3DCoat Forums

Multi-subobject Materials in Marmoset

• Advanced Member

Has anyone that's been using Marmoset figured out how to setup multi-subobject materials?  I have a unibody character (single mesh) that has one UV set for the body, one for the face, and one for the eyes.  I can set this up in 3D Coat, Maya, Max, etc., but I can't figure out how to do this in Marmoset.  Thanks.

• Contributor

In Marmoset Toolbag 1 you have to actually split up your mesh into separate parts first in your external app (Maya etc.), and then when you import it into Marmoset Toolbag, those separate pieces are called mesh "chunks". Then you have to apply your different materials (skin shader or whatever) to each "chunk".

It actually seems to me like this is a major drawback of Marmoset Toolbag since in most other applications (Maya etc.) you can just keep your model as one unified mesh and then assign different materials to individual faces of the mesh (without splitting it up into separate pieces). I don't think this has been changed for Marmoset Toolbag 2.

• Advanced Member

Yeah, I have both 1.10 and 2.03, but neither seem to have this.  I contacted Marmoset support and they stated it was one of the more popular requested features, but they haven't implemented it yet.  I begged them for about a year to allow for image formats other than tga and a few other odd formats no one seemed to care about.  They finally put in jpg, png, etc., but then charged everyone for the capability among a few other things.

• Advanced Member

Yeah.  I think it has great potential, but I've told them that as it is, it doesn't really offer much more than I can already do with other programs.  It's supposed to be a beauty-shot renderer that speeds up the productivity of getting your shots done fast, but I can do most of this more easily and faster in at least 1-2 other programs and with more capability.  I would like them to give us multi-UV capability, material layering, customizable and player-defined lighting presets, movie file export, and a few other things.

• Like 2