3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat equivalents to ZBrush

ohsnapitsjoel

Hi all,

I've been searching for an instructive resource for hard surface sculpting tools and workflows that are similar or alternative to those used in ZBrush.  I haven't been able to find much of use, so I've come up with a plan to make a conversion chart of sorts.  

Google "hard surface sculpting" and you'll find myriad in-depth ZBrush tutorials, but very few detailed resources on hard surface sculpting in 3D-Coat.  So, since many of the tasks in these ZBrush courses can be ported to 3D-Coat in some form or fashion through a clever combination of tools, workflows, etc., I figured I'd start a thread to begin heaping up various ideas here.

The idea is to eliminate the need for every newcomer to 3D-Coat to have to reinvent the wheel through experimentation to see which techniques work well and which don't.  

I'll be posting my discoveries as I go, but feel free to pitch in with any ideas or questions you have.  

• Contributor

2 second search using google :) ...I used keywords: Hard surface and... 3Dcoat....

also you maybe interested in a few brush presets that I made for Hardsurface sculpting in 3DCoat Liveclay/Surface mode

(they are located in the preset popup tab and are installed by default in a fresh 3DCoat install)

Flatten and Polish presets are like Zbrush Flatten  PolishD brush

Fast Trim is alot like Trim Dynamic

also Sci-Fi armor and Sci-fi armor 2 are lot like MAHCutA and MahcutB in zbrush...(better IMO because of adaptive tesselation)

Those brushes allow sculpting techiniques for hard surface sculpting that are used a lot in ZB nowadays for HS concept by artists like Ben Mauro ect...

• Thanks 1

As you can see there are users doing very good hard surface sculpt with the new tools implemented in 3DC_V4

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=148

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=87

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15442&hl=

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=55

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=46

I suppose users are very busy working and have no time to share workflows and to do any tutorials.

Hope to see more users coming to our forum showing your work and helping with tutos, as is your desire ;D

Regards !

2 second search using google :) ...I used keywords: Hard surface and... 3Dcoat....

also you maybe interested in a few brush presets that I made for Hardsurface sculpting in 3DCoat Liveclay/Surface mode

(they are located in the preset popup tab and are installed by default in a fresh 3DCoat install)

also Sci-Fi armor and Sci-fi armor 2 are lot like MAHCutA and MahcutB in zbrush...(better IMO because of adaptive tesselation)

Those brushes allow sculpting techiniques for hard surface sculpting that are used a lot in ZB nowadays for HS concept by artists like Ben Mauro ect...

Yeah, I've seen that tutorial, and I already know and use those techniques and tools :)  Thanks, though ;)  

I do very much like your presets, though. I never noticed them before!  I really like your variations on Clay and Flatten Clay, I've been using them all evening.

Really, the point of starting this thread was to find workarounds to tools that exist in ZBrush but don't have obvious counterparts in 3D-Coat.  For instance, the radial symmetry option in ZBrush - you can make a ring around a cylinder, for instance: extruding, creasing, or pinching, or what have you, with only one stroke.  You could also effectively chamfer the edge of a cylinder using that.  

I could chamfer the edge of a cylinder using the spline stroke option with, say, the flatten or scrape brush: draw a spline ring around the edge of the cylinder and Apply a few times to get a nice flat chamfer.  But is there a better way?  A tool combination I haven't thought of?

This is just one question, obviously.  I'm discovering new ways of doing all kinds of things all the time, but this is still one question I have.

Fresh insights are always helpful.

Make videos of interesting techniques you discover that you've found absent in your comparative research on the subject.

I definitely plan to.  I've just made a few tutorials on other subjects, so I'm getting "in the groove."  :)  

Another idea, from Andrew's advice.  I was asking him about a toggle to lock the flatten tool to the user's view, and he suggested this.  It's not really what I had in mind specifically, but it's still a neat idea. 

138638481969.jpg

And the result:

138638496682.jpg

Edit:  I should have done this in Voxel mode.  The same thing can be accomplished in surface mode using the Extrude tool and "View Direction" as the vector.  But this is still an option in voxel mode.

Edited by ohsnapitsjoel

• Advanced Member

For sure such comparative findings will be splendid in a video compendium of findings and tips.

Have you had some joy with the angulator tool I'm sure many tricks lurking in that?

An interesting video would be to show 3Dcoats comparisons to fx possible with zbrushes clipping brush - a highly versatile tool for not only clipping but also extruding fully around the form through masks or as a method to shape and control transitions through the lengths of forms or toward the ends of forms.

• 2 weeks later...

a highly versatile tool for not only clipping but also extruding fully around the form through masks or as a method to shape and control transitions through the lengths of forms or toward the ends of forms.

I'm not sure how you mean. I know what the clipping brush is, but I'm not sure what you mean by this.  Can you elaborate?  I'd be interested in tackling the question.

• 3 months later...

Thank you!! Was looking for something like this last night :) Even more happy now being a recent 'convert' 

• Reputable Contributor

These presets work pretty well... one thing I use a lot in Zbrush is the hPolish brush... anything like that?

On a side note, is there a way to crease the entire mesh?

The only thing I could think of is using the Angulator brush (Surface mode). You'd have to create splines (or brush select), where you want to sharpen edges > hit ENTER key (or the APPLY button in the Tool Options panel). Tangent Smooth (one of the SMOOTH ALL options in Surface mode...or can be brushed with TSmooth from the LiveClay section) will provide subtle smoothing without greatly altering the shape.