3DCoat Forums

Frame object (SHIFT+A) - like you can in ZBrush

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

"F" shortcut key in Zbrush will frame up the model (hold SHIFT and click outside the model and it will center/square up the model). In Max, you hit "Z" to frame up. I think Maya is "F." How do you do the same in 3DC? I've looked through the drop down menu and through the manual and found nothing.

"F" shortcut key in Zbrush will frame up the model (hold SHIFT and click outside the model and it will center/square up the model). In Max, you hit "Z" to frame up. I think Maya is "F." How do you do the same in 3DC? I've looked through the drop down menu and through the manual and found nothing.

Oh yes, I miss it too. In softimage it is the "F" key, too.

• Advanced Member

You can also hold alt and click in the screen to frame up... I prefer that to the 'f' key in zbrush. I would love to see this functionality and the shift+click to snap to ortho views as in zbrush. Much easier than using separate keybinds or accessing the dropdown in the top of the view.

I prefer hotkeys for that kind of thing. Putting too many functions on the mouse I find cumbersome, at best.

I do like the idea of having a frame your current scene or selection. Looks like this should be made a feature request. Anyone care to create it?

• Reputable Contributor
You can also hold alt and click in the screen to frame up... I prefer that to the 'f' key in zbrush. I would love to see this functionality and the shift+click to snap to ortho views as in zbrush. Much easier than using separate keybinds or accessing the dropdown in the top of the view.
You're saying that you can Alt-click in the viewport to frame up in ZBrush or 3DC? The standard way of orbiting in the view (3DC) with 3DConnexion devices makes it rather sloppy, and it gets really aggravating to have to wrestle with the program to get the object back front and center...thus the frame-up feature in every other 3D application is sorely needed.

Now that he's working on fixing the axis-orbiting issue, we'll have more control...but having a fit to view/frame-up key and icon/button (next to the navigation keys) is something that should have been in the program long ago.

• Advanced Member
You're saying that you can Alt-click in the viewport to frame up in ZBrush or 3DC? If there is no way to snap the object to fit in the viewport (centered as well). The standard way of orbiting in the view (3DC) with 3DConnexion devices makes it rather sloppy, and it gets really aggravating to have to wrestle with the program to get the object back front and center...thus the frame-up feature in every other 3D application is sorely needed.

Now that he's working on fixing the axis-orbiting issue, you'll have more control...but having a fit to view/frame-up key and icon/button (next to the navigation keys) is something that should have been in the program long ago.

Not in 3dc - I meant zbrush. You can use either option in ZB. I just prefer the alt+click option myself and would prefer having more than just one solution, so I mentioned it.

I don't use extra hardware for navigation as I'm not interested in the hassle involved with compatibility or support with the wide range of software I use, so I have no experience there. Just trying to contribute and expand on the idea of implementing viewport framing - especially for tablet/keyboard workflow, being the most commonly configuration.

geothefaust: as far as preferences go, that's fine, I'd just like to have the option for more than one. The most innovative packages I've used so far have all catered to increased mouse and tablet input options and functionality. ZB being a very good example, considering all the masking, navigation, brush and polygroup (mesh visibility) control you have with just 3 modifier keys and the pen. I've never used the F key in zb myself just knowing I can use alt+click. Silo as well. That same functionality is bound to alt+middle mouse simply because I can and I prefer it that way.

• Reputable Contributor
doesn't HOME do this already?
I tried that after you mentioned it...and it does something some of the time, but it doesn't zoom extents/frame up...it looks like it goes back to a default position, and at it's own predetermined angle. And then it did so only half the time when I pushed the HOME key. I guess that may be a bug, but even when it works, it doesn't help

• Advanced Member
I tried that after you mentioned it...and it does something some of the time, but it doesn't zoom extents/frame up...it looks like it goes back to a default position, and at it's own predetermined angle. And then it did so only half the time when I pushed the HOME key. I guess that may be a bug, but even when it works, it doesn't help

I agree actually, it's not quite ideal and I made a few suggestions about it in the past but those requests must have been lost in the ether of these boards.