3DCoat Forums

Wich kind of environment maps for pbr painting?

m_stolley

Hi,

I just tried the new 4.5 beta but could not get the pbr to work here.

I would like to know where i can download a demo scene.

I tried to load an environment map for the backgound (exr if i remebered it right) but get some kind of so called magic error that the format is not the right.

So i only have these two environment demo maps that i are allowed to download for free but can not convert them.

Maybe i miss some things here but the preview rendering do not use pbr so it look like before.

Can someone help?

Thank you.

• Reputable Contributor

Did you follow the instructions for installing the beta that are on the beta download page? If you did not install following those instruction then the beta is corrupted...

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

The PBR beta gets corrupted as well, reported by a number of users... including your's truly before the warning was Highlighted in big Red words...

I have "4" 3DC folders under Home in Linux which is not the install folders. Home is kinda like the user folder Documents and settings in Windows

In the picture you will see I have four 3DC folders. Each one is re-named except the current one I am running...

I  can run version 3 to the lastest Linux beta 14 version. To run one version I rename it back to the default name, first though rename the version I have currently using.

I do this because of how I test for bugs and also because you can not overwrite version 4 with 4.5 betas because they would share the default folder and both be corrupted even if you installed the beta to a different install folder. If you just overwrite, it still gets corrupted.

In the picture the default folder is the windows version beta14 running under wine in Linux. I was testing...  When I an done testing then I will rename it, adding "Win" to the name.

Then I would re-name my Linux beta to the default name. Now I am ready to run that version with no conflicts or corruption.

post-518-0-96294700-1426624054_thumb.png

Edited by digman

Thank you digman,

I just misinterpret the red letters so that i thought i only lost things i do not use because i make most things in another programm. 

i do not thought that it can corrupt the whole programm.

But now i understand it better and will try to make it as you suggest.

Also i am not sure if we mean the same red letters?

Do you mean "1) Keep backups of scenes, presets and materials." on this site:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076&page=1

?

So i just make backups or do you mean something else?

It does sounds a little like you mean something else.

• Reputable Contributor

You got it correctly now...  :D

The Red words brings gives you a heads up...  then do the better way as Andrew stated in the rest of the information...

Better - do backup of folder MyDocs/3D-CoatV4
For example, rename it MyDocs/3D-CoatV4 to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD, run beta, work there. If you want to get back to 4.1.17D -  
rename or copy MyDocs/3D-CoatV4_OLD to MyDocs/3D-CoatV4

Yes Andrew's words are a little confusing and he forgot to mention that you need to rename the beta folder before renaming the 4.1.17D folder to the default name.

I go into more detail in this thread,my last post...

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17467&page=2#entry120099

Edited by digman