3DCoat Forums

new system

my macpro died and was thinking of the new mac but cannot change graphic cards, mac uses 2 amds. problem is i use octane to render and cant use nvidea cards in the mac. thinking of going pc. what would be a strong and fast pc configuration off shelf or to build. what the reasoning at apple for their configuring the new mac that way has shut me and many other people out of the market. i know otoy might make octane to use the amd's but when. thanx any suggestions appreciated

my macpro died and was thinking of the new mac but cannot change graphic cards, mac uses 2 amds. problem is i use octane to render and cant use nvidea cards in the mac. thinking of going pc. what would be a strong and fast pc configuration off shelf or to build. what the reasoning at apple for their configuring the new mac that way has shut me and many other people out of the market. i know otoy might make octane to use the amd's but when. thanx any suggestions appreciated

I ordered my machine from Xi Computer, and I'm very happy with the build. I do gpu rendering on a daily basis as a Lighting TD, and would flat out tell you to only get NVIDIA graphics cards at this point (and stick to Windows). I had a mac AMD based system for years, and nothing ever happened with OpenCL. Who knows when Otoy will release an OpenCL based Octane? The good thing about NVIDIA cards is they support both CUDA and OpenCL, so you're covered either way. 

• Contributor

Nvidia GeForce (GTX) cards are good for fast GPU-based rendering. They will be good to use with Octane.

Nvidia Quadro cards are good for faster viewport navigation (for navigating high poly scenes), and also provide faster animation playback, but they are also very expensive.

Depending on your needs and budget, you might want to choose a Quadro instead of a GeForce.

Also, be sure to get SSD hard drives for your new computer. The SSD drives are much faster than the older spinning disc type drives.

• Advanced Member

PC is the best way to go. Really dont know why people keep buying Macs this day and age...I can understand at one point it made a lot of sense since apple had a good lead with their laptops and windows had a crappy version after every other release...Thats a thing of the past now.  Windows 10 with DirectX12 and a current gen PC will be damn good.

I'd recommend going Intel though... AMD has yet to prove they are good for CGI and their next line of CPUs are untested. Its not worth the risk. Plus, Intel is very power efficient. Also get a good Nvidia card...

• Advanced Member

PC is the best way to go. Really dont know why people keep buying Macs this day and age...I can understand at one point it made a lot of sense since apple had a good lead with their laptops and windows had a crappy version after every other release...Thats a thing of the past now.  Windows 10 with DirectX12 and a current gen PC will be damn good.

I'd recommend going Intel though... AMD has yet to prove they are good for CGI and their next line of CPUs are untested. Its not worth the risk. Plus, Intel is very power efficient. Also get a good Nvidia card...

I think the new AMD Fiji cards will be superior to the NVidia  Titans..

• Advanced Member

yeah, but amd cards dont work with octane or thea, the 2 leading gpu render providers...

so until that changes not much point in going amd..

yeah, but amd cards dont work with octane or thea, the 2 leading gpu render providers...

Yeah, not trying to start flame wars of Nvidia vs AMD, but its about complete practicality. No render engine out there supports OpenCL at this moment (maybe besides Cycles?), so it doesn't make sense to get AMD cards if you're into heavy gpu rendering. 

• Advanced Member

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-features-full-directx-12-support-arrives-geforce-lineup-competitive-649-pricing-titanx-performance/

12gb ddr5 RAM $999

FlPKKYM.jpg