3DCoat Forums

Option for boolean to create new UV/PolyGroup in surface Mode

Given the advances in 3D-Coat's surface mode, it might deserve it's own dedicated tab at this point. This would be a great time to consider adding some sort of polygroup feature as well. Boolean results could then form a polygroup which could be used for special polygroup based editing (i.e. perform smoothing, extrusion, inset, hide/show, freeze (useful for both painting and sculpting), or convert to UV). Splines would be another great way to create polygroups. The ability to merge auto generated polygroups would be good as well. Polygroups could also aid in auto-retopo's ability to create more precise edge loops in desirable areas with the right algorythms I would imagine. Layers are great are great for organizing different objects grouped together.  Polygroups are great logically separating and organizing different sections of each object's surface. I know they haven't really been implemented yet due to the voxel centric concept of 3D-Coat, but with the surface features coming into their own lately, I thought it might be worth revisiting the idea.

I'm loving how smooth the surface mode boolean results are with lower memory usage than voxel mode. I just think we can leverage those for even more advantages.

Off topic, but would be awesome if we had a room for operations similar to what Groboto/Mesh Fusion do. It looks to me like you are using similar methods at the seams at any rate. The ability to be able to change the position of any object used for boolean operations after the fact is pretty awesome for creating different variations. Even with Mesh Fusion retopo is often needed, so the triangle mesh in 3D coat wouldn't really even make it that much worse.. I imagine something like that would probably mean a major upgrade though.  Still, it would be pretty cool.

Edited by The.Great.ESCape

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Not getting an answer may happen for a whole bunch of reasons, lack of interest is just one of the options.

I think what you ask for makes perfect sense - polygroups gave a great lot of additional control for items which are physically one mesh.

The same feature as established in Zbrush gives users control about visibility, masking (freezing), one also can limit effects like paint, procedural

modifiers or hair to defined sub-sections of single items. Existing polygroups can also be helpful in quad remeshing and may end up as UV-Islands.

My guess is that quite a few people haven't thought much about that concept, some illustrations probably would help.

Edited by polyxo

I duno if related, but...

0001501: Converts existing model into a set of separate surfaces (panels) with thickness.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1501

0001446: To add more primitives or surface objects with a non destructive workflow

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1446

• 3 weeks later...

I duno if related, but...

0001501: Converts existing model into a set of separate surfaces (panels) with thickness.

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1501

In Zbrush Panel Loops are possible in conjunction with polygroups as well as other surface modifiers.  There are a lot of tricks that use polygroups in zbrush. I am sure that 3D-coat could develop some new tricks itself to apply with the use of polygroups. Polygroups help to zero in and work on only the sections of the surface you want to with the ability to recall and isolate those sections at any time. Panel loops in specific allow greater flexibility in some ways than the current voxlayer/voxextrude capabilities in 3D-coat.  The ability to simultaneously polish only the extrudruded/extracted surface allows for some rather easy ways to quickly create complicated smooth hard surface objects from less than perfect base shapes. It's a little difficult to convey all the possible advantages of adding polygroups to anyone that has not used them in their workflow though.

0001446: To add more primitives or surface objects with a non destructive workflow

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1446

This is very much related to my off topic bit.

Thank you for pointing me to the threads, so that I could add my 2 cents :)

Not getting an answer may happen for a whole bunch of reasons, lack of interest is just one of the options.

I think what you ask for makes perfect sense - polygroups gave a great lot of additional control for items which are physically one mesh.

The same feature as established in Zbrush gives users control about visibility, masking (freezing), one also can limit effects like paint, procedural

modifiers or hair to defined sub-sections of single items. Existing polygroups can also be helpful in quad remeshing and may end up as UV-Islands.

My guess is that quite a few people haven't thought much about that concept, some illustrations probably would help.

Yes, polygroups basically do for sections of a single mesh what the Voxtree does for multi-mesh objects.

• Advanced Member

I completely agree with you there, but you also have to remember things like copyright issues, I'm not sure if those apply here, but they certainly could. Besides that fact, polygroups would be a huge improvement I believe!

• Advanced Member

I completely agree with you there, but you also have to remember things like copyright issues, I'm not sure if those apply here, but they certainly could. Besides that fact, polygroups would be a huge improvement I believe!

Hehe, no, this is not an issue. Creating logical groups of mesh subobjects is what happens inside any mesh modeller.

Explicit polygon groups exist in various programs, as well as edge and vertex groups. A UV islands technically is a polygon

group, stored selection sets of polygons too...

• Advanced Member
Hehe, no, this is not an issue. Creating logical groups of mesh subobjects is what happens inside any mesh modeller.

Explicit polygon groups exist in various programs, as well as edge and vertex groups. A UV islands technically is a polygon

group, stored selection sets of polygons too...

Thanks for the info, and in that case, I sincerely hope that Andrew looks into this! I think a lot of users would be very very happy should that come about :)

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew Shpagin, on 15 Jun 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

- Primitives history window. It keeps history of primitives usage (Windows->Primitives history). It opens way to nondestructive modeling. Further I will add curves, merge, cutoff and possibly stroking history.

• Reputable Contributor

The problem with trying to replicate Polygroups in the Voxel room is:

1) Voxel objects remesh with every operation/brushstroke

2) Dynamic Tessellation in Surface mode makes it practically impossible to store polygon selections.

The mesh changes so much in either mode, that I don't see how it can be done, other than selecting the part you want to isolate with the Split tool, so that it is stored on it's own layer. There are some tools such as the MOVE, POSE and TRANSFORM tools that allow you to check "Through all Volumes"....so that it behaves as if all the separate layers were one mesh. Beyond that, maybe Andrew could allow that for brushes as well

• Advanced Member

I see your point but some types of  remeshing seems to be doable somehow....

f5e5ciy.gif

The word polygroup in the strict sense that it is stores a certain number of polygons in a particular

order is of course not correct in this Zbrush-example. It's rather a "stored region" but such still could

very useful.