3DCoat Forums

Everything's flat - yay or nay

ajz3d

• Contributor

First, there were menus.

Then, there were "ribbons", introduced by Microsoft in one of their Office packages. It was picked up by some 3rd party programs (e.g. Foxit Reader, 3DS Max), but in most of them it was implemented only as an option.

Now, we are witnessing a small digital "revolution" that manifests itself in flattening user interfaces and simple graphics. Examples are as follows: Windows 8.x, Windows 10, web pages, mobile OSes (e.g. Android Lollipop), etc.

Do you guys like it? Do you find it beautiful? Enhancing your productivity?

I'm very curious about your opinions.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

most definitly. I was always stupified by all the fanciness of interfaces with their round buttons and what not.

I really hope this is just how its going to stay. Because the no.1 job of an interface is to get out of the way of the user. It just needs to deliver the content/functionality with the least amount of button presses, and in the most obvious way.

so i absolutely love this simplification trend thats going on.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I like the eye candy, but as long as it's functional it probably doesn't matter.  It may not be as functional, but Blender's interface looks much better than any other software package I have used.  (I haven't used Modo, so it might be the exception)  :)

Jason