3DCoat Forums

PSA: 4k tv's as monitors.

Aleksey

• Advanced Member

So without being able to find any info from graphics professionals on this topic, i went ahead and bought a 49UB830V. Its IPS, its 4k, its LED, and it has 3D. And it was a good bit cheaper than the 49UB850V, which just seemed like a different design.

jiZqXJBnAnhsy.jpg

Firstly: in contrast to what others said, it is DAMN amazing to work on. the amount of screen realestate is just mind blowing. If you're animating, space for property panels and f-curves is just great. So don't trust the people who say its too big, and 30" is as big as you need. 49" is very usable, its like having 4 24" 1080p panels. but without borders, so its great.

Secondly: the problem with the cheaper version. As i found out, and now sharing, so you don't get caught in the same trap. The cheaper version only support YrCrBr 4:2:0 at 4k 60hz over hdmi, for video's and images this is not an issue. but small text of black and white color gets a rainbow effect, which can be quite annoying. So you really should go for the 4:4:4 models. The only way to find this info is in the manual of the model and you need to know what to look for. You need to find the hdmi section and find these 3 numbers.

Its not a super big deal, i just increase the font size by 17% in windows, and made default zoom in chrome 110% and the problem is barely noticable. but it did kinda hurt when i realized that there was no amount of tweaking that i could do that would fix this problem.

Also don't go past 49" unless you are getting curved. Even with IPS there is a difference in brightness on images at the edges of the screens vs in the center.

so there you go. hope this helps someone avoid the same mistake i made.

Edited by Aleksey
  • Like 4

• Reputable Contributor

I have been using a 39 " TV for over a year and a half now as my monitor, Love it will never go back to anything smaller. In fact have been thinking about getting a larger TV.

The text on the TV is sharp  and sculpting in 3DC, using Blender or 2D painting really is fun...

Thanks for the TV info too... :good2:

• Advanced Member

the lb5600 has a 1080p resolution. The tv's im talking about are 4k. ie: 3840x2160, pixel density of a 24" 1080p screen.

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

I think you missed my point, its not about the "resolution" of the screen, or necessarily about the ppi... but "real-estate" you mention. Going above 32 inches starts to be overkill when sitting that close is the point I am getting at. Of course everyone will have a different opinion, but generally you wouldnt need much more than that, even for a 1080p screen as the distance keeps you sit at keeps it nice and sharp. Naturally if one were to say put their tv further away then that makes more sense, but to just sit in front of it while on a desk... I dont think 40" and up is worth while. At that point its better to just get an ultra widescreen.

• Advanced Member

Well i guess to each their own. But i really liked having a dual screen setup with 2 24" screens. And then one 27" and one 24". Now i have the equivilant of 4 24" screens in a 2x2 arrangment. but its in one panel without bezels.

so imagine you just have 2 more of your monitors stacked on top. Im absolutely loving it. Just wish i knew about this color issue.

vertically i probably only use 2 thirds of it at the moment, but im slowly adapting my ui and taking advantage of all the extra space.

havent used 3d coat on it yet, but i imagine that i wont be running it full screen, it'll probably be just around the center taking up the space of about a 27-30" screen. the rest can be used for reference images and what not.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I've looked into this in the past and after some consideration and discussion dismissed it, but now seeing how you've gone out and done it I'll look into it again. They're not that expensive so it may be worth while at least for certain things. It'd be nice for sculpting on or painting in Corel Paint or Photoshop when a big canvas is almost essential.

• Advanced Member

Glad i could help. in the current market my suggestion is the lg 49UB850V in the states i think its called the 49UB8500.

samsung also make 4k panels, but im not sold on their viewing angles and they get a bit over saturated from what ive seen.

• Contributor

Secondly: the problem with the cheaper version. As i found out, and now sharing, so you don't get caught in the same trap. The cheaper version only support YrCrBr 4:2:0 at 4k 60hz over hdmi, for video's and images this is not an issue. but small text of black and white color gets a rainbow effect, which can be quite annoying. So you really should go for the 4:4:4 models. The only way to find this info is in the manual of the model and you need to know what to look for. You need to find the hdmi section and find these 3 numbers.

I'm glad you mentioned this, Aleksey.

Several months ago I was considering a purchase of a large Ultra HD TV to replace my old 24" Eizo s2431W and even older 19" Samsung 970P combo, but once I read about the chroma subsampling issue, I decided to hold for a while. The problem is that TV manufacturers have a tendency to hide this information from the public and include it only inside user's manuals, if at all. I remember asking one online shop in Poland whether a specific TV I was about to order was YrCrBr 4:4:4 or lower, but they just said that they did not know and are unable to verify, because they store their wares in the warehouse and it is not possible to check (yeah, right...)

It's probable that the same model of a TV with different chroma subsampling parameter has a different product ID. However it seems that the principle of manufacturers is not to include any information about what is the difference between various product IDs. Sometimes a single letter might mean just a difference in colour, but sometimes it's some more severe change.

I remember my experience with Logitech a couple of years ago. I wanted to buy their K800 keyboard, but with Enter spanning on two columns and one row, and a backslash key located right above it.

post-12523-0-88428800-1422136249_thumb.j

(source: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81lncrYVhfL._SL1500_.jpg)

And you know what? The Logitech employee, while very kind and all, not only wasn't able to tell me what K800 product ID is should look for, but he also did not tell me where I could purchase a keyboard with this layout. But if Logitech itself couldn't help me, then who could?

I'm now stuck with a K800 keyboard that has a backslash key located between LSHIFT and Z keys, and that has a giant Enter key (shaped in horizontally and vertically flipped 'L')... And despite using the keyboard for many years, I still can't get used to its layout.

Edited by ajz3d

• Advanced Member

i have the same keyboard :D

well the same layout =) there is something very wrong with european keyboards =)

but mine has 2 backslashes i also have one next to the upside down L Enter key...

edit=

re: purchasing tv

I was thinking of keeping this one, the issue really isn't that much of a big deal. And then maybe in a year buying the new oled 4k screen. But looking through LG's website, i think i might out of luck. from next year's line up the smallest 4k tv is 55" which will be too big. (and not dense enough pixel wise).

it make sense. because 4k on a 50" tv is useless unless you are using it as a monitor.

so i guess i got to send this one back ( take a risk with their return policy) and buy the 850v... Or i'll be stuck with going back to regular monitors... and once you go to 50" i cant imagine going back..

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

@Aleksey, you may want to try this out with your new TV Monitor. 

When using a TV as a monitor, try and set it to "Gaming mode" in the TV settings, you'll get faster response time and usually crisper details when used with a PC.

I have a 42" Sony TV in the studio that I use for Drawing, Modeling and Sculpting.. Just amazing..

• Advanced Member

@Nossgre, thanks, yea i tried all of them, and one of the updates gave me 2 expert modes with much more setting sand control. So i've been using those. The crispness and the response are both awesome from the get go. It's just this rainbow on text issue. 

actually watched the CES presentation from LG and they do seem to be planning to make 4k tv's smaller than 55" they just havent announced them yet. so maybe wait a couple of months for the new OLED sets to come out, time will tell.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

looks like phillips read my thread: http://www.pcgamer.com/philips-bdm4065uc-monitor-review/

this things seems like a really solid choice. apart from the lack of 3D.. not that i use it much, but could the occasional movie in 3D is pretty awesome..

and its quite a bit cheaper as it appears.

edit: just checked: its a VA panel, which doesn't have teh viewing angles of an IPS, and the colors distort at angles, which is a pretty big deal when sitting close to a screen like this..

damn these choices..

Edited by Aleksey

• Advanced Member

looks like phillips read my thread: http://www.pcgamer.com/philips-bdm4065uc-monitor-review/

this things seems like a really solid choice. apart from the lack of 3D.. not that i use it much, but could the occasional movie in 3D is pretty awesome..

and its quite a bit cheaper as it appears.

edit: just checked: its a VA panel, which doesn't have teh viewing angles of an IPS, and the colors distort at angles, which is a pretty big deal when sitting close to a screen like this..

damn these choices..

your 970 card could run 4 of those  :o

• Advanced Member

hm... i think you may be the first person to suggest running more than 1 4k display at the same time :D

google doesn't show anything about running more than one 4k monitor at once...

edit: looks like my card (970 strix) can only run 2 4k monitors. because i have 1 hdmi, 1 display port and 2 dvi ports, and dvi doesnt support 4k =(

• Advanced Member

hm... i think you may be the first person to suggest running more than 1 4k display at the same time :D

google doesn't show anything about running more than one 4k monitor at once...

edit: looks like my card (970 strix) can only run 2 4k monitors. because i have 1 hdmi, 1 display port and 2 dvi ports, and dvi doesnt support 4k =(

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125684

scroll down the page

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

i think in that case they mean 4k as is 4x 1080p. since technically that is 4k. Especially in gaming, since one 970 can handle one 4k screen at reduced settings, i don't think it can handle 4 4k screens at anything reasonable =)

also my card is the asus, not gigabyte, so i can only plug in 2 4k screens.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

just a small update, there was a deal on the 49ub850v that i just couldn't refuse ( granted it was a floor model, couple of scratches on the stand and frame). But whatever, i got it, and everything works great on it. No color casting, 60fps. Everything's lovely =)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

actually just noticed some pretty serious motion shadows, the ones usually associated with high response times on a monitor. But i think it might be in the setting somewhere, because on my other lg monitor, there is a setting to adjust this.

• Advanced Member

renaming the hdmi port to "PC" seems to get rid of most of the ghosting. also turning down the brightness has a pretty large affect on its strength.

• Advanced Member

but the ghosting comes back when you turn off the tv and turn it back on. And also i noticed a strange kinda grainy noise across the whole screen. noticable on gradients, kinda like a dithering effect it seems. But you got to be pretty close up to see it.

Anyway, I still love it though. the screen realestate is just sooo convenient!

so maybe for print artists not so great. but for doing animations and character design, im just loving it sooo much!

• Advanced Member

but the ghosting comes back when you turn off the tv and turn it back on. And also i noticed a strange kinda grainy noise across the whole screen. noticable on gradients, kinda like a dithering effect it seems. But you got to be pretty close up to see it.

Anyway, I still love it though. the screen realestate is just sooo convenient!

so maybe for print artists not so great. but for doing animations and character design, im just loving it sooo much!

how are the various interfaces working out? Do they scale up enough?

• Advanced Member

i keep everything at 100%, because due to the screen size, everything is just like a 24" 1080p display. so scaling doesn't come up as an issue. ( just need to disable it all, if it come up by default)