3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

Thanks for LiveClay Farsthary!

I just did some work with liveclay before the client pulled the plug on the project..

Anyhow, the link below shows results I was getting using the Liveclay brush and the liveclay crease brush. This took a lot longer than I thought it would but I was learning.. I can see how I could have done this much quicker by being a little more aggressive with the tools..

Good work Sir! Nice clay simulator..

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8701

Thanks,

IC

Thanks! and also thanks to you, very nice artwork!

and thanks to everyone too, I'm working very hard to improve it and bring new possibilities to 3DC

• Reputable Contributor

All suggestions of course are only for the future after Raul get LC stable and current tools working without bugs.

I must say I am very excited about LiveClay after using it on a simple candle stand.

InflateClay-- great tool for adding local detail. I used it as a partial stamping tool. It handles pen alpha's well. I see lot of use now for creating some

obj models that can be uses a decorating objects etc...

Suggestion 1. Add a Stamp type tool for LC.

Suggestion 2. Has been mention before, add the inverse of the reduce tool. I use the inflate tool set a "0" depth to add local subdivison without changing the mesh right now. When subdividing, like in sculptris start at a lower subdiv resolution then increase it. You will get a bumpy looking surface otherwise.

Some tools like tube and liveclay handle greater differences between resolutions without creating the bumps.

The creation of a bumpy surface when using some LC tools like the crease tool is a slight problem at the current development level. A possible reason for this is the transforming from marching voxels to the LC type of tessellation when creasing. The picture shows the small bumpy nature after using the crease tool and the default resolution setting. The TSmooth tool does not smooth them out

My suggestions do not exclude other tools like move etc....

I tested LC on my old single core windows machine. It was still running very fast at about 2.5 million polycount. Waiting for the 64 bit linux version to test speed there.

I still have the runtime error on Win 32bit non cuda 3.5.25B when changing from using a LC brush to a regular surface brush.

TubeClay works much better in the current version 3.5.25B

That's it for now,Got to run, leaving town for the hundred time this summer... :(

post-518-0-83551900-1317401216_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Suggestion on the stamp type of tool mention in the above post.

1.Have the ability to set height of course.

2.Have a purely stamp mode, where you can drag the pen alpha over the surface without changing the surface and then stamping the pen alpha into the surface at a set height.

You can do it with the inflateclay tool now but it is not really a stamp tool because the tool continues to build without stopping at a set height. The inflateclay brush works by building up the pen alpha and not stamping.

3. Also have the ability to turn on a continuous stroke with a set height. Great for adding skin or other repeating patterns.

Mask work great too now with the inflateClay brush but you cannot set a limit on the height. The brush continues to build.

• Advanced Member

Wow farsthary this is great. :)

The new move tool looks so useful that you could probably sculpt some forms just with that tool alone. :)

I am still not fully sure what TSmooth is doing but it seems to be relaxing the mesh without loosing the important details and much faster than the standard smooth so that will be useful also.

A very important bug was hunted, responsible for holes in LC ;)

and also I have created a twitter account for those who want to follow me ;)

https://twitter.com/Farsthary

TSmooth allows more control degree over smoothing, you can adjust the smooth strength using the curve envelope of the tool (unlike normal smoothing), with zero pressure then it just perform a tangential smooth, geometry flows over the shape, get relaxed maintaining the visual apparence as much as possible and of course there's also the advantage of speed in subvoxel environments, Normal smooth is still very useful in cases where TSmooth fails, that is, pinned like vertex, with high subdivision surrounding that make it very slow to perform TSmooth.

• Advanced Member

Hey Farsthary, can you make TSmooth "smart" as in, make it so it can detect a situation where it is failiing, determine where the area is, and then apply the normal smooth brush to that area, then retest for whether or not TSmooth is failing, until TSmooth works appropriately?

One issue with 3dCoat write now is how technical and opaque its operations and workflow can be especially to newbies. I know that if I hadn't read your posts I would be pretty confused about TSmooth and Smooth.

• Advanced Member

Interesting idea kay_Eva, maybe the 2 smooth tools could be combined in a dialog with a droplist to select the mode and it could additionally have a "merged" mode which can detect and switch them. I think the idea of combining similar tools with droplist modes would both help make it simple to know when tools are similar (modes/variations) but also help make the GUI more optimized.

I am not sure if other people will like this suggestion but i think when multiple tools basically have the same task but work a slightly differently it can be useful to group them together as it makes them easy to find. With a single dialog like that for "Smooth Tools" etc rather than having multiple menu items it would also be much easier to add additional smooth tools at any time and the menu space would not be a problem. :)

Also i had noticed that bug quite a few times already so it's great to know that the bug is fixed at last. :D

It seems to me that there's a sense of confusion, concerning the Smooth/TSmooth toolset. Fashtray, don't you think that, as a rule of thumb, it is better to have a 'smart' tool, that 'just works' from the begining, but then allows 'advanced' options for those who actually care for the difference? That's coming from somebody being a tool-maker for artists himself. And, frankly speaking, it is a much better experience to enjoy 3D Coat for just "sculpting stuff", without getting into technicalities of smoothing algorithms, unless for a real necessity :)

Otherwise - can't wait for OSX build to try the goodness out!

Good work!

• Advanced Member

I know exactly what you mean but at the same time i think it's good to have all the advanced things. The problem i find with 3DC is the preset system is not so good at the moment. So you can't really save and re-use presets easily for each tool which is what this program really needs so instead you currently have to adjust values etc which becomes a problem when you have to keep doing it.

If however at some point we have a decent preset and resource system with a system so the community can share presets then the advanced options become a big benefit to the program.

Interesting idea kay_Eva, maybe the 2 smooth tools could be combined in a dialog with a droplist to select the mode and it could additionally have a "merged" mode which can detect and switch them. I think the idea of combining similar tools with droplist modes would both help make it simple to know when tools are similar (modes/variations) but also help make the GUI more optimized.

I am not sure if other people will like this suggestion but i think when multiple tools basically have the same task but work a slightly differently it can be useful to group them together as it makes them easy to find. With a single dialog like that for "Smooth Tools" etc rather than having multiple menu items it would also be much easier to add additional smooth tools at any time and the menu space would not be a problem.

The idea of combining tools has been brought up before, I believe it was Farsthary who said it was part of the plan but it was more important to get everything made and working well first, then work on the UI.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
Good, I love it because I like to import models

Oh yeah, +1

BTW, what has mostly impressed me is the way how new ZB dynamesh can do this. Not to close holes only, but to not care much about wrong normals and some non manifolds as well. A dual contouring method if I'm not terribly wrong. Nicholasbishop (blender) abandoned it for some reason not too clear to me.

To import models, there're great libraries around, imagine to be able to merge anything you like and start sculpting on it. Some great creative fun ;)

• Advanced Member

To import models, constructed from multiple photos automatically ( by autodesk ) to an accurate model. It is pure sculptors heaven and a leap into the next level of realism + artistic freedom (from preconceived workflows).. Hopefully sculpting and painting will be reconnected sometime. Because sculpting on a photographcally realistic textured model is even more fun.

• Advanced Member
Because sculpting on a photographcally realistic textured model is even more fun.

@spacepainter

Is this freedom?

Very interesting but freedom, well...

Install sketchup free, add the free ruby obj exporter, download whatever you like from google 3dwarehouse, old cars, buildings, machines etc, melt them all under dynamesh and sculpt on this.

Something that is difficult for voxels, sometimes even impossible. ;)

• Advanced Member

Merged meshes should be waterproof of course, zb dynamesh or 3dc voxels have a reasonable problem here. Easy to fix this before exporting.

Inner geometry, non manifolds, inverted normals shouldn't be a problem for a remesher though. Dynamesh is a forgiving one. 3dc parser isn't so.

Radial Symmetry

Phil, not sure what you got going but I just posted a video in the tutorial section that may help you.You may already know this.... but that's all I got. :)

Thanks, I was referring to the real time radial symmetry shown earlier in this thread.