3DCoat Forums

Help - Re-using the topologyzed mesh as a new reference - artifacts

junaum

Hi there

I'm working on a hard surface model originaly created in 3D studio Max using spline surface technique. Now I'm re-topologyzing it on 3D-coat. After that process, I plan add more details to the new mesh (correct topology one) so I would like to start a new topology process by using the the very re-topologyzed mesh AS reference. But there is a catch: when I import the same mesh as reference AND as topology, they don't fit. I got lots of artifacts and distortions. We are talking about the same file here so they should just fit over each perfectly shouldn't ?

The process goes like:

- File / import reference mesh / test.obj

- retopo / commands / import / test.obj

- enter

Here goes pics of the 3 steps and the result:

The new topo over the old/hi-res mesh:

bug1.jpg

The new topo being imported as a reference:

bug2.jpg

The same topo being imported as "topo" over itself as "reference" - not fiting perfectly.

bug3.jpg

So, any thoughts? For my current pipeline, being able to recycle and add detail/topology to a currently fixed topology, using it's latest version as reference, would be simply amazing. It could even make it possible to swap between multiple softwares to work on the topology during the process without fear of it getting messed.

Any help will be apreciated.

• Advanced Member

It looks a bit like some sort of irregular poly is causing a problem, perhaps an unmerged point or double polygon? You might want to post this as a bug in one of the support forums if you do not find a problem with the mesh. It might just be easier to start a new retopo mesh from scratch though if the reference object import is ok.