3DCoat Forums

Auto reTopo Test

SYN7AX3RR0R

I've just tried the new auto retopo algorithm and wanted to share some of the stuff i got. I'm looking forward to playing with it some more, learning how the algorithm works and how i could control it better. Here's my first test, top images are from 3DC, Density Paint and Strokes edge-flow hints. Bottom images are from Silo, a comparison of the original mesh (from Sculptris) and the 3DC auto reTopo mesh.

3DC_auto-reTopo.jpg

Why don't you have it right now? It's in the current 3DC version.

because I have been busy IRL and just getting a chance to sit down and catch up on the forums. got a new grandbaby I been having to babysit while my son is overseas in the military. hes 3 months old and demands a lot of attention )))

Joe

PS and spoiling lol

proflooney, yes you can control the poly count; also poly density by area (that's the first image in my post, you paint the poly density map)

the poly count is dependant on several factors, it takes a bit of time to get a hang of. the whole process needs a bit of playing with to

i just read this on andrew's twitter:

Also I improved following guides-strokes in auto-retopo. 3DC will follow guides much better.

8:53 AM Aug 11th

looking forward to try the new algorithm out. i've had success using guides on broad areas but not in tight areas with lots of detail

here' s a suggestion for andrew in terms of reTopo polycount.

i would love to be able to 'hint' the poly size. it's a much more visual way of dealing with polycount.

- paint density hint

- draw guides

- use something like 'points and faces' to create a polygon (leaning on a guide) in certain areas to hint polygon size/density and flow.

make any sence?

I sorta understand it though I dont understand how to do any of it yet as I keep getting a crash error when I try which I posted a couple days ago. this is the first time in a couple days I was able to get the forum to open so I could see if there were any replies to my report. I attached the obj for the character I need retopoed and wonder if someone could try her with the auto retopo and see if you get a crash too. this will let me know if its in the model or something else. I want to try and get her down from this 20ish k poly count down to abt 5 or 6k. the main thing i am trying to do is put even polys around here instead of a concentrated amount in the face and the rest spread out as it kills me when I try to subdivide further but I have only been modeling for a hair over 3 weeks now and not got the hang of low poly faces.

Joe

female1.rar

i run the updated version through a file with the same guides (i had to repaint density as it is not saved [this should now get saved with the file ... hint andrew :) ])

the new version of autoreTopo v3.3.12 is following guides much better, yes.

here's the same model with same guides as before

3DC_auto-reTopo_02.jpg

i run the updated version through a file with the same guides (i had to repaint density as it is not saved [this should now get saved with the file ... hint andrew :) ])

the new version of autoreTopo v3.3.12 is following guides much better, yes.

Nice wanna try the file I posted above for me? i keep trying it with every new update but my prog still crashes on me when I try to autotopo it.

Joe

Well, post it as a bug report if you haven't already.

I did posted both the crash reports in the error bug forum under titlee of like crash vers 3.10 and put the 11 report there also. I am wanting someone else to try the file I posted a couple posts above in case its just the file. I tried a low poly figure and though i dont know how to do the line thingys yet it didnt crash on me

Joe

• Advanced Member

nice test results, SYN7AX3RR0R. :)

(you stroked his winkie too? lol)

proflooney - looks like that's the makehuman model?...couple of things to consider before bringing it into 3DC:

- you've still got teeth/tongue/mouth-sock, which is probably creating some issues

- eye holes exist as well (not closed)

- you'll have to bump up the resolution by sub-dividing the model quite a bit, or you'll lose definition in ears,

fingers, toes

To be honest, it might be easier to just import in for microvertex (say 100k+ carcass, with 4 mil polys), then

retopo it manually. Takes a minute to draw strokes for arms/legs/fingers/neck/torso then connect 'em (which takes

a bit longer, of course)...I don't think the algorithm is really ready for 'low-poly' animated game models yet,

unless you don't care about wasting polys on mainly uniform spacing (as opposed to strategically hitting your edgeflow).

(sorry to derail, SYN7AX3RR0R) :(

proflooney - looks like that's the makehuman model?...couple of things to consider before bringing it into 3DC:

- you've still got teeth/tongue/mouth-sock, which is probably creating some issues

- eye holes exist as well (not closed)

- you'll have to bump up the resolution by sub-dividing the model quite a bit, or you'll lose definition in ears,

fingers, toes

thanks. it is one i found on the web. there is no mouth interior in it, and I checked it over and the polys dont seem to have any problems with them. might be something with the eye sockets but i thought the prog worked with open mesh so didnt worry about them. I tried a male low even poly model to get a lower poly count and he had open eye sockets.

I dont care about losing some inner ear detail I can redo that. I just want like you said and that is an even poly count over the whole form. I hate when the face has a dense polycount on a semi low poly model as when I sub divide the model for super detailing I cant get the polycount I need because the face maxes out before the rest does.

I tried doing it manually but I have only been modeling for a little over a month and my polying sux I get all kinds of different size polys and they are wavy and all kinds of stuff and i end up have troubkles with it when detailing, thats why i was wanting to autoretopo this gal as I have low p[oly male now want a female and i will be set with 2 real nice base meshes.

Joe

• Advanced Member

Voxels dont work with open meshes. Voxels are a solid they need a solid closed mesh to fill. It can auto close the holes but I'm sure that could never be entirely perfect.

I merged that mesh into voxels closed it and it worked fine with quadrangulation, proflooney.

Voxels dont work with open meshes. Voxels are a solid they need a solid closed mesh to fill. It can auto close the holes but I'm sure that could never be entirely perfect.

I merged that mesh into voxels closed it and it worked fine with quadrangulation, proflooney.

ok thanks I will have to read up on how to do what you just did with that voxels thingy and try it. thanks for testing it for me I guess the prob was not the prog but the mesh which is what I wanted to be sure of.

joe

is there a way for andrew to program presets into the auto retopo feature that would allow retopology generation based on some pre-existing edge flows for character faces and the like? that could perhaps be loaded in, and then we could warp it in real time to conform to the difference in the mesh shape we want to retopologize. or we can save edge flows of our own to reload and alter later.

• Contributor

is there a way for andrew to program presets into the auto retopo feature that would allow retopology generation based on some pre-existing edge flows for character faces and the like? that could perhaps be loaded in, and then we could warp it in real time to conform to the difference in the mesh shape we want to retopologize. or we can save edge flows of our own to reload and alter later.

You can copy your "preexisting edge flows" with the Stroke tool before you quadrangulate.

• 3 weeks later...

here's my second go at auto retopo. this time with an actual purpose.

i'm doing a challenge ovet at CGSculpt, my initial sculpt is in sculptris and i wanted to take it to some other package for posing detailing, probably ZBrush. i wanted to share this as there's still not too many auto retopo screenshots out there.

bbc_autoRetopo_01a.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_01b.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_02a.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_02b.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_03a.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_03b.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_04a.jpg

bbc_autoRetopo_04b.jpg

sorry for big images, i'll edit the post when i get time.

topo looks great I gave up on trying to figure it out my stuff all looks like crap and cant get a nice clear model to draw on. I dunno if im just confused or too dumb but cant seem to get the hang of it at all ((

But glad its working great for others nice to see things coming together for the prog.

joe

• Advanced Member

Topo doesn't look great to me.

The only thing I see is a first subdivision that turned all 5gons to stat like tris. Sorry, not good for me.

But I don't mean you did this. Its the way that this algorithm is working. Because some 5gones still exist. This makes it impossible to rebuild subdivisions in zb or blender.

sorry wasnt meaning it was perfect but it looks good to me compared to the crap I get. I am just trying to get my 26k figure cut down in poly count and i end up with junk. thats why i said looks good to me because other than a few spots its a pretty equally sized set of polys with a nice flow to them

• Advanced Member

it's definitely not perfect *yet* (and appears Andrew is currently addressing it re: his Twitter postings).

If he can't solve it 'to perfection', I'm in agreement that some means of locating the n-gons would be desired.

Thankfully, the algorithm is also producing a handy triangle next to the n-gon, which proves for a relatively

painless solution. :)

post-475-12839764941423_thumb.gif

• Reputable Contributor

Michalis, why do you have to be so set on bashing this toolset? There are a number of objects where it works so well that I have to giggle a bit...and then others where it gets close but just not quite there yet. Why can't you try to be part of the solution instead of taking every opportunity you can to take a swipe at Andrew's work?

I've had some issues in the Retopo room and some nasty crashes, but instead of coming here and throwing a fit for everyone to see, I just get with Andrew about the problems, and he does his best to fix them....that's why you have 3.3.14D. If you want solutions, make it as easy as you can for him to get straight to the problem. I don't like having to stop what I'm doing to upload a large file to a sharing site (adrive.com is the best one I have seen thus far), and make a screen capture video...it usually takes me about 10-20 mins to do all this, but it probably saves Andrew hours of investigating/diagnosing where the problem lays.

I usually just manually re-topo any ngons or triangles if I need quads. The autopo tool isn't going to make perfect results, sometimes it's closer than others when used...

That is of course under the current algorithm, it would be best to wait and see what Andrew comes up with wit the improvements.

michalis, you really pulled my smart-ass string LOL

no offense, but i don't get what you're talking about. are you hoping for a feature quality forground character no-tweak-auto-reTopo tool? i doubt you'll get that any time soon bro.

you have an issue with a couple of ngons and such, so what's the alternative? manual retopo? retopo at all, or would you rather old school box model it LOL

i've already used the old auto reTopo algorithm in production on commercials for props both in foreground and bg. stuff coming from sculpting packages that we'd retopo and use normals on (we managed to avoid displacements). i've also already used the new algorithm in production on a documentary, and it rocks. it's working amazingly good.

YES, ofcourse there is lot of room for improvement, naturally. BTW, how long since andrew released this as a public beta? a month? have some faith dude.

so back to the question at hand. i need to finish this sculpt pronto, i'm done with the concept sculpt in sculptris and want to get this in Z for posing and detailing. for a 15 min 3DC, and 20 min silo cleanup and polygroup setup job i'm more than happy with this. too bad you're blinded by a couple of ngons to see the production value in this.

the re-topoed mesh was subDived 2 times and projected to get back the detail, polycount ~460 K

auto-reTopo_to_ZB.jpg

Thsnks for the tut abnranger I will see if I can get something working on my model.

Syn7ax my wife says monsters arent supposed to have big dongs haning down rofl. I like it it really gives the sculpt a lot of character.

this is the latest one I need to get retopoed. not sure how hard its gonna be for me with her posed like that and her fists clenched but I am determined to figure this dang thing out lol

lucy25.jpg