3DCoat Forums

Spacedraw 3D modeling for Android

I just installed the free trial of this app. It looks like it's very powerful and can handle quite a lot, though the interface is currently quite confusing. If I can figure it out it looks well worth $5.00. Poly and patch modeling, 3D texture painting, procedural textures...

https://play.google....isoft.spacedraw

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a novice in modelling and i have no pc only a tab, that's why when this spacedraw app appear it was a great event for me ! I don't know why there's so few download of the app on the market ... i think it's a shame because it seem very pro compare to the other app on the market (there's wasn't really any real editing 3d tool before ) i join two pics of a head i've made with the app ...i hope that some day good artist as you people will try modeling on android too !

post-16720-0-40232100-1351877180_thumb.j

post-16720-0-12548900-1351877213_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I'm a novice in modelling and i have no pc only a tab, that's why when this spacedraw app appear it was a great event for me ! I don't know why there's so few download of the app on the market ... i think it's a shame because it seem very pro compare to the other app on the market (there's wasn't really any real editing 3d tool before ) i join two pics of a head i've made with the app ...i hope that some day good artist as you people will try modeling on android too !

I think it's a good program, but is not user friendly. For me, I use pro 3d applications in pc/mac, I have difficult to understand how to use this program. A lot of things don't make sense to me. I think the core code is powerfull and solid, but it needs a total redesign interface and menu commands for make more attractive. The programmer need to see aplications like silo ( How this work in modeling process and your commands) and adapt to a touch screen.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Here are the few first tests I did with Spacedraw. Posted in chronological order from tests to learn Spacedraw the last modeling finished yesterday. It's been enough to convince me that definitely : it makes modeling on Tablets / Smartphones (Android only) a reality. I was waiting for something like that for years. Scalisoft is improving it and an update is to be released in a few days.

01-House.jpg

02-Corridor.jpg

03-factory.jpg

04-Inflate.jpg

05-Diverge.jpg

06-ElfArcher.jpg

07-Tank.jpg

08-Cathedral.jpg

09-CoffeeTime.jpg

10-SnowyHouse.jpg

12-Cupcake.jpg

13-Sandals.jpg

14-Bedroom.jpg

15-BeastMaster.jpg

HanSoloCambo.

16-DarkUnderground.jpg

I finished this quick scene today, just to make a few tests on two other Spacedraw lights I barely ever used before.

Thanks philnolan3D. I really thought there was nothing like that on Smartphones a few months. Now I use Spacedraw nearly everyday and it's a really nice app. New version will be on the store in two weeks maximum. I asked Scalisoft by mail.

I never used keyboard-mouse on my phone. But I would tend to agree : Spacedraw has been thought for multi touch. With a keyboard-mouse you'd loose most of what's attractive in this app : controlling many actions with multiple fingers.

Ah too bad. Its not really accurate to work with fingers. If I had a 50inch touch panel I would have the same accuracy of a mouse cursor on a desktop. Looks fun to play with though.

it's as accurate as with a mouse or touchpad - in Spacedraw, the screen essentially works as a touchpad. I'm able to move the pointer as accurate as the mouse pointer on a notebook with a touchpad. give it a try!

Navigation in the vue work really fine. Takes a few scenes to grab it all. I'm using only the small screen of a SG3 mini and I don't really feel it's too small. Everything can be modified from the menu properties. Maybe work on that first. it helps big time.

Work in progress of the next scene I began yesterday. I'll post more soon.

17-SWdoor.jpg

i want autodesks 123D for android, but it looks like they are gonna leave it apple only :(

People have been begging for that for ages on the official forum. Although from what I hear the ios one is pretty horrible.  Actually I haven't tried for a while but for a long time I couldn't get it to accept images from my desktop and othr people were having the same problem.

What I'm really hoping for is this 3D scanning app from ETH Zurich. It looks amazing but sadly no APK to share.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/12/this-app-can-turn-your-smartphone-into-a-3d-scanner/

16-DarkUnderground.jpg

I finished this quick scene today, just to make a few tests on two other Spacedraw lights I barely ever used before.

Thanks philnolan3D. I really thought there was nothing like that on Smartphones a few months. Now I use Spacedraw nearly everyday and it's a really nice app. New version will be on the store in two weeks maximum. I asked Scalisoft by mail.

I never used keyboard-mouse on my phone. But I would tend to agree : Spacedraw has been thought for multi touch. With a keyboard-mouse you'd loose most of what's attractive in this app : controlling many actions with multiple fingers.

a bit too dark - I can hardly see any details, I'd turn on the lights a bit more

I should and I will :) I received an answer from Scalisoft and the new version could be released by the end of this week. I'll have a look at what's new and figure out what kind of tuto I'll do to show enough tools in one go.

At first it'll do tutos of poly modeling and texturing. That's what I use the most.

Very soon ;)

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com

• Advanced Member

Are these renders done in Spacedraw too?

I've messed around with it and eventually was able to figure out the UI, but I am impressed by what you've been able to produce...Maybe I'll brush it off and do some tests in it.

If your device is rooted, you can install a screen recorder app and do some tutorials.  That'd be really cool.

Peace,

G

I should and I will :) I received an answer from Scalisoft and the new version could be released by the end of this week. I'll have a look at what's new and figure out what kind of tuto I'll do to show enough tools in one go.

At first it'll do tutos of poly modeling and texturing. That's what I use the most.

Very soon ;)

Yep, the next version, Spacedraw 1.1 will be released tomorrow, and further extensive updates will follow soon, and bring i.a. fundamental usability improvements, interactive tutorials, a complete revision of the painting tools, and a substantial performance increase!

To be fair: For his amazing work, hansolo was actually using beta versions of Spacedraw 1.1, that fixes over 20 bugs and adds more than 10 important features.

• Like 1

Ah, I had a suspicion that it may have been a beta version. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Will it only be updated on the Play Store tomorrow?  I think I got my key from the Amazon Appstore. As it turns out the day after tomorrow is my birthday so this will be a nice present.

I'm working on tutorials at the moment. But it's kinda tricky. I try to rehearse a bit the modeling to avoid hesitations that would make the video too long. My biggest pb being : I have only a Samsung S3 Mini and it's not really powerful enough to model and record in the meantime. It works but the quality'll be low. I'll put some tuto videos somewhere in a week,  probably less. And I'll let a message here.The Images you see are no renders. But screen shots. Every  light is just a bright texture with a high diffuse and emission values. Light effects and shadows are in the texture or made with vertex color and some extra edge cutting. Glows are photoshopped (only thing I added with an external app).That's not the kind of methods you use for XBox, sure ;). But that's how most of the games on Android or MMORPGs multi plateform like Arcane Legends are made.

Edited by hansolocambo@gmail.com

While working on some other scenes, I began to screen record some video tutorials of Spacedraw. Quality is very average because my device is only an S3 Mini, but it'll be a good kick start for those who'd like to learn how to quick model on Spacedraw. A simple search on YouTube for "spacedraw" should do the trick.

Only two there I put this morning. More to come during the week.