3DCoat Forums

3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)

Psmith

Hello:

I've been a new user, myself, and I think I have a feeling for what needs to be demonstrated to give any new user of 3D-Coat a nice, trouble-free introduction, (and beyond), to 3D-Coat and its strongest, most unique functionality.

3D-Coat From Scratch, Part One

Part Two

Part Three

Part Four

Part Five

Part Six

Here is a short video series that should give any new user a quick start - especially those who are tired of needing and using many applications to do relatively simple things.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

That's pretty good. :good:

Do you do voiceover work as your day job? Sounds like you could be a narrator for a nature show or something.

Good quality video too. It's so nice to have sharp video when doing software tutorials.

Tom

• Advanced Member

Dear Psmith,

Excellent work on the tutorials, they have a good flow and are very well narrated. Did you narrate as you recorded or did you do the voiceovers afterwards?

Thank you for sharing.

Ricky.

• Advanced Member

Hi Psmith,

Thank you for taking the time to put these tutorials up,they are really well put together,clear and very informative.

I've only been using 3DCoat for a couple of months,so anything like this certainly helps.

Looking forward to seeing how you paint the rat.

Thanks again.

WaveOfLight:

I'm pretty much a stickler for clean audio and narration, (I had a bit of training), so, I always do the narration afterward, one phrase or sentence at a time. Sometimes, I'll have 70 audio clips at the end of one session, which I also edit, individually, to remove any noise or pops, etc.

Because of these scruples, I'm afraid my videos are a long time coming. But there will be more, I hope, covering other topics of interest.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

WaveOfLight:I'm pretty much a stickler for clean audio and narration, (I had a bit of training), so, I always do the narration afterward, one phrase or sentence at a time. Sometimes, I'll have 70 audio clips at the end of one session, which I also edit, individually, to remove any noise or pops, etc. Because of these scruples, I'm afraid my videos are a long time coming. But there will be more, I hope, covering other topics of interest.Greg Smith

Lol. I thought that's what you'd done. I did some training videos a while ago (and some stand in character voiceovers) and it's always best to record and edit afterwards.

Seriously though, you should look at getting into some voiceover agencies as you have the right tones for voiceovers.

Ricky.

WaveOfLight:

Being from the UK, you may be familiar with the voice of Jonathan Cecil. He has done brilliant work with P.G. Wodehouse. I've never heard a voice with such a range of characterisation. You can sample him on Audible, if not elsewhere.

Great stories to go to sleep by.

And, thanks everyone, for the nice comments.

Greg Smith

Tom:

Mickey only temporarily lost his tail, I believe, in the 1940's. He got it back, sometime later.

Here's a quote from eHow:

Features

Mickey Mouse's first words were "Hot dog!" and spoken in the 1929 feature "The Karnival Kid." Over the years, the voice of Mickey Mouse has been performed by Walt Disney himself, Jim McDonald and Wayne Allwine. Allwine's wife, Russi Taylor, became the voice of Minnie Mouse, Mickey's cohort, in the 1980s. Visually, Mickey has changed appearance in subtle ways. In 1939, he got pupils, new coloring and a new body shape. In the next decade, his tail disappeared. Mickey subsequently got his tail back, lost and regained his pants, gained and lost his eyebrows and had his ears' shape briefly changed. Mickey Mouse's ears are a big part of his fame. No matter from which perspective you're looking at him, his ears look the same--round and black.

Read more: About Mickey Mouse | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4682585_mickey-mouse.html#ixzz19jQONBpD

Greg Smith

• Reputable Contributor

Tom:

Mickey only temporarily lost his tail, I believe, in the 1940's. He got it back, sometime later.

Here's a quote from eHow:

Features

Mickey Mouse's first words were "Hot dog!" and spoken in the 1929 feature "The Karnival Kid." Over the years, the voice of Mickey Mouse has been performed by Walt Disney himself, Jim McDonald and Wayne Allwine. Allwine's wife, Russi Taylor, became the voice of Minnie Mouse, Mickey's cohort, in the 1980s. Visually, Mickey has changed appearance in subtle ways. In 1939, he got pupils, new coloring and a new body shape. In the next decade, his tail disappeared. Mickey subsequently got his tail back, lost and regained his pants, gained and lost his eyebrows and had his ears' shape briefly changed. Mickey Mouse's ears are a big part of his fame. No matter from which perspective you're looking at him, his ears look the same--round and black.

Read more: About Mickey Mouse | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_4682585_mickey-mouse.html#ixzz19jQONBpD

Greg Smith

Hey Greg...nice videos and narration. Maybe one on PTex would be good. There is one by Javis, that is handy...but I have always wondered why the UV's poly's/islands in PTex seem to only take up a small percentage of the 0-1 UV texture space. If I do UV's manually...sure there will be some white space, but not nearly as much as I see whenever testing PTex. For this reason, mostly, I have never used it.

• Advanced Member

WaveOfLight:Being from the UK, you may be familiar with the voice of Jonathan Cecil. He has done brilliant work with P.G. Wodehouse. I've never heard a voice with such a range of characterisation. You can sample him on Audible, if not elsewhere.Great stories to go to sleep by.And, thanks everyone, for the nice comments.Greg Smith

I must admit I'm not familiar with Mr Cecil's work. however, I am aware of P.G. Wodehouse work and I can now make the connection with your Forum name!

Going to look through the rest of your videos today.

Thanks again.

Ricky.

Don:

I'm still having trouble with Ptex - for the same reasons you have spoken about. I just did a test, yesterday, exporting the model and maps to both Blender and Poser - and the white space seems to cause the texture to become a checker board.

It's strange, because I've gotten these textures to work in Blender before. Something must have inadvertently changed. I'll talk to Andrew about it.

Greg

Tom:

Initially, I plan to do some quick animation in Poser. I really find the "Walk Designer" - a good tool to lay down a basic walk - and then tweak to add the specifics of personality for each different character. Poser 8 was reeeaaaaly cheap, recently, so I broke down and bought it. Most people don't know you can rig and animate anything in Poser - but you can.

On the other hand, Blender shows lots of promise for rigging and non-linear animation. Especially for things like "rubber hose" arms, which the Rat will have, (partially, at least). Blender's animation system, as a whole, still confuses me, however - and I don't think it's fully done. So I'll wait a bit for a better understanding.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member

On the other hand, Blender shows lots of promise for rigging and non-linear animation. Especially for things like "rubber hose" arms, which the Rat will have, (partially, at least).

I've never used it, But I've seen what it's capable of. Big Buck Bunny is awsome.

Everybody has their opinions about what software is best, but the fact is, the software we have available to the artist today, is really pretty mind blowing.

It's really just up to a person's own skill and imagination as to what is possible.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

I am very new to 3D Coat so excuse my "dumb question". I am following the rat's teeth tutorial and started with a cylinder.

However when I add the sphere the cylinder disappears. I have tried the "unhide all" command but no help.

Any ideas of what I could be doing different? All my screen settings appear to match yours. (I think)

Thank you for the great tutorials.

There's a simple step Greg didn't say at that part, after you've positioned the cylinder you have to press Enter to actually create the voxel mesh. The cylinder you adjust, as well as other primitives and imported objects simply act as a mold to fill voxels with, then the original mesh is discarded.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat From Scratch (Video Training)
  • Carlosan unpinned this topic