3DCoat Forums

LC Doodle Testing

digman

• Reputable Contributor

I will place some of my LC doodles here...

The stand is just my first test at adding stuff. Learning what works well and what does not...

The inflateClay tool will add such small small sharp detail, I have not really done justice to the tool in this test.

The stand was 750,000 voxel poycount in surface mode

It ended up at about 2,500,000 with the added detail. I could never have got fine detail like that at the same voxel count in voxel mode without dynamic subdivision.

I only did one side and the Vase deco on the stand looks a little blocky because I did not subdivide it before turning it into a pen...

post-518-0-39537500-1317271786_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-30976500-1317272033_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Very very nice indeed. :clapping:

Answers to one of my fears actually. Normal map doesn't seem to capture the triangulated artifact. This probably will happen on extreme low poly areas only.

Nice. well done.

Never less. LC works fine on a 2.5M or denser mesh. In sculptris for instance there's a limit ~1.5 M or probably 1 M because of the poor performance.

A nice, simple, well organized set of tools and LC will kick some ashes.

Copying sculptris tools behavior if you like. Because it's difficult, at least for me, to find some better behavior, even in zbrush.

• 1 month later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Almost forgot I had these creatures. I thought I test the creaseclay and pinch tool(remove stretching) working hand in hand to cleanup and sharpen some edges. I know it's a little hard to tell in the picture but works really well. Way to early to sharpen edges but I wanted to test.

Might finish these quys one day, ha, ha, my famous last words...

The bird that is attacking the creature, uses it's beak to break the spinal cord of it's victim...

post-518-0-66339700-1320691714_thumb.jpe

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

This start of a monk, uses the remove stretching selected.

Surface mode

Draw brush remeshes well for puffing up large form. I use the inverse of the rapid2 brush then to create the basic form. I normally do not use the draw brush but thought I take it out for spin.

Rapid2 and clay brushes, two of my favorites. work well with the new remeshing. What I like about the Rapid2 brush is that it will fill valleys first and then add to the mesh. Using the inverse of that action, It will knock down peaks first before digging into the surface mesh.

Works better at chiseling than the chisel brush.

A little inflateclay brush set to "0" for adding local subdivision without changing the mesh.

I battle the turn of the arm by the shoulder as it crosses the chest. That is my next challenge. plus lips, plus cloth, plus, plus... :blink:

I finding turning off symmetry, like in 2D painting (no symmetry) forces me to feel the form more. I would not turn off symmetry if it was for animation.

post-518-0-77263000-1321862138_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Nice one! It smells a larger scene around.

I mostly agree on symmetry, it kills real sculpting. I believe that animation needs come after. Better have a clean interesting concept first and start rebuilding for animation purposes after.

About drapery, sharpness and clean hard shapes are needed, I can't find a surf tool for this job. But, build tool (sharp mask) pinch and even build voxel brushes are OK. A request to Andrew then. Where is the basic behavior of tools in surf mode? What about a lazy brush? (interpolation), it doesn't work as expected no matter how high value I enter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Another LC doodle

Old alien Grampa...

97% inflate clay brush. Finding out it's great for building large mass if you keep the detail level down.

1% pinch

2% move tool.

I think I will keep working on this old fellow, I like him...

post-518-0-14451300-1323160162_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

A small update on gramps...

I had to go back to voxel mode to fix some LC beta problems but will continue in surface mode. Maybe a sneaky old alien tribesman, Like the ones in the south seas where they will dress down for the tourist so they get more money for ther wares...

I still have the problem of getting bored with detail in the making 3D stuff. I can work on an eye for an hour in 2D painting and not lose my interest in the entire work. This is where alot of times I will leave off my 3D work, get a basic form / character, then just drop it. Maybe I just need to push through it and get the reward with something that I can see was worth the effort... B)

post-518-0-14725000-1323381334_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Voxel mode

The main part of the bracelet was an imported primitive (hexagon model) and then used the clone tool and a boolean operation to create the small ridge.

The large curve sections were created by using the copy tool and then the cut off tool to get the sharp edges. They are on a seperate layer for now.

Surface Mode

Details created with hand painted mask and brushes using the liveclay tool set.

Main part of bracelet will go to surface mode for detail work also

I'm still figuring out the final bracelet look.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Another minor update, starting to fill out and detail the top sculpts. I must say surface mode with LC brushes and remove stretching enabled for the regular brushes is becoming a favorite of mine. This is due mainly because the LC brushes and settings enable you do alot more as Raul continues to optimize the LC routines. It is great to have both worlds now, voxel or surface as the project dictates...

Brushes I using the most.

General brush (alpha) with some of my own settings.

LiveClay brushes (beta)

Flatten set at 1%, it works very well as a smoother with light pressure using the second brush in the e-panel. You cannot use symmetry at the moment with the flatten tool. It digs a hole into the mesh on the opposite side of the axis. The flatten brush appears to be better at smoothing than the regular smooth and Tsmooth which leave tiny bumps in the LiveClay brush areas of the mesh. I know Raul will work out the tiny bump issue and squash the mesh digging as he optimizes the LC routines.

LiveClay brush.

InflateClay will get another round for adding stamp type details later.

Surface mode total polygon count. 5.5 million.

3 million in the small details around the bracelet. That is what I love about LC, local polygon dynamic tessellation.

post-518-0-01722900-1325463976_thumb.jpg

Interesting stuff! Can you adjust the amount of density modulation with LC? Or does it simply create more polys based on what you're trying to sculpt in? Whats the advantage to using that over voxels? Just speed?

• Reputable Contributor

Another LC doodle, little over an hour of work.

LC brushes and regular surface brushes combo.

I was not too worried about correct anatomy...

Rendered in 3DC and a little post work in TB.

post-518-0-91963800-1326050102_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Start of another sculpt... surface mode only LC and regular brushes

500,000 polygons. I like to keep it low till I'm happy with the anatomy (face) which I am not yet...

Polypainting is pretty cool for adding some quick painted eyes on the spheres.

Two of my favorite books, Dynamic figure drawing and Drawing the human head by Burne Hogarth

post-518-0-10689500-1326569797_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I got a character concept (priest) going. Now to sculpt the chest. add age wrinkles,fix stuff, and the cloth cover to flow with realistic lines. That will be a challenge. Some postwork to help me see the character...

post-518-0-02238200-1326648655_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Start of another Surface mode doodle using regular surface brushes and some LC...

A non-symmetrical sculpt after I got the base skull then I broke symmetry.

Current tri polygon count 315,000.

I keep everthing low so I can learn, It is easy ot get rid of areas, change them.

On the right side of the image, A concept for the character. shader applied in 3DCoat and some post work in TB

post-518-0-34343700-1327430511_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Another aimless doodle. the wandering of a mind that knows no discipline... 8P

Funny in life I very methodical but in art I'm sloppy. I have to give some life to a model by a little painting and a quick render. I can not see it otherwise.

So here is another very unfinished doodle to throw at you...

Incense Holder:

post-518-0-36725800-1335588556_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

Very early Wip...

I used the vox layer tool in surface mode to separate the suit into different layers, did some smoothing as I want to rebuild the sharp edges and design the suit some more plus add the details.

There are other ways of doing the above, I'm just experimenting using the vox layer tool.

I am using the new version 3.7.11B as it gives a lot smoother response in surface mode using the brushes...

post-518-0-25297000-1336688666_thumb.jpg