3DCoat Forums

Photofly/123DCatch style object creation

jamie

• Advanced Member

Hi... this is a huge ask but it would be crazy to get a photo-to-object tool inside 3d-coat - something like http://www.123dapp.com/catch

Basic idea is to import photos or a video of an object, and the tool auto-detects camera positions then generates a model.

Here's an example of results...

Since 3d-coat already has a lot of the technology - voxels, mesh generation, texture baking etc - perhaps it's possible?

Would love to hear what others think (especially Andrew!)

Cheers,

Jamie

Blue Sky Studios

• Advanced Member

Ha, that funny - I've heard that same line from people regarding 3d-coat.

I used Photofly to build assets for vfx shots on Chronicle last year, found it was very useful. Also currently using it to extract displacement maps for shading/texturing work on the upcoming feature here at Blue Sky.

One of my collegues put up a demo showing the technique..

• Advanced Member

Hi

I have been using photogrametry based generated meshes as a basis for my vis arts sculptural works for a while, on my sculpt-forms site.

3DCoat is great to work with as the meshes spat out are pretty rough topology - wise. Also sometimes you get some pretty weird artifacts with meshes - which I use as part of my process (its a visual arts thing, commercial work flow wise I would clean up the mesh and match the reference). 3DCoat alows me to work with some seriously meshed up geo (once I convert to voxel of course).

Jake

• Advanced Member

Not off-topic at all... it looks like that uses a similar idea to photofly. It's pretty amazing that it's even possible to auto-generate textured models from footage/photos.

• 3 months later...

Hi

I have been using photogrametry based generated meshes as a basis for my vis arts sculptural works for a while, on my sculpt-forms site.

3DCoat is great to work with as the meshes spat out are pretty rough topology - wise. Also sometimes you get some pretty weird artifacts with meshes - which I use as part of my process (its a visual arts thing, commercial work flow wise I would clean up the mesh and match the reference). 3DCoat alows me to work with some seriously meshed up geo (once I convert to voxel of course).

Jake

Jake,

I just bought 3D Coat, and I can't see where to convert my Mesh to Voxels.

Could you help?

Regards,

JamesD.

Hi James,

In the voxel tab, activate the merge tool, in the Tool Options panel there is a button toward the bottom called "Select mesh" - This lets you load an extermal mesh file of your choice. Upon selecting/loading the mesh you'll then get a mesh in the viewport that you can move/rotate/scale at your liesure.