3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Updated to 3.7.11A

Changes:

- many brushes updated:

Voxel: grow/airbrush/build

Surface: Draw/Clay/Builup/Expand/Extrude/Gum/Rapid/Rapid2/Scratches/Scratches2/Mud/Mud2

LC: LiveClay/BuildClay/CreaseClay/TubeClay/Smudge/InflateClay/FlattenClay/GeneralBrush

- Absolute brush was essentially updated - now it is compatible with LC brushes and works more smoothly in terms of surface shape.

- a bit more multithreading in LC brushes (but not completely multithreaded).

• Applink Developer

Looking pretty nice. Thou in voxel surface mode DX and GL still gives two diffrent tablet results for me. GL beeing much better. Here is a picture.

post-1165-0-55251000-1336491528_thumb.pn

Also I don't know do I like it that brush pressure default was changed into "Brush pressure only affects draw depth" needs more testing...

• Contributor

Wow,I am not able to reproduce dotting effect with Creaseclay even with pretty fast strokes on a an 11 mil body,its amazing feeling. :)

(I still need to set it to 200-300 depth tough).Flattenclay feels great too...smoothing also feels much faster (strange,ts not in your list of changed stuff)

On my side it very feels like the best sculpting level 3DCoat has reached since it started.I hope it will work for everybody.Its really day and night from a few days ago to me.It feels like the sculpting portion of the software made a one year leap foward...

(Now if we could make custom brushes that would be cool,brushes presently do not store anything when using Duplicate fonction:to be able to make custom brusheswe need those setthings to be stored and remembered:

interpolate on/off,Alpha(pen)+pen options,falloff,depth,radius,smoothing value,E-panel mode,Invert tool action on/off,+all brush specific settings,

• Reputable Contributor

I started this speed sculpt on the default 14,000 polygon sphere just to see how my own LC brushes and custom alphas would work on a low polygon model with the new brush routine. I think I used one alpha, I did not create too.

The sculpt ended up at 61,000 polygon tris.

The remove stretching routine also appears to get a boost too... most noticeable on the lips using the surface mode pinch brush. Not bad for such few tris...

The new brush routine works well even on very low polygons models in surface mode, not bad... B)

post-518-0-62225000-1336501140_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I hate to be the only person being a buzzkill about the new build, but took some screenshots to show the problems I'm having with DX vs. GL version.

Windows 64, 12gb ram GTX 470, i7 3.06Ghz quad core

post-2104-0-81330900-1336506719_thumb.pn

• Reputable Contributor

I hate to be the only person being a buzzkill about the new build, but took some screenshots to show the problems I'm having with DX vs. GL version.

Windows 64, 12gb ram GTX 470, i7 3.06Ghz quad core

You are not being a buzzkill, don't worry about it

Posting results is what helps Andrew see what is going between many users and computer configurations....

I still am having a few problems with the draw brush but other brushes work great including my own created LC brushes.

I'm still testing and busy today so posting stuff will have to wait till later...

• Reputable Contributor

Version 3.7.11B is so good to work with, plus Andrew will be polishing the brushes and optimizing the new brush routine...

This speed sculpt was just fun to do, Surface mode is not so bumpy now, The mesh relaxes under you brush better and smooth does not produce the amount of poles in the mesh as it use to...

I lost some of the sharpness of the crisp edges because if you use the move tool even on a smaller area it seems to interpolate the entire mesh and you lose some crispness on the edges. There are some areas that need to be sharpen as well.

600,000 tri-polygons including the stand in surface mode...

post-518-0-08020400-1336600511_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Andrew,

New brushes are really cool!

Not sure if this is something anyone else is noticing or if its a feature and not a bug but I've noticed that when I switch over to surface mode and do some sculpting then increase the resolution of the layer in the vox tree I lose all my sculpting from the surface tools?

• Advanced Member

I have to say the changes to the brush system aren't very good at all, especially everything having to do with performance. No not good at all...rather they're totally awesome (ha ha, I got you)! I've been enjoying myself all afternoon. Everything is buttery smooth with 3.7.11B DX. Well done once again, Andrew! :)

One quick question; is it possible to assign a hotkey to the "Invert tool action" toggle? If not, could we get a feature to do so? Or perhaps you could add an option we can enable in the preferences menu so that a fast double tap of the CTRL key toggles it on and off. It's really nice to have that toggle for many of the tools and a hotkey would make it even better. That way I won't need to constantly interrupt what I'm doing in order to move my cursor to the upper left repeatedly. I know I can already hold the CTRL key down, but that gets tiring after a while. Especially on my SpaceMouse Pro which is still new and thus has a fair bit of resistance. Thanks!

when I switch over to surface mode and do some sculpting then increase the resolution of the layer in the vox tree I lose all my sculpting from the surface tools?

yes, same here