3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Importing UDIM ?

pbowmar

Go to solution Solved by Javis,

• Advanced Member

Hi,

I've been out of 3DC for a bit, trying to get back in and familiar with the new stuff. I've got 4-5-03 on Linux (or Windows, if need be) going, I'm trying to import

a basic set of geometry set up with UDIM.

However, nothing I do will let that import :( I always get overlapping UVs instead of proper unique UDIM tiles.

Is there a setting I'm missing? The docs don't mention UDIM unfortunately, or at least not when I search.

Cheers,

Peter B

• Reputable Contributor

Hi,

I've been out of 3DC for a bit, trying to get back in and familiar with the new stuff. I've got 4-5-03 on Linux (or Windows, if need be) going, I'm trying to import

a basic set of geometry set up with UDIM.

However, nothing I do will let that import :( I always get overlapping UVs instead of proper unique UDIM tiles.

Is there a setting I'm missing? The docs don't mention UDIM unfortunately, or at least not when I search.

Cheers,

Peter B

It's my understanding that 3D Coat just keeps the UDIM naming, so upon export they UV maps will retain their naming convention. Someone else can chime in, here and clarify it a bit more, but 3D Coat still doesn't have native UV tiles. It still stacks all UV maps into one UV space. Tiles have been requested for some time, so we'll see if it ever comes about.

• Advanced Member

Thanks guys, the "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets" is exactly what I missed. I naively though that "UDIM" would be mentioned since, you know, it's an industry standard :)

If it was "Import UV Tiles as UDIM" I likely would not have had to post here :) Searching the docs also didn't really turn up anything unless I missed it.

Again, thanks, works great!

Cheers,

Peter B

• Contributor

Thanks guys, the "Import UV Tiles as UV Sets" is exactly what I missed. I naively though that "UDIM" would be mentioned since, you know, it's an industry standard :)

If it was "Import UV Tiles as UDIM" I likely would not have had to post here :) Searching the docs also didn't really turn up anything unless I missed it.

Cheers,

Peter B

Well, technically UV Sets are different than UV Tiles or UDIM, and 3D-Coat does not actually support real UV tiling or real UDIM. Using UV Sets is a sort of elegant workaround.

You can vote for real UV Tiling and real UDIM on 3D-Coats Trello voting system and/or on 3D-Coat's Mantis bug tracking system of you so desire.

• Like 1

Cheers,

Peter B

In fact it was named exactly as you described, but Andrew changed it (I think on accident).

That said, what we really need is true multi tile editing, and proper UDIM support with those tiles.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Importing UDIM ?