3DCoat Forums

Correcting shape in C4d after retopo.

Robert G

Hey guys,

Just wondering...

After doing a retopo of my model in 3DC and bringing it into C4d, placing it under a HyperNurbs,.... ooops SubdivisionSurface, I loose part of my Volume of course.

Simplest thing to do, is to use the brush and go over the shrinked parts, I normaly use a high density exported version from the voxel room and place it at the same place as my retopo-ed version but with a different color. That way I can check which parts needs to be corrected in order to have the same shape/volume as my voxel version. I'm curious to know how other people deal with this, maybe there is a more clever way of doing this.

Thanks, Robert

Hi Robert. :)

I'm a long time SubD modeler, so if I intend a mesh to be subdivision surfaces, I model it that way first in a modeling tool then import for painting and/or sculpting.

That said, if you make something in 3DC or ZB first, and it is pretty low poly and you plan to use subdivision surfaces, then you could subdivide the mesh first (not SubD surfaces, actually subdividing it, by increasing the poly count), this will help retain some of the shape you might want while sculpting and retopologizing. The higher the resolution the less shape "loss" you get from SubDs. Of course, go high enough and you wont need SubDs, and you can just use surface smoothing. That renders a bit faster anyway. :)

Hope that helps.

• Contributor

Perhaps there is a "shrink wrap" deformer type tool in c4d which will allow you to snap your subdivided mesh to the original. This kind of tool exists in Maya and Max.

You could also import both your original and subdivided mesh into the retopo room and use the snap function or snap brush to snap them together.

Also if you can use Maya 2015, then you can use the new Pixar Opensubdiv method. With that method you do not generally need to use extra edge loops to maintain volume or hard edges. In Maya just go through your retopo mesh and add creasing with the crease tool as needed to maintain your volume and hard edges. The Opensubdiv subdivided surface will maintain that creasing and can therefore drastically reduce your poly count.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot gents for your answers.

Indeed de shrink wrap deformer seems to be a good way of dealing with this.

However one of my "worries" is that the deformer works before the SubdivisionSurface does its job, and the SubdivisionSurface is where most of the shrinkage takes place.

But the real truth is that I only heard about this method and never tried it.

So after coming back from holydays I will give it a try and post back.

Kind regards, Robert