!

The new Mobile Preview rendering mode lets you edit your scene just as it would appear on a mobile device. UI creation with Unreal Motion Graphics has been greatly enhanced, and you can now place interactive UI widgets right into 3D scenes. We’ve also continued improvements to mobile and console platforms in 4.6, along with hundreds of other features and bug fixes.

This release includes 88 great changes that were submitted from Unreal Engine’s amazing community of developers.

• 2 months later...

Unreal Engine now free!

Free as in no longer a monthly subscription. The 5% royalty probably not applicable to a lot of 3D related work.

USE FOR FREE

We give you everything so you can build anything. You get all tools, all features, all platforms, all source code, complete projects, sample content, regular updates and bug fixes.

5% WHEN YOU SHIP

The 5% royalty starts after the first $3,000 of revenue per product per quarter. Pay no royalty for film projects, contracting and consulting projects such as architecture, simulation and visualization.

https://www.unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4

fableLegends-660x430-908809775.jpg

• Like 3

• Advanced Member

Amazing indeed!

$3k USD Per product, per quarter are the key words.. So $12k of profits per product per year before you fork out any out of pocket money.. 

For Unity, the upfront cost is $4,500.00 for the Pro Windows/IOS and Android publishing per year on sub and a bit less if you buy a perpetual license and upgrade yearly.

I love both but I've been using UE4 since release, the features, tutorials are just incredible.

I can confirm the $30.00 refund for anyone that's ever subbed, when I logged in to Unreal Engine today I had the $30.00 credit added to my account.

So anyways, long story short, you cant go wrong with either Unity 3D or UE4, just go with the model you're comfortable with.

For me, the free entry and pay a 5% royalty later when income starts is what I prefer.

It's a great engine to work in, I must say. The schematics are fantastic.

I still remember using UnrealEd a long, long time ago when it was free with Unreal Tournament. Fun stuff. :)

For Unity, the upfront cost is $4,500.00 for the Pro Windows/IOS and Android publishing per year on sub and a bit less if you buy a perpetual license and upgrade yearly.

That is actually not totally right. The $4500 is to buy the pro version. It is permanent not per year. You just have to buy an upgrade for a new version 4 --> 5 --> 6, but everything betweeen major updates is free.

They said they are planning on sharing it with the 4.8 release of the engine.

Created by Epic Games, Kite is a short film about a boy as he pursues his stray kite through a diverse and beautifully realized landscape.

Everything you see is generated in real time by Unreal Engine 4 at 30fps.

This demo showcases Unreal Engine large world features, photo reconstruction and procedural asset placement.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Created by Epic Games, Kite is a short film about a boy as he pursues his stray kite through a diverse and beautifully realized landscape.

Everything you see is generated in real time by Unreal Engine 4 at 30fps.

This demo showcases Unreal Engine large world features, photo reconstruction and procedural asset placement.

Just Amazing!

• 2 months later...
  • Contributor

Did anyone have problems installing UE?

I downloaded the launcher, clicked the install UE 4.x.something button. I was shown with the license agreement, to which I agreed and proceeded forward. The installer didn't start, so I restarted the launcher.

Now I only have an option to download Unreal Engine Preview, whatever it is.

post-12523-0-77232500-1431121632_thumb.j

If I click it, nothing happens. :blink:

• Contributor

What it looks like to me is that the launcher, when I clicked the button, registered the UE as installed and now it thinks that I really have it on my system, while I do not.

I already tried reinstalling the launcher, but it didn't help.

---

Oops, double post.

Edited by ajz3d

• 1 month later...

Create your own beautiful photorealistic worlds! Unreal Engine 4.8 ships with major optimizations to landscape, grass, and foliage rendering. Take advantage of improved multiplatform VR support. Countless tool and performance enhancements await you in 4.8, our biggest release to date!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

49_BannerTest-770x250-313525123.png

Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

This is a massive update! See the 70 pages of release notes for all the details. Highlights:
  • Improved iOS, Android and HTML5 platform support
  • Mobile dynamic character shadows, movable lights and decals
  • Full scene particle collision
  • Major VR upgrades, including Motion Controller support
  • Flurry Analytics integration
  • And more!

• Carlosan changed the title to Unreal Engine