3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

A few bugs.

The top of the tool panel (where the E panel icon is) shouldn't scroll with the tools. It makes the icon inaccessible.

I'm still noticing brushes created with curves are sometimes rotated on it's side and causing a "squashed" curve on to the left side of the panel. Making the brush useless, as well as unusable.

Some brushes made with curves when used with specific tools (so far tested tube clay, snake clay), don't work at all. The brush cursor intensity is also massively distorted.

• Contributor

Per layer colors, hues, etc - Please add more functions per layer. I always change color per layer but always use fill tool which is not clean. Replace with color does not work all the time. Much easier to do photoshop way. Again if its doable now sorry if I missed it but its important for creating textures.

In Textures/Adjust menu you have all those and they work "per layer".

you can even assign hotkey to "Hue/Saturation/Lightness" if you like :)

• Contributor

Hello...

I have imported in voxel room a PLY file with vertex color... but I dont see the color ... am I missing something..?

Thanks

Which way did you choose to import?

Personnaly I either check "merge without voxelising" in Merge Tool or

I choose "import for vertex painting" in file menu.

I also use .ply with colors and it works fine on my side .

Sounds... familiar. :/

MARI has even the Photoshop---Edit---Transform---Warp function:

The mask image is stretched onto a 3x3 mesh grid, you brush-pull-warp the mesh, the image responds precisely to this deform. I also posted the idea here already. 3D-Coat could be market-leader in texturing, by combining these specific powers of Modo, MARI and Photoshop.

The Topo move brush code could be used it just needs a mask image and paint projection. :)

• Contributor

MARI has even the Photoshop---Edit---Transform---Warp function:

The mask image is stretched onto a 3x3 mesh grid, you brush-pull-warp the mesh, the image responds precisely to this deform. I also posted the idea here already. 3D-Coat could be market-leader in texturing, by combining these specific powers of Modo, MARI and Photoshop.

We already have this. :)

In mask/material window just select "distort" instead of "Paint"

You can even save/load your tweak externally.

• Advanced Member

In Textures/Adjust menu you have all those and they work "per layer".

you can even assign hotkey to "Hue/Saturation/Lightness" if you like :)

Thanks. I knew I missed something and looked at the wrong place. Ghost mode per object, material? Brush library reset without deleting xml file? :D

How's the tutorial coming along? :p

We already have this. :)

In mask/material window just select "distort" instead of "Paint"

You can even save/load your tweak externally.

The best method was screen-cast from Modo, i think. MARI or Photoshop-warp is exemplary. The model also needs to be visible while projection painting and a non-tiled smaller mask is perfect for this. The artist needs to rotate and position the model, get his bearings by also looking directly at the model (not through the transparent mask) To feel the model, to determine, where the model needs more painting. Zbrush has at least a projection brush-visibility radius, like Photoshop-CS5-Clone brush, it shows the mask to be painted only under the brush, the rest of the model is visible and the artist can determine where he wants more painting.

If a mask covers the entire model, transparency or not, the artist isn't in full control cannot see as a sculptor sees the form, and is hindered in artistic freedom by the mask, i think.

Andrew is not Superman. If he could clone himself and 12 Andrews were working parallel on 3D-Coat, new features were raining from the sky. But there are good chances his wife wouldn't like to cook for 12 men.

Andrew has done his best with 3D-Coat.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks Andrew for the linux build. I know with all the new beta features going into 3DCoat for Version 4 there will be more than the normal amount of bugs. Once all the features are added, bugs squashed and some more brush tweaking, 3DCoat Version 4 will kick the tires and light the fires... By the way the icons are looking great...

Linux 64 bit version 3.7.14B non cuda.

I got a fairly major bug in the retopo room. When moving a single vertex to snap to another vertex the vertices fail to weld. That means there is no way of connecting polygons when moving single vertices. Symmetry is not turned on. Take just two polygons and try to weld (snap) the vertices to connect them, it's a no go in the Linux version.

The bug problem related above, I found is one that does not happen all the time. I loaded a new scene, 14,000 voxel sphere, The same problem. Closed 3dCoat, reopened 3DCoat chose same sphere, it worked...

I'm also getting big pauses switching between the retopo room and the voxel room. You can see part of the retopo side bar menu under the voxel room side brush and tool bar. Then a few seconds later it disappears. I getting pauses between the other rooms as well just not as long. Same Linux version as above...

Edit: If I switch between icon views and go back to retopo room and then back to the voxel room 3DCoat crashes to the desktop sometimes as well. I'm using Linux Ubuntu 12.04...

Edit: 2

I deleted the options.xml file. Reopened 3DCoat. Started switching rooms (icon based) and after several times of switching between all the rooms "Crash to the Desktop"

Edit:3

I tested linux 64 bit 3.7.12E non cuda and NO crashing to the desktop switching between rooms and no pauses...

Is there a way to get the smoothing higher than 100% when holding shift? Often times 100% is not enough. It seemed like on older builds it could go higher with the right click and drag like all the other brushes do. Was this ability removed on the beta builds, or is there another way to do this now that I am missing?

• Reputable Contributor

Is there a way to get the smoothing higher than 100% when holding shift? Often times 100% is not enough. It seemed like on older builds it could go higher with the right click and drag like all the other brushes do. Was this ability removed on the beta builds, or is there another way to do this now that I am missing?

Not when holding SHIFT, but there are a few things you can do to give smoothing a kick in the pants. Use the solid brush (no falloff) in the E-Panel...5th brush to the right. You can switch your layer into Proxy mode (Cache to Disk), and Smoothing performance will be noticeably stronger. If you have a recent NVidia card, that is CUDA enabled and using a CUDA version of 3DC, then you can go to the Voxel Menu > CUDA Smooth boost.

Not when holding SHIFT, but there are a few things you can do to give smoothing a kick in the pants. Use the solid brush (no falloff) in the E-Panel...5th brush to the right. You can switch your layer into Proxy mode (Cache to Disk), and Smoothing performance will be noticeably stronger. If you have a recent NVidia card, that is CUDA enabled and using a CUDA version of 3DC, then you can go to the Voxel Menu > CUDA Smooth boost.

AbnRanger thanks for the tips. I have a gtx 560 so I will give the cuda smoothing boost a try. I have been using the open GL version lately though because of some of the brush issues I have seen reported recently in the cuda version. The strange thing is if I manually type in a value like around 150% smoothing it gets me where I need to be. So I cant figure out why a limiter would be set on the amount you can dial that value up with the right click and drag while holding shift? It doesnt really make sense to me.

I don't do it actually, but...

I want to thank Andrew for the new projection scaling functionality! It was an old idea of mine, that I suggested to him one or two years ago. Now it is implemented! Wonderful!

I don't know if someone of you really realised it, but now you are completely resolution free to paint projections in external editors like photoshop. The projections are lossless now, if you set the right resolution! I will explain the new function in detail on my blog soon.

Really great! I am so happy. This gives me more possibilities to paint on high res textures.

As I know, the new "projection scaling" is something uniqe in the market. Tell me, if I am wrong. I don't know all painting tools. :)

Best wishes

Chris

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

I don't do it actually, but...

I want to thank Andrew for the new projection scaling functionality! It was an old idea of mine, that I suggested to him one or two years ago. Now it is implemented! Wonderful!

I don't know if someone of you really realised it, but now you are completely resolution free to paint projections in external editors like photoshop. The projections are lossless now, if you set the right resolution! I will explain the new function in detail on my blog soon.

Really great! I am so happy. This gives me more possibilities to paint on high res textures.

As I know, the new "projection scaling" is something uniqe in the market. Tell me, if I am wrong. I don't know all painting tools. :)

Best wishes

Chris

Not unique but its definitely a very welcome addition to 3dcoat.

• Advanced Member

Is there a way to disable the scrolling inertia? It's not consistent and sometimes the palette creeps on me after I stop scrolling. (wacom and mouse)

Ok, this seems a little weird but can someone confirm that dragging a voxel layer over another layers "+" (but on the right most side of the plus button) will make the selected layer a child of it.

But if you drag a layer and drop it on the left most side of the plus button, it just creates an empty child layer. :huh:

• Contributor

Is there a way to disable the scrolling inertia? It's not consistent and sometimes the palette creeps on me after I stop scrolling. (wacom and mouse)

I Requested We will see, Its quite annoying that its inconsistent, I feel even if we do manage to tweak it to work well flick scrolling should still be a user preference like this -

post-1266-0-64320700-1342680805_thumb.pn

• Contributor

Me too. Panels keep moving when I stop scrolling I have a hard time selecting brushes.

To be honest I don't use the sidebar much right now, hitting spacebar is usually quicker for me. But when I do use the sidebar, it's a PITA to select tools when they keep moving or are jittery. Option for it would be good.

• Contributor

Just upgraded to 3.7.15(CUDA)(GL64)

Yeah I don't like the toolbar inertia yet. While inertial scrolling it should stop immediately when you tap on any tool. Then it should turn off. It should only reactivate again if you "flick" again.

I like the new icons!

Also, I don't understand the new "limitless" texture resolution feature in the paint room. Taros mentioned that he would make a tutorial...I am looking forward to it!

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, I tested the pauses and crashing to the desktop some more in Linux 64 bit non-cuda. 3.7.14B. This adds to my other post about the problems listed.

I competely removed the 3DCoat folder and the folder under Home to get a clean install.

Extracted the tar.gz folder, registered the software and then ran 3DCoat.

The first minute everything seems ok and then the pauses started when I switched between rooms. A few seconds later when switching between rooms, crash to the desktop.

So at the present Linux 3.7.12E is the last usable beta for me...

Ok, I tested the pauses and crashing to the desktop some more in Linux 64 bit non-cuda. 3.7.14B. This adds to my other post about the problems listed.

I competely removed the 3DCoat folder and the folder under Home to get a clean install.

Extracted the tar.gz folder, registered the software and then ran 3DCoat.

The first minute everything seems ok and then the pauses started when I switched between rooms. A few seconds later when switching between rooms, crash to the desktop.

So at the present Linux 3.7.12E is the last usable beta for me...

Tis is fixed, build comes soon.