3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat for OSX 64-bit [beta testing]

• Advanced Member

its starting to seem that this 64bit build doesn't include some of the recent OSX fixes performed in the last few builds, I cant repeat the issues often enough, but If can later, I'll report them. I'm still constantly impressed with the speed gain

ATI RADEON 5770, 16+gigs RAM, 8-core 2.8xeon

now if only STRONG consideration would be given to OpenCL support, then I might not have to buy Mari (immediately ;-)) when the OSX version(of Mari) is released ;-)

• Advanced Member

hi Sergyi

now i have a 3D-Coat-V3 folder(the 32b)and a 3D-Coat-V3-5 folder (the 64b)in Applications.

i was thinking about uninstaling and instal again 3DCoat,well may be both versions

is it just drag the aplication folder on trash?

and moving user data before that

but what about the 3DCoat folder in the User?

and other things and places like libraries prefs .xml?

because i would like to use next 64b beta (with cmd/ctrl fixed)

and as i told this beta is not opening most of the time,and i wonder why?

may be is the beta itself but others use it

or its my system or instalation somehow corrupted?

thanks for your help and advise

• Advanced Member

@moska

I noticed that both apps are sharing the user's data 3dcfolder, but as I had some shaders in 3dc 32 bit (applications) from the past, I can't access them running 64 bit 3dc.

Meaning that the 32 bit and 64 bit apps don't conflict. I think so...

• Contributor

its starting to seem that this 64bit build doesn't include some of the recent OSX fixes performed in the last few builds, I cant repeat the issues often enough, but If can later, I'll report them. I'm still constantly impressed with the speed gain

now if only STRONG consideration would be given to OpenCL support, then I might not have to buy Mari (immediately ;-)) when the OSX version(of Mari) is released ;-)

You should have gone the green path, opencl on ati is a joke... You can buy mari if you want, it's useless without a pro card anyway...

• Reputable Contributor

OpenCL support does not mean your ATI card will work with it. NVidia right now is the only card supporting both CUDA and OpenCL. ATI still hasn't gotten their act together in that regard. They are too busy selling gaming cards to...gamers. They could care less about CG content creation. That's just the reality of it. VRay 2 for 3ds Max utilizes OpenCL for it's RT (IPR) renderer, and there is still no ATI support. Works great on NVidia cards.

• Advanced Member

Is the plan to discontinue the 32-bit beta builds of 3DC for OSX? After using the 64bit version now for a while, I'd prefer not to use the 32bit build any longer(except for occasions that cause major crashes in the 64bit build, till they're fixed).

As an aside, the ATI SDK for OpenCL came out some time ago. I personally prefer NVidia cards, I just happen to have an ATi card in the Mac that I do my 3DC work on. There are a number of external render engines & high-end compositing apps that support ATI cards for OpenCL acceleration, Eyeon Fusion, Octane Render, Luxrender, Indigo Render, and the list goes on. CUDA is great, just VERY proprietary IMO.

has anyone in this thread seen/tested an Ati FirePro V8800, pretty darn decent competition with even a NVidia Qudro FX in SOME cases(if not many ;-).

• Advanced Member

Hello Mac users!

1. Regarding CTRL/CMD key. CTRL key will be enabled in the next build, but please specify, which button should CMD key duplicate – ALT or CTRL?

Cntrl should stay as is

Cmd - should invoke right click but if it has to duplicate then it should stay the same i.e duplicate cntrl

• Advanced Member

Right click using one button apple mouses is ctrl. Never cmd.

Now let's forget this. Please! Old mac users, buy a decent logitech mouse (g5 is always the best) and lets work. From a mac only user.

• Advanced Member

from a professional app perspective, I'd suggest forgetting about DESKTOP users that are using single button mice, on any platform. Older mac laptops are a bit trapped in this perspective(due to the reliance on control to trigger a right click on VERY old macbooks/macbookpro's), so I see the need for possibly supporting them, for at least a bit longer. Aside from that though, if you're on a desktop, and you use a single button mouse(not even an apple mightymouse), I'd suggest you strongly consider an investment in a new mouse(even a 5$ 2 button USB mouse) before buying a pro app like 3DCoat ;-)

P.S. any word on the release of the next build? I know Andrew's on vacation, just very eager to see more development on the 64bit branch, and test out some liveclay!

in the meantime, its sculptris & meshmixer time ;-)

• Advanced Member

New beta will come together with 3.5.21.

I plan to release 3.5.21 in the first half of next week.

Did this occur? I can't find where to download it, if so. The Mac link in the normal update thread still points to 19A as far as I can see.

Today I sent 3.5.21 to programmer, he will do build soo, I hope today or tomorrow if nothing too strange will happen.

Last week update was failed because I had hope to include updated LC there, but it is essentially not ready.

3.5.21 will include only a bit updated LC, very last changes are to raw to be included in 3.5.21.

• Advanced Member

Thank you!

A small confusion though. Is this beta installer the same with the other on betas thread? Are both 64 bit?

Crashing!

Use voxels sculpting / jump to surf-mode-liveclay / pick another surf-tool. Now liveclay again (you can't access lc parameters anymore). Nevermind, back to voxels mode. Press LC tool, parameters visible again, back to surfmode, crashing.

Update:

ctrl use is back, great. Voxel mode is great in 64bit build. All I need for the moment and back again in 3dc sculpting LOL

I missed something,

1 why the need of LC? I still don't get it.

2 smooth tool is so weak...

3 pinch tool... OK, I'll ask again for something similar to zb or better, sculptris behavior of tools.

4 Dynamic tessellation in sculptris is so superior. It's a whole different world. It's faster and precise. Even faster after some edits in Sc config.txt. Up to 2 M, too much for dynamic tessellation. Close DT then and work as fast as zb is. (answering a statement that SC is slow or something)

I understand that LC is in alpha stage but I still don't get it. It's the tools behavior that matters more than anything else. It's a sculpting room, you see.