3DCoat Forums

I don't want to paint on surface meshes: How to switch this off?!

Taros

Hi friends.

Slowly I am getting really more crazy here...  :mad:

3D-Coat converts ALWAYS my voxel meshes into surface mode, when I am switching into the paint room. This is really annoying.

How do I switch the automatic conversion to surface mode off?!

I just want to paint on my low poly meshes in the paint room and NOT on my voxel sources!

Thank you
Chris

PS: Look here for my feature request. Close it, if there is already a way to switch the autoconvert off, please.

-> http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=1529

here 3D-Coat converts ALWAYS my voxel meshes into surface mode IF i paint over it

i switch my voxels layers off to avoid it

Switching or hiding voxel layers does does not avoid the surface mode conversion. Unfortunately.

Select a hidden voxel layer in the paint room and it will be converted into surface mode immediately.

• Reputable Contributor

I wonder if that is a bug... I do not have the automatic conversion when switching to the paint room. Once I switch and start to paint on a voxel object layer in the paint room the conversion to surface mode will take place only for that voxel layer. That is the expected behaviour.

Linux version 4.1.08B 64 bit non cuda.

Edited by digman

I wonder if that is a bug... I do not have the automatic conversion when switching to the paint room. Once I switch and start to paint on a voxel object layer in the paint room the conversion to surface mode will take place only for that voxel layer. That is the expected behaviour.

Linux version 4.1.08B 64 bit non cuda.

Yes. But I don't want to paint on a voxel layer. I just wanna paint on the retopo result for our game, that is in the scene too. :)

So I just wish a choise to allow automatical painting on voxel layers or not.

I've explained my problem in detail in my mantis report, that can be found in my first post.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes. But I don't want to paint on a voxel layer. I just wanna paint on the retopo result for our game, that is in the scene too. :)

So I just wish a choise to allow automatical painting on voxel layers or not.

I've explained my problem in detail in my mantis report, that can be found in my first post.

Ah, I understand now after carefully reading your post again.

What you want is the voxel objects in the scene to appear in the paint room but be locked (user controlled) so even if your brush cursor goes over the voxel object as you are painting the merged retopo object, the conversion will not happen. No paint would be applied to the voxel object so therefore no surface mode conversion would take place.

I can see this as being very useful, as you could have your voxel objects as references in helping your paint your merged retopo mesh in the paint room. It helps to have objects in your scene relating to each other as you paint.

Again though, I never get automatic conversion by just selecting a voxel layer in the paint room. Also under the view menu, deselecting show voxels in paint room will not allow any conversions at all in my Linux version. So maybe a bug is part of the problem as well in the newer windows beta versions.

I went to Mantis and +1 your report.

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

...BTW, I just tested it and the HIDE tool does indeed prevent the conversion. But I did find that "Through All Volumes" didn't work in my test, using the HIDE tool. That should definitely be fixed, cause one could have dozens of layers to hide and it would be a major PITA to have to do that one layer at a time. We need Multi-selection of layers once and for all. That's been requested over and over and over all these years.

Thank you Don.

I've tested your suggestions. What I can say under the line: As long as the layers are hidden or ghosted, and NOT active, there will not be a conversion to surface mode. But as soon as you select them, for example by accident, and paint on a visible layer, a hidden or ghosted layer will be converted to surface mode anyway.

For reproduce;

1. Start 3DC with a default scene, f.e. a sphere.

2. Duplicate the sphere voxel layer and move the new sphere beside the origin one.

3. Select one of the voxel spheres and hide its complete volume or switch to ghost mode.

4. Select the other sphere layer (the visible sphere)

5. Switch to the paint room and paint on the selected sphere layer. No problem, the unselected sphere will not be converted.

6. -> Now activate the hidden sphere layer in the voxel layer window.

7. Paint on the visible sphere, that one that is not selected.

-> oops... the ghost/hidden sphere layer will be converted to surface mode.

We definitely need a lock icon. :)

Best wishes

Chris