3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.2 updates thread.

• Advanced Member

This looks awesome Andrew :) I love the new drag and drop features.

Personally I'd love to see some more love given to the paint room. Things like filling are very very slow. Infact I find i can sometimes paint over the mesh in less time than fills takes. also some sort of preview for cubemapping in for materials would be great.

Occlusion Calculation is also very weak. its nice for previewing the form of the model but otherwise its pretty useless. For it to be usefull it would really need to be much much faster and support control of things like max ray distance, and spread. You can use a good ambient occlusion renderer for generating cavity and dirt maps. the current method is just to banded and takes too long.

Things like pen previews often stall the program while they load for me(i use hi res pens) . This happens when i mouse over them which is pretty disruptive. Could this be sent to another thread so it doesnt stall the main program.

One thing thing also that i got used to doing in mudbox was working on multiple textures at once. I've found no way of doing this in 3d coat. The reason i ask about this is it gets around the problem of having to work on 1 very high resolution map which gets very slow to paint on. I did a Colonial Viper recently and it used 6 multilayered 2k textures for each was applied to certain areas of the model using materials. when they were all loaded it was exceptionally slow but mudbox allows you to unload materials from memory when you want to paint the model. basically you can see the whole textured model allowing you to maintain a good colour pallette while still giving you blisteringly fast painting speeds. its an excellent system. Id love to see it in 3d coat.

• Advanced Member

Andrew: The size of the texture set for the whole mesh doesn't really matter that much, i have tested with resolutions varying from 512x512 up to 4096x4096 and i get the same type of lags whichever i choose. The lag becomes severe when using any level of subdivision on a object you import, it doesn't matter if it's a high or low level of subdivision is because 3DC will be awfully sluggish and slow, and ontop of that if you use big brushes well then you can simply forget about painting anything. One more thing is when brushes regardless of their size approached the edge of a object, then painting suddenly stops and you end up with weird looking strokes, they sort of cut off as they try to paint over the meshes edge with a background behind it. It would probably be better if you they would continue to paint even when you pull your paintcursor off the model to avoid this cuttingoff phenomena.

These issues occur across the board, it doesn't matter if i try it in per pixel painting, microvertex or Ptex mode as they all behave the same.

/ Magnus

• Contributor

Andrew: The size of the texture set for the whole mesh doesn't really matter that much, i have tested with resolutions varying from 512x512 up to 4096x4096 and i get the same type of lags whichever i choose. The lag becomes severe when using any level of subdivision on a object you import, it doesn't matter if it's a high or low level of subdivision is because 3DC will be awfully sluggish and slow, and ontop of that if you use big brushes well then you can simply forget about painting anything. One more thing is when brushes regardless of their size approached the edge of a object, then painting suddenly stops and you end up with weird looking strokes, they sort of cut off as they try to paint over the meshes edge with a background behind it. It would probably be better if you they would continue to paint even when you pull your paintcursor off the model to avoid this cuttingoff phenomena.

These issues occur across the board, it doesn't matter if i try it in per pixel painting, microvertex or Ptex mode as they all behave the same.

/ Magnus

Painting is Blazing Fast here..in all modes and with various meshes.

Maybe sending Andrew one of your meshes?

It wouldnt hurt for sure.

Can someone else with 8800GTS try some painting please?

• Contributor

I have an 8800 GTS, you can see how it works for me in the YouTube video I posted above.

Its fast enough and screen capture must even be sucking some fps...

Maybe Maximus3D is stuck in the "twilight zone" or something.. :blink:

Maximus3d:Can you post one of your meshes?Its the only thing that hasnt been tested yet.

Phil could try it and see how it works using exact same build,with same graphic card and same mesh.

• Advanced Member

i guys i have some problem but in the same room ptex perpixel e microvertex, but only if the model is lowpoly..

In hig resolutions of the obj the brushwork is quick and precise.. ythe problem is with the lowpoly model!!

I have i7 with ATI 4850

• Advanced Member

OK I stand corrected: 3.2.02 on Linux 64 does not have the Ptex resolution change icon. Please see attached screengrab.

It does work on Windows.

EDIT: Actually it works fine, it is just the icon _graphic_ is missing. If you click in the space below it does bring the Res controls. So it's a minor issue if you know about it :)

Cheers,

Peter B

post-2142-12652240425226_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

This is not the same mesh as i used, this one has a slightly higher polycount than my mesh. But test with this and see how well it works, if it works at all..

Download

/ Magnus

import was fast for me and painting was also fast

i'm using Cuda 64 version not sure if that has anything to do with it

• Advanced Member

I'm sorry but what does Ptex mean? I read no uv's for painting. How is it different from Zbrush's automatic unwrap. Sorry for the noob question, just cant wrap my brain around it.

Well for me it means no UV unwrap, no seams in game engine (for 1st time!), and texture quality is better because the detail isn't distorted unlike when you usually unwrap things there is a slight distortion of detail depending on the unwrap.

you can see my forum pic thing to the left and there is big seams and stuff on it that appear inside of game engine idk why, but that doesn't happen anymore so that's just Ptex great

• Contributor

Well for me it means no UV unwrap, no seams in game engine (for 1st time!), and texture quality is better because the detail isn't distorted unlike when you usually unwrap things there is a slight distortion of detail depending on the unwrap.

you can see my forum pic thing to the left and there is big seams and stuff on it that appear inside of game engine idk why, but that doesn't happen anymore so that's just Ptex great

Another nice feature is the uniformity in size of the"ptels" over the whole model.

• Advanced Member

Hi guys my video...

in perpixelpainting with the lowpoly model my brush moves jerkily "fragments" not fluid

http://download636.mediafire.com/50hlgz0ojzmg/idl5z0wgo3y/PERPIXELPAINTING_LOWPOLY_MODEL.zipx

in ptex my brush is very fluid it's OK

http://download18.mediafire.com/mzdgiiqxj4mg/2hikhzmymqj/PTEX.zipx

• Advanced Member

Hi guys my video...

in perpixelpainting with the lowpoly model my brush moves jerkily "fragments" not fluid

http://download636.mediafire.com/50hlgz0ojzmg/idl5z0wgo3y/PERPIXELPAINTING_LOWPOLY_MODEL.zipx

in ptex my brush is very fluid it's OK

http://download18.mediafire.com/mzdgiiqxj4mg/2hikhzmymqj/PTEX.zipx

I'm pretty sure Perpixel's has always been slower with low poly. Because you have to put more texture information over a single face, but when it's high poly, you have less info to process for each polygon.

• Advanced Member

This is not the same mesh as i used, this one has a slightly higher polycount than my mesh. But test with this and see how well it works, if it works at all..

Download

/ Magnus

It was totally fine with a 1024 texture size. But then when I tried it with a 4096x4096 texture then I noticed my brush strokes had become considerably slower. It was still usable though.

I'm sorry but what does Ptex mean? I read no uv's for painting. How is it different from Zbrush's automatic unwrap. Sorry for the noob question, just cant wrap my brain around it.

I don't know if zbrush has this or not but it's also nice that yo can increase/decrease just the texture resolution in specific areas.

• Advanced Member

That is, when game engines support it. Great idea in general, only each ptex texture can only work specific to one model.

I'm also not sure how it works with triangles.

• Advanced Member

That is, when game engines support it. Great idea in general, only each ptex texture can only work specific to one model.

I'm also not sure how it works with triangles.

export to game engine works fine I've already tried it, it's just like Andrew said. Looks much better than UV unwraps did

• Advanced Member

I'm pretty sure Perpixel's has always been slower with low poly. Because you have to put more texture information over a single face, but when it's high poly, you have less info to process for each polygon.

hi kay_Eva, strange, in the video i use only paint diffuse, "no normal and specularity" is difficult to paint properlys, the brush moves discontinuously :unsure:

strange