3DCoat Forums

Retopo and UV export/import within retopo room

I can't see the screen after spending hours staring at it blankly...

So I retopo'd a flat plane, to use in cloth simulation. then I created my UV seams quite simply in the retopo room. That's where all the problems started.

I simply wanted to export the UV's to an image file so I could create a texture, then to re-import to apply to the mesh I'd remade with the topology tools, then to use that as the cloth simulation. I saved the .mesh file, but that didn't seem to be the way to do it.  I exported using the file menu, then opened the onj file in my usual modeller/renderer and sorted the texture there, then saved the new textured object as an obj file, then... Now I'm at my qits end and have been up all night, trying to work this all out.

How do I do this in a  simple manner please? The manual contains very few details about doing anything with UVs in the retopo room, and I couldn't find any specific videos on the subject.  The object will be very complex once it's simulated cloth and applied to the object, so I want to do it while the cloth object is a plane.

It took me ages to work out I couldn't simply export what I could see on screen in the UV layout panel,in the retopo room, I tried... so... many videos and sites.

I need sleep now that it's Sunday morning, just after 7.00am.  If anyone could help point me in the right direction, I'd be sincerely grateful, and so would any premature grey hair that's forming.

If any of this doesn't make sense, I'm sorry, but I'm having trouble seeing the keyboard properly right now.

Image is what it looks like in 3Dc right now.
post-11720-0-76905100-1379226012_thumb.j

• Contributor

The object here (I think) is to paint a mesh, perhaps with a pattern like plaid, and use it in the cloth simulation so that the pattern is corectly distributed, which is tedious and difficult in the Paint room a finished model. That's a problem that the wiz-bang cloth program mentioned elswhere in the forum accomplished with ease.

Edited by Tony Nemo

Thankyou both. That last image I posted additionally is what the UV worked as. So exporting the object with UV worked fine.  I opened it in my program and then applied textures etc.  Then I saved it as an obj again.  Then going in to the voxel room and choosing the object on disk as the item to use as cloth bought it in minus the textures... which, well, why did I just spend a while texturing and everything if it's back to the same object that I had in the retopo room... gosh, I'm so running around in circles with this one.

• Advanced Member

I see the sense of what you are trying to do, but it seems you are swimming upstream against the 3D-Coat workflow river.  The price of sculpting in the vox room free from restrictive topology constraints is that the Vox room is pretty much a UV-free zone.   

With the object you have, I think you could take it from retopo room to the cloth simulation.  When you are done, go to the retopo room.  Once there, do some manual work to conform the original flat retopo mesh to the new shape.  Basically you have to bend down those three triangles in front.  Merge that, bring in your already finished artwork and apply it.

I'm not 100% sure that will work, but that is the direction I would explore.