3DCoat Forums

Shrunken Head.obj?

Shawn Driscoll

• Advanced Member

I assume you are talking about the micro vertex room with smooth object enabled?

I think the smooth object button is designed for Sub-D meshes when coming from another software package.

If you'd have a low res cube with 6 faces, use Sub-D on it then you would get a sphere.

What you can do is export the high res mesh obviously and then paint ontop of it but this way you will loose your low res model since the painting is based on the high res model's UV's.

When you export the low res cube (which has just 6 faces) and import into 3DCoat using "smooth object" you cube would become a sphere but when you press the shortcut "6" you will toggle between the high res/low res model.

The low res obviously being the model where the painting is based on.

I hope you understood all what I just said here.. :)

** edit **

I found a simple video that explains more in depth what this Sub-D does:

• Advanced Member

I'm taking about PPP mode and importing the sample head.obj model with subdivision chosen.

http://www.shonner.com/drafts/polygon_smoothing.htm shows how low-poly objects do shrink a bit. With more polys, there is almost no shrinkage. The head.obj seems to have enough polys in it that it would not shrink when smoothed just a little.

Other sample OBJs don't shrink as much. My own OBJs don't shrink. So I'm wondering why the head.obj model is so small? Or is the camera being moved away from the model? I have to bring the camera in closer when this happens before I can do any painting.

• 2 weeks later...