3DCoat Forums

Metha`s Workshop

Methelina

• Advanced Member

Uhuh! this is not end! :) As i try to make all props from the District 9, the time is come for the Exosuit :) 
T1SwYsss.jpg

I did a call ;)
And my friend sent me a Weta's movie model of the exosuit... God, it's pretty hi-polly too hi-poly for the game, so i need to remesh, simplificate, retopo and so on :)
Qgd1YOVs.png

I look on it and have fear in my heart, LOL! HOW can it be simplified!
Ok, tears away, lets begin...

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Strict color map, not realy.

I could use any color for any material. But the color should be as clean as possible.

If i use the fill tool in 3dc, i have no problems, only when i try to paint it with the hard pencil, like you in the video, i get those little missmatches on the color.

And mostly the missmatch is to big, that if i try to adjust the color automaticly, it affectet other colors too.

Hmmm strange, mb opacity is not 200%? 

• Contributor
YW, Malo ;)

Mmm, may be, i use random contrast colors and than reassign it in dDO as the materials, i don't use the dDO palette. Looks like SD need the strict color map without any chance to bind any color to any material?

Why don't you guys just make shaders in the voxel room that have the same colors as the Ddo palette? Retopo the model, make UVs, and after that in the voxel room you can assign the colored shaders to each part of the model, and then finally bake for per pixel painting (only diffuse color).

That way you will get the necessary color map for assigning materials in Ddo (also known as "splat map" or "object id map" or "material id map" etc.)

I think Artman suggested this method in the thread about Ddo elsewhere on this forum.

Take note that it is important to select the right kind of shader for baking. I think Artman suggested the orange car paint shader since it will accurately bake the diffuse color. But maybe one of the others will be even better?

Maybe one of us could just make all of the shaders and then share the entire bunch with the rest of us? It will take some time since the Ddo palette has many colors in it. I don't have time to do this myself, but maybe someone here on the forums will be kind enough to do it?

In the future hopefully somebody can write a script (someone who knows Angelscript) which will automatically assign random shaders from the Ddo shader group to disconnected pieces of the model. That way the process would be automated somewhat. Of course it would be best if Andrew just coded this into 3D-Coat for us...

Just some thoughts...

In any case your models are looking great Methelina! Thank you for sharing your workflow!

• Contributor

Ha ha! Looks like Ajz3d was thinking about the same thing in the Ddo thread, but he describes an interesting problem:

"The problem is that baked colour texture is always 1-2% different in saturation and/or brightness (HSB) than the linear colour map used with the car shader, or the exact input colour value of the Default shader.

So, for example, instead of 0%, 50%, 50% (HSB) used as input colour, you get a 0% 50% 49%. And that's a completely different colour which might not exist on ddo's palette.

Have you found a workaround to this?

Anyway, automatic assignment of appropriate shaders (using colours from ddo's palette) to VoxTree layers representing certain materials can be scripted in, provided some kind of layer naming convention is used.

Access to UV islands is not possible with scripting engine."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Thx Friends!  :rofl:

Update of the hooked devil

Imagecorn detected as Malware site by Google Safebrowsing! (webmaster)
imagecorn . com/upload/big/2014/07/30/53d8f911bad01.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I know it's not on, but he would be a perfect "Carrot King" especially if there were arabesques above hit head/shoulders.

Bwahaha, yeah )

I dig the concept art made by Jane, you and those in the studio are very talented!

Thx a lot ) i will say her)

• Advanced Member

Hooked devil model for game Kenshi is done )

Here is sketchfab turnable

640.jpeg

Now i workin of the different model for another game... and met the problem to bake a Material-Id map... The model is too complex to handpain the maps.... so im stunned a little

post-1412-0-53221500-1419856934_thumb.pn

• Like 2