3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Great to get hands on the new Linux build, trying out the UV path tool for the first time. Looks like a very useful addition to the UV tools.

Is there a way to preview the path before adding a new point, similar to 'Mark Seams' with shift held down?

Also, is it possible to create closed paths? I can't figure out how to connect back to the first point.

Cheers,

Jamie

P.S. New interface looks great.

• Advanced Member

Yes, Me too! I really like the new look and the Quick menu (space) is very nice. New path tool looks interesting, will give that a whirl tomorrow. Tiling support is great also.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member
trying out the UV path tool for the first time. Looks like a very useful addition to the UV tools.

Is there a way to preview the path before adding a new point, similar to 'Mark Seams' with shift held down?

There should be a Preview as soon as you have two points or more. If you don't there's something wrong.

You can also drag each point around and see the solution update.

Also, is it possible to create closed paths? I can't figure out how to connect back to the first point.

Try clicking one face away from your target. Then drag the new point to the target.vertex. Press Enter.

• Advanced Member

The good news (for mac users as well) is that the performance of the tools is greatly improved!

Congratulations Andrew, an achievement!

However, performance and behavior are two different things. I still much prefer the simplicity and behavior of Voxel mode. An absence of crease tool there? Not really. A sharp mask on build tool, inverse mode, is just fine for me. It's in voxels mode though. Now, under surface mode, the default draw tool, interpolated a bit, using the same sharp mask-brush could be just fine, if a pinch parameter was there.

Things can be very simple sometimes, tools have to be as few as possible and stay simple. A few parameters can do the job.

Let's talk about zbrush. Lot of brushes there but for one reason mostly. To demonstrate how they work and be able to personalize 3-4. More than enough.

Sculptris is the opposite case but here we have an almost talented digital sculptor who happens to be the dev. The result is 6-8 well tuned brushes. More than enough again.

Blender? Again, well tuned tools by default, almost copying zb or sculptris. Almost well done, but lot of parameters can personalize these tools further.

In 3dc now.

Creese is one very important tool, So. were is it? Only under LC, but I noticed some weird zig zag behavior. It's not related to dynamic tessellation parameters. It shouldn't anyway.

Another one, where is the scroll bar on the right? Only up and down? This isn't a tablet friendly UI, you know.

Of course all these must have been discussed among PC users. But I am a mac user. So, it's my turn to talk about these.

The icons of the tools aren't great. It's not a stylish issue at all, images are fine. But, when someone is searching for the move tool... com on guys, what this image means? It's the grab tool, right? A tool has to look exactly the same in all apps.

Not good critics on new 3dc UI either, to have to scroll everytime to search for a tool isn't useful. Spacebar menu is my best choice, considering tools. Scroll bar is missing, the only friendly to tablet users.

In general, 3dcoat UI isn't friendly to tablets, don't expect an artist to work with mouse only. Expect him to work with tablet only.

Not many seem to like the zbrush UI, but how friendly this UI is to tablets? A good question. IMO, it is.

• Contributor

The icons of the tools aren't great. It's not a stylish issue at all, images are fine. But, when someone is searching for the move tool... com on guys, what this image means? It's the grab tool, right? A tool has to look exactly the same in all apps.

Which tools is wrong beside Move tool?.

Only Move tool is weird.

Scroll bar is missing, the only friendly to tablet users.

Scroll bar is anywhere you click,you jus have to click and drag.

• Advanced Member
Scroll bar is anywhere you click,you jus have to click and drag.

Right, lol, apologies. I didn't know.

Using 4-5 apps the same time... :blush:

Which tools is wrong beside Move tool?.

Only Move tool is weird.

Er... all of them.

They all show almost the same icon. For instance, pinch tool, what does it show? Build and extrude? The same image almost.

Grow and sphere tool? What are these three ... are doing there? Is this an image for the sphere tool? Where is the sphere anyway?

Plane? a good image but describes a flattener tool better. Scrape tool in our case.

Clay. It doesn't look like a clay to me. Looks like grow.

Merge tool... an ear LOL. Instead of searching the word merge, now an ear. Very helpful. Hey, it isn't helpful at all.

etc etc.

In general, words are more helpful.

Images are fine when you have 10 tools only, as in sculptris case.

In zbrush, a confusion, having sometimes 6 tools sharing the same image. All flatteners for instance. How helpful is this? It's the icon of a group I guess. OK.

@Beat, you made my day. For a moment I thought that I couldn't have just words instead of icons. Thank you! This is what I gonna use.

But, but, the most important, you didn't answer my question on the behavior of some tools. I'll keep begging Andrew for a "pinch" parameter on the tool's properties bar.

• Advanced Member

IMO, icons are capable to indicate rather "tool groups" than specific functions.

LJB, Beat, this is a very difficult job. I did try and the results weren't convincing.

Sculptris, nine only tools... IMO, icons are great but these are only nine tools.

However, see how grab, rotate, scale, are icons of a completely different style. Clever.

post-2454-0-02181400-1339447937_thumb.pn

• Advanced Member

Of course, now we have a base to start.

IMO, we should avoid the sphere based icon for some tools like transform, grab, merge etc.

For the merge tool, something like this? After all it's a boolean operation

post-2454-0-54557500-1339448779_thumb.pn

Oh hey, I was going to complain about the missing scroll bars too. I was using my mouse wheel to flick up and down but of course don't have that option with the tablet. It didn't occur to me to just try dragging the icons and up and down.

• Advanced Member

Absolutely fantastic update Andrew and team!! :)

This Mac user thanks you most sincerely for working so hard to introduce so many great changes

I love the fact that I can keep the original text based toolsets as an option and therefore I am not forced to an icon based system.

You've done a brilliant job in easily allowing options to be hidden etc and making these interface options so easy to access.

Tools remembering their options too - fantastic. Also a far better default e-panel setting chosen as standard.

One small hiccup - the proxy mode switch on the interface doesn't work ( I'm sure that is already known? ) , but does still will via the voxel menu so I've assigned shortcuts for now.

The spacebar solution to bring up toolsets is fantastic too if you wish to clear away the tool panel and answers the question about how the user can quickly access their favorite chosen tools.

Q1: How is it that I add my favorite tools to the spacebar menu?

Q2: Is there an option to now save a variant of a Tool other than the LiveClay Tools

• Contributor

Hi Beatkitano,

1) I noticed you have a Presets panel in your UI. How did you set that up?

2) I also noticed that you have a Vox Crease tool in that Presets panel. That looks tasty! Is that some other tool that you customized to be a crease tool? If so, what are the settings?

3) How do you put images into your posts on the forum without "attaching" them? Are you using HTML commands or something?

BTW I like your artwork!

Thanks,

Tim

• Contributor

Oh!...I just found the Presets window in the Windows menu...and I figured out how to add presets in the dropdown menu in the upper right corner... :blush:

Very cool! I wish I had known about this earlier!

I'm still curious to know the settings of your "Vox Crease" tool though...and there's my image question too...

• Contributor

Thank you Beatkitano! Useful info for me! And also thanks for your patience!

On a separate note, I noticed that the info bar at the bottom of the screen of the Retopo room (showing Faces, Verts, etc.) was constantly updating so fast that I can't even read the numbers anymore...pretty sure this is a bug in this new build.

Should we never mention bugs here and only post them in Mantis? Or both?

• Advanced Member

snapback.pngThe Candy-floss Kid, on 12 June 2012 - 10:26 AM, said:

Q1: How is it that I add my favorite tools to the spacebar menu?

Q2: Is there an option to now save a variant of a Tool other than the LiveClay Tools

Q1:

Two ways:

-you can add your preset panel entry by right clicking on it, add to quick panel, and selecting the desired slot.

-you can drag and drop the tools in the corresponding slots on that same panel.

Q2:

I'm not sure I understand the question, you can add every known tool to the preset panel.

Many thanks BeatKitano , much appreciated.

In question 2 I was wondering whether variations of a specific tool could be saved e.g variants of say the Airbrush tool but with differing focal shifts, falloffs ,spacing settings etc ?

• Advanced Member

Hey can anyone here confirm the pose tool ripping apart voxel models? No matter the option it seems to just take a part and "rip" it from my mesh.

I am using v3.7.12E

post-3521-0-23411600-1339535032_thumb.jp

Confirmed using 3.7.12E(DX64)

The pose tool seems to work fine for me until I start using LiveClay. Then I run into what you are describing, mesh ripping apart.

Does Voxel -> Cleanup Memory fix it for you?

Unbelievably good! Amazing work on 3D-Coat, a real pleasure to use. The new interface is a lot more pleasing to work within and the brushes are amazing! Hopefully get to play some more if time allows but just wanted to say how impressed I am with the improvements. Keep up the hard work!

Thank you for making the larger new icons+labels optional. As a 1080p display user the real estate of the big icons is not something I can afford, and I still prefer to use the text buttons.

On a related note, it would sure be nice if the app's main menu were in the title bar like Photoshop CS6. The app's main titlebar is wasted space that I'd like to use if at all possible.