3DCoat Forums

1st Challenge: Sculpt a King's Throne!

TimmyZDesign

• Contributor

Hello everyone! This is the very first Community Challenge here on the 3D-Coat Forums!

This challenge will be to sculpt a King's Throne! It has to be a chair (for a humanoid shaped King), but it should be decorated, big, and awe-inspiring. It should NOT look like an average chair that anybody would use. This is a special chair that only the King is allowed to sit in!

Some ideas to inspire you:

Think about who the King is. Is he an Elven King? Is his throne made of intricately carved wood, inlaid with magical glowing crystals? Maybe he is Poseidon, King of the Sea? Is his throne made of various seashells and coral, with electric eels living inside of it? Or perhaps he is King Louis XV of France? What would his throne look like then?

In this Challenge you are required to sculpt the entire throne within 3D-Coat. Sculpting is the only requirement of this Challenge, but you are free to retopo, UV, and paint your model if you so desire. If you only want to vertex paint your sculpt (with no retopo or UVs) that will also be acceptable. The final version must be rendered either in the Render Room of 3D-Coat or you can also use any external render engine you desire.

Please post the progress you are making by taking screen shots from within 3D-Coat. Also feel free to discuss any problems you run into while working, or ask any questions you might have, so that we can all help each other, and learn from one another (as this is the main purpose of these Challenges).

You can refer to the Rules thread (first sticky thread in this forum) for any other questions you might have about how this Challenge will be run. The deadline is one month from today.

Oh and by the way, I will also be taking part in this Challenge, but obviously I will NOT be allowed to win this one!

Good luck! I am excited to see what we all create!

• Like 1

• Contributor

Finally! :) I think I gonna participate too after I'm back from vacation.

Would you believe if I said it took me over five minutes to write these few words? Goddamn small mobile keyboards... I hate them.

• Contributor

I'm going to make a throne for an evil demonic king. It will be mostly made of black wrought iron material, but also with sculpted pieces on it which look like bones and other scary things. Maybe some dark wood sections too. I'm going to leave the concept a bit loose so I can make things up and add them along the way...

Here is a concept sketch I made of just the back part of the seat. A spinal column and ribs attached to iron spears which stick out on top!

TimmyZDemonKingThroneConcept_01.jpg

So I started to make a human vertebral column. The vertebral column is made of four different kinds of vertebrae. This one is called a "lumbar vertebra":

TimmyZLumbarVertebra_01.JPG

TimmyZLumbarVertebra_02.JPG

When I finish the four different kinds of vertebrae, then I will stack them all on top of each other and make the spine. I'm already having a lot of fun! :D

• Like 1

• Contributor

So I finished sculpting the vertebrae pieces and stacked them up to create a spine (repeating/posing them by using the Curve tool). Also added a dark metallic shader to approximate the wrought iron look I'll be going for, and then did a quick render in the Render Room.

I noticed two interesting things while working in the Render Room.  First, I noticed a new bug (the colors for the red and blue spectrum lights seem to reversed). Second, the GL version of 3D-Coat does the anti-aliasing in real time (the DX version does not seem to do this).

So here are the quick spine renders:

TimmyZSpineModel_Front.JPG

TimmyZSpineModel_Back.JPG

Next I'll be adding the spears and ribs to complete the back part of the throne!

• Like 1

• Contributor

@Cylon: Thanks for the compliment!

@Tony: Yeah, I'm kinda trying to stick to my original concept drawing (post #10 of this thread). The ribs will be flattened up against the spears to create the back part of the chair, maybe wrapping around the outside a bit to hold them in place. I realize a real set of ribs would actually be curving in the opposite direction, "enclosing the sitter" as you said, but I have decided that I am definitely going to put an animated king character into the throne after I finish modeling it, so I think enclosing ribs would sort of hide him from visibility too much, as well as limit his range of animation. Also a skull at the top would probably distract attention away from the king as well. So basically I want there to be interesting details in this throne, which make it look special, but nothing so crazy that it ends up being more interesting to look at than the demon king himself. Thanks for your suggestions, you helped me decide where I am trying to go with this!

I finished making the spears, and am starting to make the ribs, but I'm not too sure if I should use the Curve Tool for them, or instead cut them out of a shape with the Voxlayer Tool instead...I wonder which would be faster?

TimmyZThroneSpearsAdded.JPG

• Advanced Member

Continued wolf sculpt and somehow I deleted the first wip so here it is here.

post-13655-0-42689400-1377467206_thumb.p

post-13655-0-91671700-1377467325_thumb.p

Edited by ebitz

• Advanced Member

Good start, is the bumpy seat made of leather?

Yes, will be more like a tuft style chair, this was a quick and dirty place holder.

• Contributor

@Pix: Nice "throne"! :D All outhouses should look like that!

Anyways, I finished the ribs section. I also used the 3D-Coat mannequin to create a placeholder for the king. I'll just make the proportions of my animated king match the proportions of the mannequin so everything works out in the end.

For making the ribs I used the Voxlayer tool. The green preview line it creates is very helpful, but I also wish it would respect backface culling. I'll probably do a bit of sculpting/touch-up/smoothing to the ribs at some point later on.

TimmyZThroneRibsDone_Front.JPG

TimmyZThroneRibsDone_Back.JPG

TimmyZThroneTransparentKingRef.JPG

I'll do some more concept sketching now to figure out what part I'll make next...

• Like 1