3DCoat Forums

Bad results from Auto Retopology

Palex

Hello, Andrew.

This is the object I'm trying to auto retopo:

http://cl.ly/3w2K3S1m0D0U0F1c0t2e/Image_2011.09.11_12_30_24_PM.png

Here is the result with guides:

http://cl.ly/1l2L0N3H1g1B2x0i1s2J/Image_2011.09.11_12_25_26_PM.png

As you can see, it is much better, but it's still quite a bit off. I've had better results in the past, so I'm not sure what it is that I'm doing wrong. It is a fairly thin object (4 width), but even when it was a solid mass of voxels I was getting wonky results.

• Reputable Contributor

Okay, I don't know how to delete the floaters, but I got a pretty good retop by doing it manually.

http://cl.ly/0M3e2o2X083j2l1p3t1O/Image_2011.09.11_2_35_29_PM.png

hover your mouse over the blue dot and hit DELETE key. Or to start over, you can hit the CLEAR button in the tool panel. Those free floating points caused problems for me in the past. Also, make sure the snapping method is "closest along normal"

• Reputable Contributor

There are a number of very thin areas on your model. almost no voxel material in spots. That causes lots of problems on double sided models as your amour. Also some of the very thin areas around the openings need some more voxel material. Try remerging as skin with a thickness of 5 and then fill the voids. Fill is under the vox tree tab. Also add more voxel material around the openings and bottom crotch area.You will have to play around with the density settings and areas you select for more polygons plus try differenct ways of adding strokes. I could get close but those thin areas around the openings still cause problems. So without adding to your models thickness which would be changing your model, I went the manual way.

I might suggest a manual retopo on this one. I started one but have to leave town ASAP. I am not a professional but this manual retopo took about 30 minutes so far. I just try to watch my edge flow. I would not even retopo the inside but use your 3D modeler to simiply add thickness to the retopo. Then reimport the new obj file but not snap it to the voxel model. There would no need to snap it. I think you would find less of a headache by manually retopoing. Though again working with your model is a great way of learning what you can and can't do with auto retopo.

P.S. You could add more edge flow area to the abs but since this is armor I thought no need to...

post-518-0-55797600-1315769506_thumb.jpg

AbnRanger - Thanks for the reply. I tried as you said, hovering my mouse over the dots and hitting delete, but this definitely does not work for me. The clear command clears my meshes completely. I have a lot more dots floating around now since I've been manually retopoing. The only way I can get rid of them is to use them, or clear my meshes.

digman - Thank you for your efforts in spending any amount of time on this. I decided to manually retopo the armour myself and I got pretty good results. I'm doing the same for the rest of my figure. I watched a few tutorials and tried to pick up some edge flow pointers. I'm learning a great deal about topology and I think the manual route is the best way to go.

Appreciate all the tips I can get.

Thank you, Daniel, it looks great. Regarding your suggestion that I thicken it in a 3D modeller, I don't have one outside of 3DC. If I could, I would work entirely in voxels, since I'm only doing it for art.

Here's another example of a wonky auto retop. It gets split down the middle and filled with garbage polygons, making it unusable. Otherwise it would be a fine job for an auto retop. Argh.

http://cl.ly/341L2A3T3A0R1U0i3W2P/Image_2011.09.12_3_43_24_PM.png

• Advanced Member

I get rid of unwanted vertexes like that by attaching them together into a polygon then deleting the polygon. if there's only one vertex then create 2 more and make the three of them into a triangle polygon and delete the polygon using the tool for it in teh retopo menu.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I am not a newbie and this gets me everytime.  Even now in the year 2015 there is no easy way to clear ALL blue preview dots from your scene?   Seriously??

3dCoat does some things so well and yet falls down flat on some simple stuff.  Comeon Andrew this has bugged the artists in our studio for YEARS.