3DCoat Forums

Getting a clean split

arumiat

• Advanced Member

Ayone have any tips as to how to get nice smooth splits using the split tool? I've tried increasing the res of the submeshes but my triangle count gets very high very quickly.

Jagged edges

post-38412-0-60406000-1435007735_thumb.p

Slightly smoother after increasing res of mesh after using split tool

post-38412-0-64321100-1435007789_thumb.p

I've tried smoothing but all my smoothing techniques tend to cause the edges and mesh to melt (voxel mode).

Was thinking of using the local subdivide tool in surface mode but is hard to specify the exact area you want (just the rim)

T

Arumiat:

Have you tried using the Vox Hide tool?  It seems to create cleaner edges - and if your desire is to make 2 objects with a visible transition between them - follow this tool with the "Geometry/Object-ify Hidden" command.  

This combination produces very nice "joins" between voxel objects.

Greg Smith

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks Greg, I think I used to use a similar process; use the voxhide tool to hide everything except what I wanted to separate onto its own layer, and then the split tool to do this, but as you say it creates quite a definable visible transition between 2 objects. I'm interested in hiding the transition as much as possible, if you know of a way to do this?

T