3DCoat Forums

Are 32GB RAM a good decision?!

Monkeybrain

• Advanced Member

Helo dear readers,

I have an i7-2600k / WIN64/ GTX 550Ti, and I ask you, is it a good good decision to increase my RAM from 16GB to 32GB?

I work on my first 'human' Mesh and would also make fine detailed clothings for him and so on ... and I need more, coz I did got also dialogs with "out of memory" ... 3DCoat is so hungry :)

I asked a computershop and I got a offer for

32GB RAM DDR3/1600 8GB CORSAIR Vengeance CL10

is this good? Or should I take other RAM? Or keep 16GB RAM?

• Reputable Contributor

It also depends upon how many applications you like to open and run at the same time.

Like say 3Coat, photoshop, blender or Vue, rendering in the background, listening to music etc. etc...

• Advanced Member

I've 16 GB, I didn't use all the memory even with an obscene amount of program running.

Ok, so 16GB RAM is good enough.

Okay, dears, I did also have boot problems with my PC. Maybe thats also a reason, that I have sometimes feeling, that my pc is slow/not fluid in 3DCoat?

If one of you a german/good in german -> here are my problems ...http://forum.gigabyte.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=6028

In the german GIGABYTE® forum, I told them about my curious boot-problems. My computer is brandnew, but maybe one of my KINGSTON-RAM-Modules are not okay, or maybe my GIGABYTE® Mainboard, or my COUGAR PowerSuplyUnit is not ok.

back to topic ....

Next week I go to my Computer-Shop, thats also my reason, why I asked about the 32GB RAM ;) ... ok, so most of you, say, that 16GB RAM is good enough :) thats nice to hear! ;) Or is one of you, who have good reasons for me, that I rise it up to 32GB RAM?

• Reputable Contributor

I was not recommending 32 gig but I had/have no idea what you use your computer for.

Video editing is ram intensive, so it was something to think about...

32 gigs of ram at a good price, tempting..

24 gigs is what I will put in my new computer....

A great quality built power supply is a must today as BeatKitano said.

One guy, had his cheaper power supply burst into big flames inside his case.... :blink:

• Advanced Member

my PSU is from COUGAR .... they are good, nobody knows COUGAR? I did mentioned it. I will wait, what is not okay with my PC :(

http://www.cougar-world.com/

I didnt do videoediting so much (maybe in the future) ... I did have sometimes crashing in 3dCoat, but only in 3DCoat ... :) and since some days courious boot-problems, not every starting, but sometimes my computer didn't want start up, it runs for 2-3 seconds and its going off, and I must press the power button again ... maybe 2-3 times again ... but sometimes I can start it 4-10 times without any bootproblems ...

• Advanced Member

my PSU is from COUGAR .... they are good, nobody knows COUGAR? I did mentioned it. I will wait, what is not okay with my PC :(

http://www.cougar-world.com/

I didnt do videoediting so much (maybe in the future) ... I did have sometimes crashing in 3dCoat, but only in 3DCoat ... :) and since some days courious boot-problems, not every starting, but sometimes my computer didn't want start up, it runs for 2-3 seconds and its going off, and I must press the power button again ... maybe 2-3 times again ... but sometimes I can start it 4-10 times without any bootproblems ...

I wil oversleep my wish of these 32GB RAM, hmmm, in the GALLERY I did see a work from a 3DCoat User, that he could work/do very fine detailed clothings, I think, he did have a workstation with 64GB RAM?

I will look after this ... okay?

or is it better, to buy also zbrush? How much cost it? sry ;) Is it a good 3DCoat companion? And zbrush => also so hungry after RAM?

• Reputable Contributor

It sounds like you got a intermittent hardware problem somewhere. Does your computer give any "error beeps" at all when trying to boot when you encounter the boot problem.

Here is a link to the different kinds of POST (power on self test) error beeps by bios.

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

• Advanced Member

its not all about RAM, i have only 4gb and i can live with that.

Try to master the program with "less" RAM, if you use 3dcoat in a efficient way than 16gb is more than enough.

High detail is possible outside high voxel res. look at marapuras sketchbook for example.

The RAM would not improve your skill, only training

• Advanced Member

Hello, I thanx for ur answers - so 16GB is good enough.I safe for new hardware in 2-3 years. Are DDR4 RAM - in the future - better for 3D Appz? I don't play with my Computer ...

@digman I see 2 LEDS are only burning (for 2-4 seconds, 1x orange/red 1x green) - at the booting process - and only 1 short beep. But After the Boot process the 2 LEDS are switched off. And I think, but I'm not sure, that the burning LEDS I have since january? but I dont know 100% ....

but I found in my manual nothing about the errorcodes (LED) ...

• Reputable Contributor

Alright, you decided on your ram amount... :)

Manual's normally do not show much about errors codes. The one short beep tells you that your computer passed the POST test. If it fails, you would get other beeps... So if your computer fails to boot listen for any other beeping error code sounds. If it fails to boot at all with no beep errors, then that is a major hardware failure somewhere. Make sure all your hardware components are correctly installed, I have seen ram partially installed, not pushed down all the way and seated.

If someone built the computer for you, take it back and have them check it out plus replace any components if necessary.

• Advanced Member

I read a comment recently stating that some power supplies have minimum requirements and will turn off within seconds of starting if the load being drawn isn't high enough (or too high for that matter). Since you're getting one beep, an indication of a successful POST, I'd wager the problem is indeed the power supply. You could try adding more components to see if that helps, or alternatively removing all the ones you don't actually need. I'd probably choose a better power supply though, especially if they'll let you swap the Cougar for something else at no cost (I'm quite happy with my Seisonic for what it's worth).

Edit: If you think memory might be the problem, try running the program called MemTest86+ for a few cycles. It runs from a CD and some motherboards even have it built in. If you can't get your PC to start at all, you'll have to pull the memory and put it into another PC for testing. Overheating can be another possibility as carlosa points out, or the auto shutoff failsafe temperature setting is set too low in the BIOS. I once had a PC that would have trouble posting when the room temperature was too low which shows it can be something you'd never consider.

I translated the Gigabyte forum and noticed you mentioned checksum errors. This means something has changed (settings most likely) or been corrupted since last boot. The checksum for the current boot is different than the checksum that was calculated during the previous boot. A common cause for this is a dying/dead battery on the motherboard, the one that provides power when the computer isn't on, allowing it to keep track of the time for example. Other things can cause checksum errors too, such as a physical problem with the motherboard itself. Heck it could even be a loose screw touching something it shouldn't be.

If you're having problems with USB devices and you've already tried various drivers, try changing the configuration of the USB ports instead. For example if you have one port you know works 100% without fail, try connecting your buggy device to that port to see if that helps at all. That way you'll know whether it's the port or the device that's to blame. Another thing to consider about USB 2.0 devices is that they don't always get along with USB 3.0 ports.

I only speak English which makes the grammar from the Google translation (and your own posts to an extent) hard to understand. Hopefully I've understood the exact problems you're having and what you've already tried. I apologize if I've misunderstood and hope I'm helping rather than making things worse.

• Advanced Member
Memtest is nice, but you've got to run it for hours to get a real test. Most of the time people don't run it long enough, and the returned value are ok, when in fact the memory module is deffective.

Too true that. The more memory you have, the longer it takes as well. It's still a good tool though so long as you've got the patience, especially if you're testing overclocking stability where you're not just tweaking frequencies but timings as well. Errors due to bad timing choices usually show up in the first pass. It's been my experience that what's written on the label isn't always 100% accurate and incorrect timings can certainly cause the symptoms described.

Speaking of overclocking, that's another thing Monkeybrain may want to consider, especially when it comes to newer hardware like he has (e.g. speedstep). Pushing the CPU and motherboard too far is another thing that can cause the symptoms described, which if I've understood correctly involves his PC automatically turning off approximately 3 to 4 seconds after turning it on, as well as occasional freezing and checksum errors during post.

My best guess is that it's either a BIOS related setting(s) or faulty hardware to blame. Hopefully it's the former. Seeing as there are only so many possibilities for this specific type of issue, I figured posting as many as I can think of might be helpful. What would be really great is photos of all his BIOS settings, which would go a long way towards narrowing things down for him. The only thing that can be ruled out for sure at this point is the operating system. I'm sure if we all put our heads together, we'll be able to get to the bottom of this problem in no time at all. :)