3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.2 updates thread.

• Reputable Contributor

Is anyone experiencing very slow performance in the Retopo Room, using the "points & faces", Quads, Delete edges, etc?

I have a fairly fast system (quadcore w/ 8GB RAM and gtx 275...on Win 7x64 w/ CUDA) and even degraded a copy of my sculpted model down to 2x (approx 600k polys)...I tried it on a logo I was working on, and that seemed much faster, but for some reason, I just can't get any work done at this pace with this model. It takes several seconds for every poly you lay down or deleted edge/faces, etc.

In Leigh Bamforth's Advanced Retopology DVD....he's going through those tools very quickly...and that was on build 3.1.12 I believe.

• Advanced Member

Is anyone experiencing very slow performance in the Retopo Room, using the "points & faces", Quads, Delete edges, etc?

I have a fairly fast system (quadcore w/ 8GB RAM and gtx 275...on Win 7x64 w/ CUDA) and even degraded a copy of my sculpted model down to 2x (approx 600k polys)...I tried it on a logo I was working on, and that seemed much faster, but for some reason, I just can't get any work done at this pace with this model. It takes several seconds for every poly you lay down or deleted edge/faces, etc.

In Leigh Bamforth's Advanced Retopology DVD....he's going through those tools very quickly...and that was on build 3.1.12 I believe.

No issue with my system at all.

vista64 qc6600 8800gts 6gig ram

maybe send the model to andrew.

• Reputable Contributor

No issue with my system at all.

vista64 qc6600 8800gts 6gig ram

maybe send the model to andrew.

Have you used it on anything with detail? I've wasted, again, the better part of the day wrestling with yet another problem with 3DC. Even when I reduced the model down to the point that it lost most of it's detail, it didn't change a thing. I removed all but the character's head, to keep the load on the system down as much as possible. I really am at wit's end. I don't know if this classifies as a bug or just another performance bottleneck.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUfDbOJqRQ

• Reputable Contributor

Ahhh. I finally found the culprit...There were two points hanging off to the side, in limbo. I don't know how in the world they got there, and I tried like the dickens to delete them earlier. I exported the work I had as an obj, then hit CLEAR to wipe everything out in the Retopo room. Imported the WIP mesh back in and the problem is solved. Can't understand how in the world that would happen, but I'm just glad to get it straight...

I attempted to try it, fresh, on a simple FFD cube, and 3DC choked for over 30 min before I killed the whole program. All I did was hit increase (resolution) twice....didn't know that would bring 3DC to it's knees.

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/screen/127304362455.jpg

• Advanced Member

That is totally wierd. How did those points get there? I think a feature request is in order. A statistics panel for selection similar to lightwave for points, poly, ngons, etc in retopo room. Or does it exist and I'm not aware of it :)

Also if you're having some difficulty or something is acting wierd, try it on a fresh model or do what you did and clear out the scene. Probably there's omething with the file you are working with that's causing it to bug out. This happens in any software anyway,(lw,3dmax,etc) so either merge to a new scene, xref, import, etc.

• Contributor

Ahhh. I finally found the culprit...There were two points hanging off to the side, in limbo. I don't know how in the world they got there, and I tried like the dickens to delete them earlier. I exported the work I had as an obj, then hit CLEAR to wipe everything out in the Retopo room. Imported the WIP mesh back in and the problem is solved. Can't understand how in the world that would happen, but I'm just glad to get it straight...

I attempted to try it, fresh, on a simple FFD cube, and 3DC choked for over 30 min before I killed the whole program. All I did was hit increase (resolution) twice....didn't know that would bring 3DC to it's knees.

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/screen/127304362455.jpg

I tried the same thing and could not slow down performance. I transferred to Retopo and, again, all worked as normal. It must be maddening for a programmer, given the variety of platforms and video cards. :search:

• Advanced Member

"A statistics panel for selection similar to lightwave for points, poly, ngons, etc in retopo room"

yes, that would be great :drinks:

Talking about performance, I can't say much working on a 2 xeon 16 threads mac. This is the worst performance I ever seen from an app! I'm wondering why a 1 sec job for a python blender plug-in takes minutes in 3dc or crashes (subdividing quad cage). I can't move a 3k faces island in UV map, tooo heavy ??. Python is not C you know. You have to see how 64bit blender build performs on this same machine. A terrible performance in topology room (1-4 fps), the same time, a fine performance in a 5M voxel room (single layer ~50 fps). ??

• Reputable Contributor

I have not experienced any slow down in the retopo room either in Windows 32bit Non-Cuda with a single core or Linux 64bit with an older dual-core.

The single core has an old 6800 Nivida on it and the dual-core has a 8600gts. 3D applications seem like games, in that it will run great on one machine and be a pooper in some area on another. Hopefully soon Andrew will find the solution for you guys. I had several bugs in the past that were madding but Andrew fixed them all. Maybe Andrew can hire another extra programmer one day and one of his priority jobs is squashing bugs while Andrew works on development which he is very good at.

I have experienced some of the problems that Michalis has found in the normal maps or displacement maps being screwed up with auto-quadraqulation in the paint room. Also the displacement maps,normal maps could sharper and catch more detail in the 2048/4096 maps.

Gosh, been so busy but I really need to get Andrew a detailed report soon...

• Reputable Contributor

I have not experienced any slow down in the retopo room either in Windows 32bit Non-Cuda with a single core or Linux 64bit with an older dual-core.

The single core has an old 6800 Nivida on it and the dual-core has a 8600gts. 3D applications seem like games, in that it will run great on one machine and be a pooper in some area on another. Hopefully soon Andrew will find the solution for you guys. I had several bugs in the past that were madding but Andrew fixed them all. Maybe Andrew can hire another extra programmer one day and one of his priority jobs is squashing bugs while Andrew works on development which he is very good at.

I have experienced some of the problems that Michalis has found in the normal maps or displacement maps being screwed up with auto-quadraqulation in the paint room. Also the displacement maps,normal maps could sharper and catch more detail in the 2048/4096 maps.

Gosh, been so busy but I really need to get Andrew a detailed report soon...

And this is the very reason I catch flak for asking (other 3DC members here) for a moratorium on feature requests for a while, so Andrew can focus on the core of the program and get performance where it needs to be, across the application...attacking all the bottlenecks, and squashing bugs before even considering yet another low-priority feature. These problems are the very things that had me trying to sell my seat a few weeks ago, and why a number of seasoned ZBrush and Mudbox users pop in here on these forums, while trying it...and are never heard from again.

The frustration level is fairly high (for me and a few others here, anyway), and these bottlenecks really have to be addressed before 3DC can move forward (within the market) in any significant way...in my opinion. Doing so is the only thing that will both draw new customers (in high numbers) and keep current ones.

Perhaps notifying the community/userbase here that there would be no attention given to new features for the next 6-12 months, and really dig into the nuts and bolts of the program, so that everything runs faster, smoother and more stable...and that means a temporary halt to the frequent updates. The folks at Newtek used to do that with some Lightwave 9 Open Beta builds. I think calling them "Maintenance fixes/updates"...

If word got out that 3DC finally achieved performance on par with ZBrush and Mudbox, you can watch sales just explode. That is a task I'm certain Andrew is well capable of...so, please, let's hold off on the feature requests for a spell, and allow him to get there first.

• Reputable Contributor

I agree with you AbnRanger, my statement reflects that 3DCoat has different problems on different hardware configuations which all need to be address. The adding of a extra programmer is a hope only, till then I do concur that core performance and bugs need a very serious going over. They do hinder and hurt an otherwise great program.

I've been busy but hope in my own way to help by recreating a bug and then sending Andrew a detailed report...

• Contributor

You are repeating suggestions I made many months ago.

I am STILL not up to properly using 3DC yet because I am too old to put up with bugs.

It's a dissapointment as I was the 3rd person to get the original 3DP

Brian

Folks, if you have a bug, if possible please submit it with content that can help reproduce it. This will go a long way in squashing it. If you can't submit content, at least provide steps to reproduce it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When adding an object primitive, if you work with the primitive and select new, for new scene, the primitive is still there.

Windows 7 64 bit

3dcoat 3.2.11 with cuda opengl 64 bit

No it's ok I just realized it's the primitives ghost, lol.

• Advanced Member

Yup the feature set is workable at this point. There are features I'd like to see, and improvements to tools - however bugz be gone first and foremost.

Kill them all and make the software PRODUCTION PIPELINE Qaulity ROCK SOLID, and guaranteed - you'll be respected for it - SERIOUSLY!

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I just got the latest 3DCoat email about the 3.3 release. Do we 3.2 license owners have to pay for this?

Brandon

You hit the DOWNLOAD button on the page Andrew linked to. He just consolidated the location, so newcomers aren't confused with different locations for updates and upgrades.

Thanks Andrew, for fixing the Normal Map clipping issue...I really needed that. I still think the only way to fully resolve the rats nesting/snapping issues in the Retopo room is to implement some method of constraint for vertices. They need to be kept to an average distance between surround vertices. That will stop those blasted spikes once and for all, and help limit co-planar faces.