3DCoat Forums

can i duplicate objects like you can in modo?

Flippers

say i created this object in 3d coat. i'd want to then duplicate it in Y and each duplicate would be offset by the same amount. i tried this with radial but i couldn't get it to work. anyone know if this is possible? 

3dcoatCopies.png

• Contributor

Hm, I could swear there was a tool for this somewhere... :unsure:

Anyway, you gave me a pretty cool idea for a script. I already did routines for duplication along a vector (with optional rotation).

post-12523-0-99735100-1417819514_thumb.j

The script relies on transformation tool's pivot:

post-12523-0-87419700-1417819731_thumb.j

I still need to do the user interface.

• Reputable Contributor

ive tried instancing but i see no offset and number of duplications. how is this done timmyz?

There are no such controls that I can think of for entering the number of instance and offset value. There is a feature like this in Max, too, and I was just think about this very limitation recently. When Andrew get's done with the PBR stuff, I think we really need to stop and focus on refining 3D Coat's modeling capabilities (Voxel and in the Retopo Room). So that it is all the more viable as a alternative modeler. I love it as is, but there are a number of things I can do in Max that I can't quite do in 3D Coat yet.

With the Applinks, I think it's a lot easier to work between 3D Coat and your preferred 3D app, but it would be nice to have a more robust poly modeling toolset within 3D Coat, so one wouldn't really need to step out. In the mean time, I'm going to have to experiment a little bit and figure out a good workflow modeling in both 3ds Max and 3D Coat. Some things are done much faster in 3DC and others in a poly modeler.

• Contributor

ive tried instancing but i see no offset and number of duplications. how is this done timmyz?

Oh sorry about that, I tried to offset the instances with the Instancer Tool, but couldn't figure out a way to do it either. I guess that won't work.

But you can still do it with the Curves Tool. AbnRanger has made a tutorial showing how that is done. Start watching at 6:40 and you can see him setting up an array of objects with a common offset.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Oh sorry about that, I tried to offset the instances with the Instancer Tool, but couldn't figure out a way to do it either. I guess that won't work.

But you can still do it with the Curves Tool. AbnRanger has made a tutorial showing how that is done. Start watching at 6:40 and you can see him setting up an array of objects with a common offset.

I was going to suggest that, but that replicating dialog should be part of the Instancer, Curves and Import (formerly Merge) tools, so one can see how much to offset the instances as they use those tools. It seems a little odd only having that functionality when storing a model to the Splines Pallet.

• Contributor
I was going to suggest that, but that replicating dialog should be part of the Instancer, Curves and Import (formerly Merge) tools, so one can see how much to offset the instances as they use those tools. It seems a little odd only having that functionality when storing a model to the Splines Pallet.

Yeah it's funny that the functionality actually exists, but it is located in an unexpected place in the software. It's nice to have it work with the Curves Tool/Splines Pallet, but you are right that it should be included in the Instancer as well.

Another drawback in having it in the Curves Tool is that each object in the array becomes slightly deformed when the curve makes a sharp turn. Sometimes that deformation is really nice (for a human spinal cord for example), but sometimes you want the objects to stay completely rigid (like in a zipper on a jacket). It would be nice to have the option to turn that slight deformation on or off in the Tool Options panel.

...I smell a couple of Mantis requests brewing... :)