3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

For everyone who's interested, just for the records, I'm one of the few mac-users that tests these betas and posting my report to Andrew. So, you have to accept my complains when something is extremely wrong. Just for the records. LOL

Andrew, I think this works. Something I noticed on all previews builds. The autopo (using guides) has a random factor. Five times repeating the process, five different solutions I get. I'm not sure if you're randomizing timer or similar. Why so?

• Reputable Contributor

For everyone who's interested, just for the records, I'm one of the few mac-users that tests these betas and posting my report to Andrew. So, you have to accept my complains when something is extremely wrong. Just for the records. LOL

Andrew, I think this works. Something I noticed on all previews builds. The autopo (using guides) has a random factor. Five times repeating the process, five different solutions I get. I'm not sure if you're randomizing timer or similar. Why so?

Micahalis complaining, I never noticed... B)

Seriously, you complain not to hear yourself complaining but just to make 3DCoat better for the artist, I think Andrew can handle it... :D

To Andrew, your off to another great year of making 3DCoat even more usefull to the artist... Thanks again.

• Advanced Member

This "merge without voxelizing" is still not working? "to separate volumes" still not working? Is there something I do wrong?

Update:

Lets say I want to fast UV map a pic shader.

So, I merged a obj without voxelizing. But it was a quad mesh and now its a tri mesh. Anyway, after applying the shader I went to retopo room for importing it as a topo mesh with UVs. Unfortunately the retopo room is still inactive, just waiting for voxelizing. Exactly as in previews build. I'm not sure what build exactly you uploaded Andrew. This is really funny.

My suggestion is to have another topic here, "last stable beta" because all builds are betas, aren't they?

• Advanced Member

Andrew, I just tried the last version. The image picker works brilliantly now so thanks for chasing up on that. Really makes it a LOT easier to manage things now.

If we're still keen on it would it be possible to use your preferred navigation method from the main window in the image picker window.. for the purpose of zooming and panning. I think it would be more consistent. I can't find the original request but I just thought I'd ask since it's a relatively fresh bugfix.

Andrew, I just tried the last version. The image picker works brilliantly now so thanks for chasing up on that. Really makes it a LOT easier to manage things now.

If we're still keen on it would it be possible to use your preferred navigation method from the main window in the image picker window.. for the purpose of zooming and panning. I think it would be more consistent. I can't find the original request but I just thought I'd ask since it's a relatively fresh bugfix.

Agree on that point. Will do.

Great work on the Epanels! No missing parts and super nice edges.. :clapping: Im going to make good use of Epanels on a current project.. Especially since I found out how well Epanels work with the plane orientation features of the voxel plane tool.. :rofl:

On a side note.. I would love to see some easy new options for defining the voxel plane tool's plane.. The ability to set a plane based off of 3 or more points would be soo Helpful.. Even better, replacing the whole plane definition system with a system wide plane gizmo.. That would Rock!

Thanks,

IC

In general it is easy to do defining plane by 3 points. Even more - I plan to do further improvements of E panel - possibility to define 4 or even more points to define curved surface where they lay and where E tools act.

Btw, have you noticed "Draw on plane" on the top panel in E mode?

This "merge without voxelizing" is still not working? "to separate volumes" still not working? Is there something I do wrong?

Update:

Lets say I want to fast UV map a pic shader.

So, I merged a obj without voxelizing. But it was a quad mesh and now its a tri mesh. Anyway, after applying the shader I went to retopo room for importing it as a topo mesh with UVs. Unfortunately the retopo room is still inactive, just waiting for voxelizing. Exactly as in previews build. I'm not sure what build exactly you uploaded Andrew. This is really funny.

My suggestion is to have another topic here, "last stable beta" because all builds are betas, aren't they?

Merege without voxelizing should work. I checked it on mac too. Baking/retopo over non voxelized objects was checked too.

May you provide object/instructions where it does not work?

• Contributor

In general it is easy to do defining plane by 3 points. Even more - I plan to do further improvements of E panel - possibility to define 4 or even more points to define curved surface where they lay and where E tools act.

Hmmmm... curvy hard surfaces.... That would be ... dare I say it, fantastic ?.

• Advanced Member

Btw, have you noticed "Draw on plane"?

Also, I forgot to mention that you have "Resample" button in surface mode since 3.5.13 - it is very handy and important.

Yes, I tried out the resample button in surface mode and I didn't notice much erosion of detail when I used the smooth setting. That could be a pretty integral part of any workflow.

Ok, this is done, was not hard.

• Reputable Contributor

Ok, this is done, was not hard.

Andrew...would it be too much trouble to make the Image Picker separate from the color picker. You can have the image picker docked where you like and as soon as you change the color in a shader, you have to reset the picker panel back to IMAGE. Sometimes that becomes quite annoying; especially in the Paint room, where you have to change colors frequently.

Great work on the Epanels! No missing parts and super nice edges.. :clapping: Im going to make good use of Epanels on a current project.. Especially since I found out how well Epanels work with the plane orientation features of the voxel plane tool.. :rofl:

On a side note.. I would love to see some easy new options for defining the voxel plane tool's plane.. The ability to set a plane based off of 3 or more points would be soo Helpful.. Even better, replacing the whole plane definition system with a system wide plane gizmo.. That would Rock!

Thanks,

IC

I agree! It is something I requested quite some time ago.

Having functions/tools like this as a general function that can applied to all/many tools in the program would open up many new possibilities and remove hindrances all in one go. Sounds like a win/win.

• Advanced Member

Btw, have you noticed "Draw on plane" on the top panel in E mode?

Andrew.. Yes I have noticed the Draw on plane box.. There seems to be some redundancy there since I use the Epanel tool in unison with the Voxel Plane tool (where the best plane setting in 3DC happens :) ). I reverse the effect of the brush and Epanels works with all of the plane setting attributes of the plane tool.. Including offsetting the plane.. I actually have to turn Draw on top of plane to off or Strange things happen.. One down side is that I cant hold down the ctrl key to subtract the epanel from the volume.. That just sets the plane tool back to planing.. Strange really.. It seems that the Epanel is an Extremely powerful tool that has no absolute home.. I kind of like that for the possibilities and quirky things that just happen to work..

The reason I want Epanels to work with 3 or more points is so that I can accurately span across volumes or between volumes.. Making a banner between 2 poles if I like.. Building quick structures that connect accurately.. I believe that Epanels will have a whole new life once they have a masterful plane setting technique to deliver them..

IC

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

can you make an option so that the svg curve will stick to the voxel surface? That way I could start doing interesting effects on my sculpts

• Applink Developer

I agree with Andrew...

I like getting the most cutting edge version of the program and testing out new features...I don't mind that it doesn't work sometimes because he fixes it so quickly. Actually, a similar model is employed by Google, which has been successful for them.

Ready, Fire, Aim

It makes 3d Coat a constantly evolving and growing program.

One thing that I think might help Andrew is if we had a place, similar to Mantis bug tracker where we could post our feature requests and users could go on there and vote for what they would like to see the most. That would allow Andrew to see some ideas from the user base and prioritize based on what is most requested (maybe a system where the most voted on requests bubble to the top of the list) Not only that, it would be a clear place to see all requests at once and stuff wouldn't get lost on random pages in the forums.

I'm sure the excellent web developer at Pilgway could set up something like that no problem.

To clarify, I'm suggesting having Mantis for bug reporting and something new for feature requests...just to keep things a bit more organized.

-G

Late reply but I agree 100% with you. Mantis is perfect for fixing bugs. And Andrew has really started to use it quite nicely. But feature requests need some kind of diffrent way. Right now

They are mixing with bugs and it's not as clear as it could be.

• Advanced Member

I think, its time to start a new thread.

"what will be the possible 3dc workflows in the future?"

"what kind of miracles we should expect from the topo room?"

"how to wrap a cage on a complicated voxel or UC mesh"

I have this idea, that we're lost without definitions on these matters. On workflow matters!

• Advanced Member

Mantis works for feature requests also like these -

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=26

http://www.3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=161

They are both must do type things in my opinion. I think Mantis mainly just needs a nicer way to tell what is what. Maybe something like a few icons you can set bug, request, suggestion and misc etc which would make it much simpler to always know what they were from the main listing.

Having 2 Mantis pages would be good also although sometimes with bug reports there is requests or suggestions to change something so they can be various things so having them in the same place is not always a bad thing, it just needs a good way to sort them. Even if there is just multiple pages in the future visual icons would be good also though.

• Applink Developer

Mantis works for feature requests also like these -

Having 2 Mantis pages would be good also although sometimes with bug reports there is requests or suggestions to change something so they can be various things so having them in the same place is not always a bad thing, it just needs a good way to sort them. Even if there is just multiple pages in the future visual icons would be good also though.

That's a good points. If we could change new feature request color from red to yellow that would help a lot already.

• Advanced Member

I was thinking something easy to navigate both for the Andrew and users...where we could see all the feature requests in one list. If the feature that we want to suggest has already been requested, then we could just click a thumbs up button and the list would be resorted based on the popularity of the request.

It would give Andrew a nice place to refer to when adding to the feature set. He would be able to see what features are most requested by the community and check them off as they are implemented (if feasible)

The main things it should do

User can create a request, vote a request up or down, comment on it.

I'll see about possibly working on something like this. I'm not the greatest at coding or making web pages, but I think there are some Drupal modules that do this. There are a ton of requests scattered throughout the forums...it would be great to see them organized in one spot and see which ones the community is most excited about.