3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Normal, when upres-ing you're converting your mesh to voxel, thus losing the extra crispiness coming from the surface tools. This is something that should be solved when voxel subcell is implemented in the future. For the time being consider the surface tool as the last step to the finished sculpt (and you don't need to upres, you can do it manualy for the area that need it by using the liveclay brush with 0 depth.)

I kind of figured that was the case. It makes sense but it might be a good idea to have a warning dialog to make sure the end user knows whats going to happen if they use this command. For new users this could be a frustrating behaviour if they are not aware of the resulting lose of work.

You can still undo after the conversion and the visual change are enough to tickle the undo reflex imho. And it's a temporary situation as voxel subcell is planned. Plus adding a warning message would be a major annoyance for people working in both voxel and surface mode (without liveclay).

Doh! not sure why ctrl+z wasn't my first reaction...

Nice job on the brush update! Like people have been saying GL is much faster then DX. I also have found that with most brushes I have been using, the alphas are much more responsive in LC mode then before. However, the RemoveClay brush seems to be really slow. My system will hang for at least a minute when trying to use a size around 70. After a second attempt with the brush I ran into this (See screenshot).

This is kind of a side note but is there something in the works to improve brush performance in voxel mode with larger brush sizes? With a Quadro 3700M and a Radeon HD 7870 I noticed with smaller brush sizes everything is fine but with something large there is some really bad brush lag (especially during smoothing). Also are there any plans to put a move feature into the LC list? I feel that Move is very useful for pushing/ pulling things like limbs, torsos, etc. But if it had the ability to tessellate like other LC brushes it may be even more useful.

Keep up the awesome work!

post-3521-0-15333300-1336684604_thumb.jp

• Advanced Member

I've just encountered something weird while in the voxel room (3.7.11B x64 DX CUDA). My pick point keeps changing on it's own, sometimes to another part of the mesh but more often than not it ends up out in empty space. It happens primarily when using my SpaceMouse Pro, usually after zooming in close on one section of my mesh, then out again so I can see my whole mesh. I spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out what's causing it, but alas it seems to be completely random. It does happen often though. I did manage to get it to affect ALT+RMB at one point too, again after zooming, and the pick point ended up really far away from my mesh.

I can sort of get it to happen if I:

1) Zoom out until the whole mesh fits on the screen.

2) Pick point a corner of the mesh.

3) Zoom in close on that corner and sculpt a bit.

4) Pan/rotate around while zoomed in.

5) Pick point the zoomed part of the mesh.

6) Rotate and sculpt some more.

7) Zoom out until the mesh fits on screen again.

8) Rotate again, and pick point isn't where it's supposed to be.

It may take a couple of tries but that is the general idea of what I've been doing to cause it. Restarting 3D Coat didn't help fwiw. I sculpted all day yesterday on this same mesh and never encountered this weirdness at all. Any ideas as to the cause?

Edit: I just figured it out. Pick point is selecting the exact point on the screen I click instead of a point on the mesh! Is this a bug?

• Advanced Member

Tested more seriously the new version and I found something not good about brushes(surface mode).

The last version has the tendency to fail the correct sample position when you do a stroke in a complex shape(for example if I try to clean the edges of the eyelashes when you also sculpt the eye or the same happens if you do the lips and near them you try to do the teeth(concave and convex region to near seems an issue,3dcoat it's not able to place correctly the stroke you are doing)

It's like you don't have enough resolution for voxel,but in surface mode you should be able to sculpt any detail(currently it's more precise voxel sculpting if you raise the resolution)

• Advanced Member

For me, the transform widget, if pointing "towards the carmera" at some type of shallow angle, will disappear (The axis handle pointing at the camera). So, if trying to move or rotate an object, if one of the axis arrows is pointing towards me, then it is not available. I need to rotate to the side to grab it.

• Advanced Member

I'm now having a rotating issue. It's kind weird, I can't seem to rotate in clean manner. It's like the view get's stuck to one side. It's hard to describe maybe a video.

had such an issue too on my second display-screen (working with two displays), but when i drag the window over to my main display, then all was fine again... very strange, seems like an driver issue (my second display is an older fabricate)

edit: it appeared after i used the cutoff tool in LC

• Advanced Member

Wow! I realised yesterday that it was possible to paint directly on voxels!

A big thanks to 3dCoat team for that!

I also found a minor bug:

With the last stable release version (X64 with Cuda),

camera navigation goes funky when using twirl tool in LC mode.

The camera is suddenly locked and you can no more move arround the model

unless you pick up another tool or Alt+tab to another app before coming back in 3dC.

Paint on voxel is a really great improvement. Thanks a lot.

• Advanced Member

Got some ref image problem...Ref Image is placed behind model, but as you rotate the scene the ref image covers the model....its always on top of the model, no matter how far into the distance it is put???

ok...got cross.....left it alone and went and watched "Justified" for an hour ( Raylon didnt shoot anyone today!) .....came back and loaded in an old scene, and it worked fine . So I swapped out all the elements and it seems ok. But if I start a new scene it doesnt work,the ref image is always on top?

• Advanced Member

3.7.11b has some pretty serious bugs for me. First, when using masks, CTRL-Z no longer works. You have to go Edit-Undo. I also get what seems to be illegal colors being created when painting. Suddenly my colors rocket into all sorts of bizarre combinations that aren't related to what I'm painting at all. I am assuming 3DC is creating colors outside of standard RGB and the graphics card is freaking out.

-Paul

• Reputable Contributor

3.7.11b has some pretty serious bugs for me. First, when using masks, CTRL-Z no longer works. You have to go Edit-Undo. I also get what seems to be illegal colors being created when painting. Suddenly my colors rocket into all sorts of bizarre combinations that aren't related to what I'm painting at all. I am assuming 3DC is creating colors outside of standard RGB and the graphics card is freaking out.

-Paul

Taros has made mantis bug report on the mask undo problem on that part of your post. It has been confirmed and assigned to Andrew.

Mantis bug report 0000513

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Is there an issue with topo in the latest beta of 3dcoat on Mac? The mesh does not show up at all apart from around the edge of the model.

Screenshot attatched.

Ignore this. Just noticed I was not on the latest version. Its fine.

Mike

post-1790-0-04822800-1337267740_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

Another minor bug on latest stable release (X64 wit Cuda).

When using reverse "Grow" in orthographic view to cut off voxel parts,

the model lighting changes just as if the source light was following the lasso (or square) selection.

Did someone else noticed?

It's not a crytical one at all, but that seems weird.

Cheers!

• Advanced Member

When I try to decrease Spacing for brush tool using mouse in brush options I click on Spacing and drag mouse to the left. The Spacing number decrease to 10% then jump to 400%, decrease to 10%, jump to 400% and repeat loop. Is it bug or feature? I would prefer decreasing to 10% and stop. 3DC v3.7.11B

• Reputable Contributor

It is a feature added a few versions ago. It automatically removes the stretching of the polygons in surface mode at the end of your stroke when using the regular surface mode brushes. LiveClay brushes by default have that setting enabled and I think the LC brushes do in it realtime if they are setup like the LC general brush is. You will not see the remove stretching selection box when using a LC brush.

Remove Stretching is located in the upper left hand corner of the interface when in surface mode using a regular surface mode brush. It is a selection box.

Also you will need "show beta tools" selected under the preferences menu.

If you do not see it then you need a newer beta...