3DCoat Forums

Retopo and Symmetry

Malo

• Contributor

Hi

I have a little question about the symmetry in the Retopo Room.

I always work on the "wrong" side. Not sure why, maybe it is from the work in other apps.

But is there a way to make the "wrong" side of the symmetry in X, to the correct side?

I know i could use the flip option on the symmetry, so that the wrong side is the correct side, but i have always to flip it on every startup of 3d coat.

Any help or idea would be nice.

Regards Malo

Edited by Malo

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks, but this is what i mean with "i could use the flip option on the symmetry"

But is it possible to set this option on every startup automaticly?

Just try and make sure you build on the positive side of the axis, when you work. It will typically be to your right side of the mesh, but there is an axis handle toggle in the navigation bar (upper right hand portion of the UI), so you can see which end is the positive side of the axis.

• Contributor

@Tony

But that wont works. On my actuall project, i always set this option, but after every startup i have to set it new.

@Abn

I was hoping, i dont have to change my workflow.

But as long as there is no way to work always on the negative side, i have to life with it.

Is there a way to mirror the symmetry, without apply the symmetry?

• Reputable Contributor

You can invert the mirror at any point, and since it's just a single click, it shouldn't break your workflow to have to check that option. Maybe this video can help explain things a bit better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5h8T0c7BU&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=16

• Contributor

Ok, let me explain it a little bit more detailed.

Like in the Video, your retopo is in the right side.

I have started on the left side.

Now i want to continue my work on the right side, to be on the "correct" side.

If i unckeck the inverted mirror option, i have no retopo, it is "gone".

If i apply the mirror with the button in the space menu or in the upper panel, i have a complede model right and left side.

If i use mirror again, i get some problems because the left side and the right side gets mirrored. I know that from further work.

Most problems are in the middle of the symmetry plane.

What i know is, i could apply the mirror and delete the left side manuall.

But is there a way to do this automaticly or easier?

What i want is very easy, i have started on the wrong side and now i want to copy my created stuff to the correct side to work like you in your video.

If there is no way, i continue my work in the wrong side.

• Reputable Contributor

The INVERT MIRROR option is there to let you work on either side you want. However, I was just saying that it's a good practice, for future purposes, to always start on the right side, so there is no confusion or need to check INVERT MIRROR.