3DCoat Forums

3D world magazine

• Advanced Member

Do many/ any of you subscribe to this publication? Looks like they run some pretty decent tutorials and topics in issues, plus would no doubt be a great jolt of inspiration on a regular basis

They recently had a sale that had me itching to subscribe, but the price, IMHO, is a little steep. I do think it would be an excellent resource for inspiration though, regardless of the price. That said, the web is pretty deep with inspiration. :)

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

They recently had a sale that had me itching to subscribe, but the price, IMHO, is a little steep. I do think it would be an excellent resource for inspiration though, regardless of the price. That said, the web is pretty deep with inspiration. :)

You're just paying for a flyer full of glossy ads and a few very superficial tutorials. If you know where to go the internet is overflowing with all that info and then some for free. Glossy magazines like that are a wasteful and antiquated business model.

CMIVFX, that's the real deal. Save your money for that.

And CGCircuit is offering some really awesome tutorials for dirt cheap. Same with Gumroad too. Dirt dirt cheap prices for excellent tutorials.

Gnomon and even FXPHD are way overpriced and a lot of their titles are duds  though some are good. 

CGSociety tutorials are expensive but OMG are they ever good. Some of the best I've ever seen.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime
  • Like 3

Arumiat, what tuto type are you looking for ?

my suggestion is to begin searching youtube or vimeo first, and only spend money on advanced tutos about very specific topics.

• Advanced Member

I was just wondering whether it was a publication that 'everyone' involved in CG generally reads and if I want to be involved in the industry I 'ought' to be subscribing to.. I also noticed sometimes tutorials I have watched online have been featured in there so it sparked my interest.

Thanks for the feedback all, I will hold fire for now 

• Advanced Member

Thinking about it, one area I would really like to get better at is understanding and painting with color. Currently I feel like my painting efforts are horrifically blocky. It would be great to learn some techniques & theory as to how to work with color, especially combining them, a bit like I was asking in this thread http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17605

Ie the sort of brushes you use, how layers can help 

I'd be interested to hear if there are any 'authorities' or go-to references on this topic anyone would recommend? Interested in 2D painting techniques as well

EDIT: a nice eg of smoothly blended color for instance

post-38412-0-02179400-1428580415_thumb.p

Edited by arumiat

• Advanced Member

Thinking about it, one area I would really like to get better at is understanding and painting with color. Currently I feel like my painting efforts are horrifically blocky. It would be great to learn some techniques & theory as to how to work with color, especially combining them, a bit like I was asking in this thread http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17605

Ie the sort of brushes you use, how layers can help 

I'd be interested to hear if there are any 'authorities' or go-to references on this topic anyone would recommend? Interested in 2D painting techniques as well

EDIT: a nice eg of smoothly blended color for instance

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

https://www.facebook.com/gumroadart

Gumroad has digital and oil painting tutorials for as low as $5 and they're excellent

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137585

And this guy at CTRL+Paint tutorials offers a very well thought out approach to digital painting, Some of it is free and some of it is very affordable. 

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Knew you'd have some great resources thanks Francis ;) Just finished the Ctrl+Paint intro tutorial series and already learnt a lot. I sold my small Wacom a while back as it was just too small to use effectively I found, and after watching decided to go ahead and purchase this Huion medium tablet, seems like a great offering for the price as it looks like touch sensitivity is really a necessity if you plan to do any serious amount of painting. And to imagine back in the day you had to premix all your paints, and use them before they all dried up!

I've also bookmarked a few concept artists on gumroad who offer some interesting tutorials.

Thanks again

You're just paying for a flyer full of glossy ads and a few very superficial tutorials. If you know where to go the internet is overflowing with all that info and then some for free. Glossy magazines like that are a wasteful and antiquated business model.

CMIVFX, that's the real deal. Save your money for that.

And CGCircuit is offering some really awesome tutorials for dirt cheap. Same with Gumroad too. Dirt dirt cheap prices for excellent tutorials.

Gnomon and even FXPHD are way overpriced and a lot of their titles are duds  though some are good. 

CGSociety tutorials are expensive but OMG are they ever good. Some of the best I've ever seen.

I agree on all counts. :)

Gumroad is pretty good. Also thanks on ctrlpaint.com. I had never heard about it before. I'll be watching those! Thanks. :)

• Advanced Member

Yeah i used to read 3d world pretty regularily before i had broadband... it seems kinda redundant now, especially that you can take your tablet into the toilet...