3DCoat Forums

How do I import a model and its "voxel painted" textures and materials from 3dcoat to blender?

3dnerd

First of all hi everybody, I am totally new here, and new to the 3d world in general.

I've made a sculpt in 3d coat and painted over it's voxels.

I exported the model as obj and imported it to blender, now I have no idea how to transfer to blender the materials and textures I painted into the "paint room" of 3d coat over my voxel sculpt.

In 3d coat I painted just over the voxel sculpt. Is that a "ptex" texture? Is it possible to export it into some file format? Sorry for my noob questions, I am totally new to this world, and sorry for my english I am not mother tongue. Cheers, and thank you in advance.

• Reputable Contributor

When you do Vertex Painting > Export, you are exporting a very dense mesh, which stores all the color and specular information within the vertices....rather than on a texture map. So, in Blender, you would need to apply a Vertex Color Map into the Diffuse channel of whatever shader/material you are using.

When you do Vertex Painting > Export, you are exporting a very dense mesh, which stores all the color and specular information within the vertices....rather than on a texture map. So, in Blender, you would need to apply a Vertex Color Map into the Diffuse channel of whatever shader/material you are using.

I discovered problems importing models with sub layers into blender, they don't show at all.

Do zbrush support vertex painting import? I haven't find anything about that.

• Reputable Contributor

You don't import sub layers into Blender. OBJ files just import/export all the meshes/objects in the scene, unless you choose to "export selected." I would export .ply or .fbx as they allow higher bit depth than OBJ files.

• Reputable Contributor

As to how Blender handles dense meshes and vertex paint, I wouldn't know. I don't use it. Some here do, but you might get a quicker answer on the Blender forums. I'm not sure how you would access/apply Vertex Color maps there.

• Reputable Contributor

First, you are not painting voxels. When you start painting in the paint room you are switched to surface mode which is true polygons..

Blender does not support vertex colors in a obj file. Choose the Ply file format for exporting instead.

Export out as scene and not object if you have more than one layer.  Right click on a voxtree layer / export / scene.

I had one ball as the parent and the other as the child layer.

Blender Cycles, use the nodes to setup for your vertex colors (paint) to show in the rendering using the Attribute Node.

Under the Data,Object tab, copy the "Col" under the vertex colors tab and paste into the Attribute node.

This is not a Blender tutorial, if you do not know how to do the above for Blender, there are lots of Youtube videos...

Simple balls each with their own vertex full color just to show it works. Rendered using Blender Cycles.  Nothing fancy at all as they are just balls with full color...

post-518-0-15348600-1400465796_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

First, you are not painting voxels. When you start painting in the paint room you are switched to surface mode which is true polygons..

Blender does not support vertex colors in a obj file. Choose the Ply file format for exporting instead.

Export out as scene and not object if you have more than one layer.  Right click on a voxtree layer / export / scene.

I had one ball as the parent and the other as the child layer.

Blender Cycles, use the nodes to setup for your vertex colors (paint) to show in the rendering using the Attribute Node.

Under the Data,Object tab, copy the "Col" under the vertex colors tab and paste into the Attribute node.

This is not a Blender tutorial, if you do not know how to do the above for Blender, there are lots of Youtube videos...

Simple balls each with their own vertex full color just to show it works. Rendered using Blender Cycles.  Nothing fancy at all as they are just balls with full color...

Is there a way in 3dcoat to convert the vertex paint to an uv texture? so that I can import it into zbrush

• Reputable Contributor

Is there a way in 3dcoat to convert the vertex paint to an uv texture? so that I can import it into zbrush

In order to have a texture map, you need UV coordinates (UV map). In order to get a UV Map, you will likely want to use a lower poly version of your model, to apply UV seams > Unwrap. That's where the Retopology tools (including Auto-Retopo) come into play. So you have a more manageable version to work with and bake all your texture maps onto. The last few videos in the "Intro to 3D Coat" series (3DC Youtube channel) covers the texture baking options in some detail. You may want to name your Vertex Color paint layers, using a "Vox" prefix or suffix so they are easily distinguished from the layers that will be created when you merge (baking process) from the Retopo Room to the Paint room.

In order to have a texture map, you need UV coordinates (UV map). In order to get a UV Map, you will likely want to use a lower poly version of your model, to apply UV seams > Unwrap. That's where the Retopology tools (including Auto-Retopo) come into play. So you have a more manageable version to work with and bake all your texture maps onto. The last few videos in the "Intro to 3D Coat" series (3DC Youtube channel) covers the texture baking options in some detail. You may want to name your Vertex Color paint layers, using a "Vox" prefix or suffix so they are easily distinguished from the layers that will be created when you merge (baking process) from the Retopo Room to the Paint room.

Thx, so retopology is mandatory.

Btw this is the result of my first attempt to 3d coat and my first finished 3d sculpt ever, criticisms and suggestions are welcome:

http://postimg.org/image/d50jjacjt/

http://postimg.org/image/a3k56d15x/

http://postimg.org/image/e0urxbtod/

Edited by 3dnerd
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

It's necessary if you want to bake your Vertex painting down to texture maps. It's to dense to try and apply a UV map, without retopologizing the model, first. Granted, if you started from a base, low poly mesh in an external app, then you could just use that as your Retopo mesh