3DCoat Forums

Farsthary update channel

Hopefully this beta will be released soon, Andrew is interested as-well to release it. Currently I have several known memory  undo bugs, so if can't solve them before beta release, use it with caution and saving the model often.

• Contributor

Great work so far , please do keep it up.

Tested in .38 and .39.

Very very  smart of you when brush is getting bigger to produce less polygons and when brush is small in size to produce more.

HATS OFF 

• Contributor

I played a bit with QuadPaint tool and would like to ask a question. How can we adjust the number of spans for curves that already exists? For example, I'd like to change the number of edges on curves running down the neck to 12, and then for each curve that runs around it - to 6. Like on the picture. Is it possible?

post-12523-0-41652400-1463499813_thumb.j

Second question - is it possible to explicitly set the number of spans (segments) for curves that are about to be drawn? I know that brush radius has influence on that, but number of segments doesn't seem to relate to a numerical radius value in any way.

Third question - what do the numbers over some of QuatPaint vertices mean?

• Like 1

• Contributor

If i remember correctly at some point he mentioned that a numeric value will be added or something.

Really really powerfull tool if this is added (numeric value for spans)

Hi

Ops, forgot to update the hints:

0-Right click a vertex allows to smooth and move the stroke.

1-Hovering a vertex and DEL , remove the vertices

2-DBL+ Click a vertex, will pin it so you basically created a new edge freely to move.

3-DBL+ Click a segment, between 2 vertices will insert a new point, provided that the radius is smaller than the segment, otherwise will capture the closest vertex an pin it

4-Ctrl + Click a vertex will split the stroke into 2 strokes.

5- Pressing + over a stroke will increase vertices count by 2

6-Pressing - will decrease by 2

7-Overlapping 2 vertices will merge them

8-Overlapping a segment will intersect them.

9-The numerical hint tells the number of vertices between 2 pinned points (inclusive)

10-Moving a vertices very far, after release will insert new divisions, moving them too close will merge them to maintain an average distance.

Sometimes the preview snap to surface incorrectly, but the final result will be much better because more smoothing and post process is used at execution time.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Hi

Ops, forgot to update the hints:

0-Right click a vertex allows to smooth and move the stroke.

1-Hovering a vertex and DEL , remove the vertices

2-DBL+ Click a vertex, will pin it so you basically created a new edge freely to move.

3-DBL+ Click a segment, between 2 vertices will insert a new point, provided that the radius is smaller than the segment, otherwise will capture the closest vertex an pin it

4-Ctrl + Click a vertex will split the stroke into 2 strokes.

5- Pressing + over a stroke will increase vertices count by 2

6-Pressing - will decrease by 2

7-Overlapping 2 vertices will merge them

8-Overlapping a segment will intersect them.

9-The numerical hint tells the number of vertices between 2 pinned points (inclusive)

10-Moving a vertices very far, after release will insert new divisions, moving them too close will merge them to maintain an average distance.

Sometimes the preview snap to surface incorrectly, but the final result will be much better because more smoothing and post process is used at execution time.

Thanks Raul. Any chance to have a thumbnail for it, with a good tooltip? That way, if I can make some sense of it, I will try to do a brief demonstration video. Was tinkering around with it yesterday and while it has a lot of promise, it seemed a bit unruly. On a heavier model, it made so many control points it hung for several minutes and on 4-5 occasions, I had to nix the application in Windows Task Manager and restart. It only seemed to work on very low resolution models.

Secondly, when it wouldn't respond the way I was hoping, I'd hit CTRL + Z (UNDO) and it would leave a patch of highlighted faces, that you couldn't get rid of...except to create a new line....with those faces in the way. The DIRECT method seems like it should be the default method, because it generates clean topology, when you can get the tool to fully cooperate, the way a user would expect. It looks like it's going be an awesome addition, but just needs to be a bit more stable and user friendly.

• Like 1

hi. will make tonight a tutorial post.

yes for heavy models use larger spacing, less control points. Or change preview mode for performance or dissable it because there's a limit on realtime responsiveness. Is a very complex algorithm under the hood. the fact of making it realtime for most cases is an achievent on its own :P