3DCoat Forums

3D coat & Substance designer / painter toolkit

• Advanced Member

Hi 3DC'ers

I was wondering if any of you who had experience with 3DCoat and the Allegorithmic Substance toolkit would care to share their thoughts on the pros and cons of adding it into their workflow. Whilst I'm taking great joy in getting to learn to vertex paint in 3DC, my scenes in Unity (which is where all of my content goes) end up so drab and dull as I just decimate my 3Dcoat model & use a vertex shader within Unity to display vertex color. I've put off retopoing and texture painting so far as my scenes are often 40-50 meshes, so it would be time consuming, & I'm not sure how well Unity handles this number of textures.

With the advent of PBR in Unity however I really think it's time I started to address this, and it would sure improve my enjoyment of the end pieces I'm creating! In my search for working out a streamlined workflow the Substance suite keeps popping up. Are there particular reasons you might choose it? Things I've heard so far that I've liked

- I could continue vertex painting in 3DC and bake my vertex colour down to maps to use in Substance designer

- I can dynamically resize maps according to need

- I can create substance material files that contain all needed information for a scene in Unity, rather than having to handle huge numbers of textures

- I can create animatable options on the textures in Substance that I can animate at runtime in Unity

Part of me feels that if 3DC does all that I need functionally, I should just focus on getting to know it better and become more familiar with it rather than adding another piece of kit to the workflow, however if it will save a lot of time in the long-run I'm always keen to invest.

Be interested to hear,

T

• Contributor

Designer can do what you ask and more.

Try the demo / trial , follow a couple tutorials and you will soon find out the power of it.

• Contributor

I am using painter as well , and to be honest , i use it mostly for the dirt effects and particles , everything else can be done in 3dc as well.

Hi,

does anybody know, how to export Metallic and Roughness out of 3d-Coat for Unitys Metallic workflow? Is there an option to get the MetallicSmoothness map, where RGB is Metallic and Alpha is Smoothness/Roughness?

I don't know how to do that.

Thanks!