3DCoat Forums

Autodesk dynamic tesselation sculpting, mind blown!

• Reputable Contributor

Yeah...that's pretty impressive stuff. Looks like they've really been studying 3D Coat. Makes me wonder if AD resents 3D Coat's emergence into the Digital Sculpting market with impressive technology that Mudbox doesn't have. I'm certain they have heard over and over and over again "Why doesn't Mudbox have ___________like 3D Coat?" They added their own version of Auto-Retopo a few versions ago, so you know AD is fully aware of what 3D Coat can do. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try to buy 3D Coat from Andrew, just to remove it from the market and give it the XSI death sentence.

By putting most of Mudbox's tools in Maya and adding a lot of 3D Coat functionality, I presume AD feels they can leverage those tools better under Maya's banner. Which isn't a bad idea. It stands to hurt new sales of both 3D Coat and ZBrush, depending on how well it performs. That Spline deformer is something I've requested a few times, and should be relatively easy to adapt current tools (SplineStroke Draw mode + Gradient weighting from the Pose Tool) to do. It will definitely need to added now. Andrew can't rest on the toolset, nor try to pick the low-hanging fruit (easy to do, but not a lot of impact on a user's workflow). Sculpt Layers is a must, and some sort of basic rig for posing characters. The Pose is ok for many posing tasks, but it's not very flexible. You cannot store a pose selection oftentimes, because the mesh state changes, and you get an error. I even got the error when there was no changes made...so, in practice, it doesn't really allow you to quickly go back to a limb and adjust it. A basic IK/FK rig is in order....just for very efficient posing.

It looks cool, but they're mainly showing things that have been in other packages for a few years now?

I'm not sure how many people on this board are everyday Maya users, but Autodesk has this way of introducing new features (grabbed from other packages) when they're not quite ready yet. I really hope that Bifrost gets better with time. As far as sculpting within Maya goes, I hope they're massively rewriting code because Maya starts hitting serious limitations with heavy scenes. I'm a big fan of new and exciting features, but adding a lot of these on top of legacy code tends to slow the package down immensely. I know that people want everything within one package, but I don't mind using other applications as long as they do a better job. 

I think it'll be one of those things that I have to try out first, and hopefully I'll eat my own words :D

• Contributor

Yeah...that's pretty impressive stuff. Looks like they've really been studying 3D Coat. Makes me wonder if AD resents 3D Coat's emergence into the Digital Sculpting market with impressive technology that Mudbox doesn't have. I'm certain they have heard over and over and over again "Why doesn't Mudbox have ___________like 3D Coat?" They added their own version of Auto-Retopo a few versions ago, so you know AD is fully aware of what 3D Coat can do. Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't try to buy 3D Coat from Andrew, just to remove it from the market and give it the XSI death sentence.

By putting most of Mudbox's tools in Maya and adding a lot of 3D Coat functionality, I presume AD feels they can leverage those tools better under Maya's banner. Which isn't a bad idea. It stands to hurt new sales of both 3D Coat and ZBrush, depending on how well it performs. That Spline deformer is something I've requested a few times, and should be relatively easy to adapt current tools (SplineStroke Draw mode + Gradient weighting from the Pose Tool) to do. It will definitely need to added now. Andrew can't rest on the toolset, nor try to pick the low-hanging fruit (easy to do, but not a lot of impact on a user's workflow). Sculpt Layers is a must, and some sort of basic rig for posing characters. The Pose is ok for many posing tasks, but it's not very flexible. You cannot store a pose selection oftentimes, because the mesh state changes, and you get an error. I even got the error when there was no changes made...so, in practice, it doesn't really allow you to quickly go back to a limb and adjust it. A basic IK/FK rig is in order....just for very efficient posing.

Now they're just merging all their meshmixer tech into maya. This always have been the plan since they acquired it, it goes along with 1,2,3 sculpt etc.

• Reputable Contributor

Now they're just merging all their meshmixer tech into maya. This always have been the plan since they acquired it, it goes along with 1,2,3 sculpt etc.

Maybe so, but they purchased MeshMixer well after 3D Coat brought voxels into the digital sculpting market, to compete with MB and ZB

• Advanced Member

I dont really see an urgent need for hair and fur in 3dCoat, atm. (Those things you can do easily with other apps and sometimes even for free)

Sure that would be nice, if 3DC had all the tools of the major packages ;).

But, they should invest their resources in other things, to compete with their direct competitors.

As in modeling:

The rigging part will be useful, even as an addition to pose tool.

Or improve the poly-modeling tools, somehow intuitive like  zModeler,

Edited by chingchong
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I dont really see an urgent need for hair and fur in 3dCoat, atm. (Those things you can do easily with other apps and sometimes even for free)

Sure that would be nice, if 3DC had all the tools of the major packages ;).

But, they should invest their resources in other things, to compete with their direct competitors.

As in modeling:

The rigging part will be useful, even as an addition to pose tool.

Or improve the poly-modeling tools, somehow intuitive like  zModeler,

+!. I still see Hair/Fur as a fringe feature. Nice to have, but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the list of priorities. Sculpt Layers, SSS in PBR, UV tiles as an alternative option to the current UV sets, Major updating of the Tweak Room (would rather move it to a Mesh Tweak icon/toolset directly in the Paint Room) a very basic POSING rig (not for animation purposes), etc., OpenCL AutoRetopo (and Pose Tool) + polishing the algorithm, major improvements to the Retopo room w/ proper Polymodeling tools, Spline Deformer in Sculpt and Tweak Room, more seamless method of getting assets from one room to the other (often have to export outside the app and then import into another room...that's a major hassle and shouldn't happen in an app as advanced as 3D Coat is)....these are among the list of things that should added well before Hair and Fur jump the line. Just my 2 pesos.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

In the video, he mentions that it's something they are working on.

Nope it's in 2016....and yes there are problems in viewport2 with high polygon counts. It can't match Zbrush or 3d coat in poly count.

It's very much like Mudbox frankly. It feels like Mudbox but it cannot match Mudbox in absolute number of polygons.

It'll be a few years before it gets up to 3d Coat speed. 

And man do I want hair fur in 3d Coat.  And deformers/IK handles/rigging too that are Alembic adaptable.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Nope it's in 2016....and yes there are problems in viewport2 with high polygon counts. It can't match Zbrush or 3d coat in poly count.

It's very much like Mudbox frankly. It feels like Mudbox but it cannot match Mudbox in absolute number of polygons.

It'll be a few years before it gets up to 3d Coat speed. 

And man do I want hair fur in 3d Coat.  And deformers/IK handles/rigging too that are Alembic adaptable.

They started adding some Mudbox brushes and capability in 2016, but what you saw in the video is not in Maya 2016. He states in the video "These are things we are working on." The Dynamic Tessellation and Voxel-like booleans are not part of 2016

• Like 1

• Contributor

Is this currently in Maya 2016 or it's something they're working on?

As AbnRanger said, there are new brush-based sculpting tools in Maya 2016 (they sort of added a very basic version of Mudbox there).

The sculpting stuff shown in the Siggraph 2015 video above with adaptive tesselation (or something similar) has not yet been released. I'm hoping it will be ready for Maya 2017 or 2018.

If Autodesk gets the Mudbox team to quit working on Mudbox and just focus on Maya, then maybe it could potentially be big competition for Zbrush, and other sculpting apps. Mudbox is already quite advanced, so I'm sure they could do a nice integration for Maya. The big advantage for this new integration is that all the other Maya modeling and rigging tools would be available (including hair, PBR rendering, and even raytraced rendering). The price point would also be not far from the Zbrush/Keyshot package, especially if they include most of these new tools for Maya LT. The only thing I'm wondering about is painting. Will they put the Mudbox painting features into Maya as well?

• Advanced Member

There's so much stuff in Mudbox to integrate into Maya, I'm wondering if MB is truly dead?

Sounds like it could take quite a while to have the level of functionality that MB already has now.

Then there's licensing, Mudbox costs me $10.00 per month at the moment, absolutely love it and accessible.