3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Reputable Contributor

Well hopefully we'll get on some bug fixes. 4 voxel room seems slower, I've not done apples to apples testing but I'm pretty sure its from the better result mesh technique is much slower. But I'd definitely recommend leaving 3.7 on your computer. I feel 4 is unusable currently.

This is the first beta version 4 and for it to be completely ready for the big time is not what I was expecting. Version Beta 4 installs to it own folder and does not interfere with 3.7. No need to overwrite anything.

I'm sure all bugs will get there time under the Andrew and Raul bug squashing hammer... :D

Plus optimizing the code, esp LC I'm sure would be on the list...

• Advanced Member

This is the first beta version 4 and for it to be completely ready for the big time is not what I was expecting. Version Beta 4 installs to it own folder and does not interfere with 3.7. No need to overwrite anything.

I'm sure all bugs will get there time under the Andrew and Raul bug squashing hammer... :D

Plus optimizing the code, esp LC I'm sure would be on the list...

Andrew and Raul working together...

Damn that sounds good..

• Contributor

I don't know about you, but I find the new logo a bit sad, like a tad too dark. Using it in the start menu is not really something motivating to work in 3dcoat.

Imho and Iknow it's nitpicking but a change in that direction would help (maybe not that extreme though):

cosmeticnitpicking.gif

Right now with the brightness on the glowpainting in the back it looks like the Logo is secondary.

If Iwere trying to read your intention with it, I could probably go like this "3dcoat is the app that has shiny things in the back but is very obscure in the front end". Doesn't really convey the idea with all the ui changes incoming imo :)

Let it shine !

• Reputable Contributor

Can we get rid of the green too... :D . Green and yellow = decay... example, old broccoli..

Love 3DCoat but the logo well, never has been a favorite of mine. I know what is under the hood is more important, but a green and yellow car would not turn my head to look at it... <_<

• Contributor

Can we get rid of the green too... :D . Green and yellow = decay... example, old broccoli..

Love 3DCoat but the logo well, never has been a favorite of mine. I know what is under the hood is more important, but a green and yellow car would not turn my head to look at it... <_<

To be perfectly honest, and Idon't want to hurt the author, but the logo always looked toyish to me. It doesn't look "solid" in the design, without pun intended ;)

Less is more, and 3dcoat could definitely do better with a more streamlined/minimalistic logo.

But that's easy to say I agree.

Abut the color: well yes and no. I'm a follower of greentooth if you know it ^^ I personally associated 3dcoat with green, and since there's not really a software with that color chart, well it seems like a good idea to keep it to be more visible.

Like zbrush got grey and orange, and mudbox got nothing, 3dcoat could stand on his own with green.

I don't know about you, but I find the new logo a bit sad, like a tad too dark.

I actually thought exactly the same thing, I would think the logo should be the brightest thing, standing out the most.

Green with red would lend a festive air.

Reminds me of last December's Christmas themed logo.

Updated to BETA3. Linux & Mac expected really soon, sources sent to compilation.

- Different actions assigned to SHIFT and CTRL SHIFT - see at top in surface mode. Powerful smooth is not polished enough, will be improved.

- Set of retopo bugs fixed

- Close/make holes improved a lot, but we continue to work over it

- Wireframe rendering speed and quality improved a lot. Now it works according to View->Show wireframe. By default W assigned but F4 may remain from previous install. Then you need to re-assign it manually.

• Reputable Contributor

Are there any plans to change from Cuda 3 to Cuda 4.2 for Linux 3DCoat version 4 ... Version Cuda 5 is still a RC.

4.2.9 has been around for a while and is pretty stable, which is the version I am using...

I do know from the linux programmer that you can run cuda 3 and 4 side by side but I rather not have two versions of cuda as it might effect other software I am using.

New Linux users of 3DCoat will in most cases have 4.2.9 installed if they are running any other GPU enabled software.

• Contributor

Btw Andrew, tnx for packaging cuda and non cuda in the same setup file, much more efficient that way :)

Detalize/more :good:

PowerfulSmoothing :good: (but need a detail slider or maybe adjust with radius size smoothing value?)

Really love this new alternate shift/ctrl+shift.

Tangent smoothing doesn't do anything though.

And a toggle wireframe is very welcome addition too (now if you could make it cull backfaces completely that would be awesome)

I don't know about you, but I find the new logo a bit sad, like a tad too dark. Using it in the start menu is not really something motivating to work in 3dcoat.

Imho and Iknow it's nitpicking but a change in that direction would help (maybe not that extreme though):

cosmeticnitpicking.gif

Right now with the brightness on the glowpainting in the back it looks like the Logo is secondary.

If Iwere trying to read your intention with it, I could probably go like this "3dcoat is the app that has shiny things in the back but is very obscure in the front end". Doesn't really convey the idea with all the ui changes incoming imo :)

Let it shine !

Yeah I've held my tongue on this new boot up screen with the logo. It looks... Err, terrible. The yellow with green isn't working for me, and it is as you said, extremely dark. It conveys the idea to me that "lights out" is in effect. "Hey, we're all asleep!" or "Nothing to see here, move along.". And the icons for the different modes, they are OK, and the text? I'm not sure what some of these modes even are relative to what they are called. I could take a guess but would I be correct? I wouldn't even want to guess if I were a new user, they should be clearly labeled what they are.

After all the work we went through to help push the UI in the right direction, this bootup screen looks & feels out of place and hapharzard. Why wasn't it talked about in the UI discussion section where we could hash it out?

• Contributor

To be honest, I don't like it either, it could have been much nicer on the eye (thinking thumbs not icons) but I don't really care, I never use that menu (like I said my previous comment was nitpicking).

I don't know why it wasn't discussed, I lost track of those discussions at some point and since I kinda retired myself I won't blame anyone for going forward.

• Contributor

I like new start up meshes,the head+nose/ears is great and mannequin too.

I think even tough there is a lot of start up choices it is still looks better than the older one.

about logo,I really like the logo on Raul's page.

http://farsthary.wor...team-my-engine/

not sure about the broken glass tough(inside the black) but the letters are much better.

I think it could be blue intstead of orange since orange is so strongly associated to Pixologic.

• Contributor

I'm not fond of the celtic lettering. Not getting any idea from the logo either (the current logo has an idea it's still better in that regard even if it looks forced and generic with the exception of the "o").

I like it.I don't really know why. :)

• Advanced Member

mmm, I don't usually ask for stuff,cos I never know what I want! And I always think I am being cheeky... But....for Christmas I would really like a camera graticule/box in the other rooms as well as in the render room. I tend to work by laying out a shot and just make what I can see,....no point in sculpting the back of something! I have have a preset camera, but that jumps me back to the render room,then I have to jump back to voxel room to adjust...and back again to check.

• Advanced Member

Hi, are there plans for painting improvements in V4?

I'm personally really hoping for a _per-polygon_ freeze tool mode in order to correctly mask low-poly objects - this is really crucial for me right now. Also a non-tiling display of the texture while material painting would be much easier to work with, take a look at modo for how I'd like to see 3D-COAT handle manipulating textures for painting.

I realise sculpting is the current focus of the beta test but please don't neglect painting!

David

• Reputable Contributor

Hi, are there plans for painting improvements in V4?

I'm personally really hoping for a _per-polygon_ freeze tool mode in order to correctly mask low-poly objects - this is really crucial for me right now. Also a non-tiling display of the texture while material painting would be much easier to work with, take a look at modo for how I'd like to see 3D-COAT handle manipulating textures for painting.

I realise sculpting is the current focus of the beta test but please don't neglect painting!

David

You can use the last spline (paint single polygons) in the E_panel to freeze single polygons....

+1 on the non-tiling image

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

You can use the last spline (paint single polygons) in the E_panel to freeze single polygons....

+1 on the non-tiling image

Thank you so much! I wish this program was more intuitive so I could have figured this out myself but I'll take an excellent community as a good 2nd !

I hate to be the guy that says this, but... The manual is great for that kind of information. ;) When I was doing the manual I made it a point to put that kind of stuff in there, and I know Greg has taken that a step further.

RTM! :p:

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you so much! I wish this program was more intuitive so I could have figured this out myself but I'll take an excellent community as a good 2nd !

Yeah, sometimes the very thing we're looking for is right under our noses. Here's a video covering the E-Panel and you might be surprised to find out what all you can do all from within this little section.

• Like 1

Can we please stop the flashing? How about a greyscale version, much smaller? But, please, no flashing. No fluorescent colors.

I think the flashing was only done here to show how it looks vs. how it should look.

Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the "swoosh" line or particles either, but it's used in some of the new tutorials so I didn't say anything.

• Like 2