3DCoat Forums

AMD FirePro W7100 Professional Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR5

3DCNC

• Advanced Member

I know that the ATI cards do not support Cuda,but my other applications I work with use OpenGL . The gaming cards in general seem purposely crippled for OpenGL .  Most of the models I work with are large , sometimes 3d scan data. I don't use 3dcoat much, but would like to keep using it in the future. Without CUDA will I be severely handicapped in 3dcoat? I would like to use 3dcoat to fix and modify 3dscan data.

Would it be better to go with

AMD FirePro W7100 Professional Graphics Card - 8GB GDDR5 (Cheaper and preferred)

• 8GB GDDR5 memory
• 256-bit memory interface
• 160 GB/s memory bandwidth
• DirectGMA support
• Four DisplayPort 1.2 outputs
• AMD Eyefinity multi-display technology
• 4K display resolution (up to 4096x2160)
• 1,792 stream processors (28 CUs)
• 3.3 TFLOPS peak single precision
• 206 GFLOPS peak double precision

or 

PNY Nvidia Quadro K4000 Graphics Card - 3GB GDDR5 - 768 CUDA Core

CUDA Cores 768 
GPU Memory 3GB GDDR5 
Memory Interface 192-bit 
Memory Bandwidth 134.0GB/s 
System Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16 
Maximum Power Consumption 80W 
Auxiliary Power Required Yes 
Energy Star Enabling Yes 
Thermal Solution Ultra-quiet active fansink 
Form Factor 4.376 H x 9.50 L, Single Slot, Full Height 
Display Connectors DVI-I DL + DP 1.2 + DP 1.2 
Stereo Connector Yes, via supplied bracket 
DisplayPort 1.2 Yes 
DisplayPort with Audio Yes 
DVI-D Single-Link Connector Via included adapter 
VGA Support Via included adapter 
Number of Displays Supported 3 direct, 4 DP 1.2, 2 Win XP 
Maximum DP 1.2 Resolution 3840 x 2160 at 60Hz 
Maximum DVI-I DL Resolution 2560 x 1600 at 60Hz 
Maximum DVI-I SL Resolution 1920 x 1200 at 60Hz 
Maximum VGA Resolution 2048 x 1536 at 85Hz : 
HDCP Support Yes 
Graphics APIs Shader Model 5.0, OpenGL 4.3, DirectX 11 
Compute APIs CUDA, DirectCompute, OpenCL 
NVIEW Yes 
Mosaic Mode Yes (Windows 7 and Linux) 
NVIDIA 3D Vision and 3D Vision Pro Yes, via USB Port 
Warranty 3 Years 
PNY Part Number VCQK4000-PB

Edited by 3DCNC

• Reputable Contributor

No, you won't be crippled, using an AMD card. It only uses CUDA in Voxel sculpting, and even then, because Andrew has not recompiled 3D Coat's CUDA code to newer versions of CUDA (Nvidia is on v6.5 now), it's contribution seems negligible, now. If he were to update it and maybe expand it's usage in 3D Coat, CUDA might be more of a difference-maker. But he's basically ignored it for years, despite my numerous requests to update it.

• Reputable Contributor

He is not ignoring.

Up to date CUDA need a lot of dev time to make it work in every workstation platform. Is not an easy task.

No major feature in 3D Coat is. PBR has taken months. Multi-threading the brushes took a good while. Plus CUDA is quite limited in it's usage in 3D Coat....been asking Andrew for ages and ages to use it with the Pose Tool. That requests continues to get ignored. So, whether it is easy or not....CUDA in 3D Coat is like the TWEAK room. It's been abandoned since 3D Coat V3 was in the beta stage several years ago. It's completely outdated to the point where it's not very useful. Andrew hired some help, so I'm surprised he hasn't task those guys to recompile CUDA and use it on the Pose Tool.

• Advanced Member

No, you won't be crippled, using an AMD card. It only uses CUDA in Voxel sculpting, and even then, because Andrew has not recompiled 3D Coat's CUDA code to newer versions of CUDA (Nvidia is on v6.5 now), it's contribution seems negligible, now. If he were to update it and maybe expand it's usage in 3D Coat, CUDA might be more of a difference-maker. But he's basically ignored it for years, despite my numerous requests to update it.

What he said

• Advanced Member

It's interetsting what you guys say about Cuda and 3DCoat. Last year I bought a top of the line ATI card, when I got home, even before opening the box I went F..., ATI doesnt have CUDA support (Thinking of 3DCoat), I returned the card in favor of an NVidia one.

I probably would of kept the ATI knowing 3DC had outdated support. No big deal, just saying.

• Advanced Member

It's interetsting what you guys say about Cuda and 3DCoat. Last year I bought a top of the line ATI card, when I got home, even before opening the box I went F..., ATI doesnt have CUDA support (Thinking of 3DCoat), I returned the card in favor of an NVidia one.

I probably would of kept the ATI knowing 3DC had outdated support. No big deal, just saying.

On the plus side 

1. the Nvidia is probably a whole lot quieter

2. the Nvidia card is probably runs a lot cooler

3. the Nvidia card will probably consume a lot less electricity.

power-use-full-load-100526878-large.png

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Reputable Contributor

There is one feature in Voxel mode....called CUDA Smooth boost, and that can be handy at times, but the main reason I use NVidia cards is because almost all GPU renderers use CUDA. I have two different GPU render plugins for 3ds Max, Thea and Moskito (the built-in iRay also uses CUDA). Plus, if I start using Blender, I know I can get the most out of the Cycles renderer with an NVidia card.

Andrew's focus in the Sculpt room has been Surface mode, for the past 5yrs or so, and when you add the fact that Andrew won't update CUDA in 3D Coat, it's just not that relevant in 3D Coat, now....because Andrew has chosen it to be so. There were a lot of CUDA features in v5-6.5 that are Kepler architecture (GTX 660+) specific and vendors have to recompile their CUDA code to take advantage of those technologies. If Andrew would update it, and perhaps utilize CUDA in the Pose tool, it could make working in voxel mode pretty sweet.