Merging/ importing a fine mesh

arumiat

Go to solution Solved by digman,

• Advanced Member

Hi guys

I'm trying to import a fine fbx mesh like so

http://pbrd.co/13W3BWs

5498774991420.jpg

If I import it using standard settings into the voxel room the mesh starts autoconnecting to itself like so

5498776b72b70.jpg

I've tried importing it into surface mode but I get an error about intersecting pieces and the boolean operation failing. 

I've also tried it as an .obj, no different.

I've tried autoscaling and increasing the resolution prior to import as well, no different.

Does the mesh need to be higher density on export from Blender or something?

Thanks in advance,

T

• Advanced Member

EDIT: Merge subtree seems to work for the below...

Only thing with doing that though is that I can't sculpt on it as though it's one object as it imports as multiple objects into the voxtree. How can I turn it into one object to sculpt on, if this is even possible?

54987c7150442.jpg

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

Bring the model in as a voxel object, deselect without voxelizing and as separate instances (objects). You want the model to be a one voxel object, the boolean operations will not fail.

Do not use autoscale. scale the model yourself and watch the estimated Poly Count or in other words the voxel count in the import ( merge) panel tool box.

Scale the resolution up ( the model increases in size) till you have enough voxel resolution to create all the details. A little trial and error here till you get it right as too little will not give you enough voxel resolution and too much can give you more than the models needs to capture the details.

Press enter and keep the scale so when you export the model it retains blender's scale.

You can import the blender model as your base retopo model in the retopo room if so desired.

The model shown in the pic was several objects in the obj file merged as one voxel layer.

On the left the model was merged at 2,500,000 voxels

On the right the model was merged at 60,000 voxels.

Note:

Since the model is separate objects with a boolean operation during import the final voxel count might be somewhat lower than the voxel count show in the import panel.

I also scaled the lower voxel count model up in size after I competed the import it so it would easier to compare.

Test both FBX and OBJ but either one should be ok...

post-518-0-75532000-1419283074_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1