3DCoat Forums

The battleship Yamato by Kelir Studio, Indonesia

• Contributor

Mucho trabajo! With all that anti-aircraft it surprises that it was bombed into oblivion before it saw any other action. Wasn't it Admiral Yamato that was associated with the remark, "awakened a sleeping giant" after the battle of Midway?

• Advanced Member

Mucho trabajo! With all that anti-aircraft it surprises that it was bombed into oblivion before it saw any other action. Wasn't it Admiral Yamato that was associated with the remark, "awakened a sleeping giant" after the battle of Midway?

Even with AA guns, battleships were obsolete by the mid 1930's. A lot of people who believe the west had foreknowledge of the Pearl Harbour attack and let it happen to get a casus belli for entering the war point out that all the aircraft carriers were at sea while all the antique WWI era battleships were left sitting ducks to be bombed into oblivion like the USS Arizona that was built in the mid 1910's.

Edited by L'Ancien Regime

• Contributor

As for fore knowledge, my family lived next to Ft Derussy in Honolulu and when our neighbor, Mr Yoshiga, saw my mom loading canned goods into our car to head for the hills, he warned her against this as he knew of fifth columnists and invited us to sit out the bombing in his 'bomb shelter' (which may have been built for other purposes). We were to leave on the following Wednesday for Manila to join my dad. I had a cousin on the Arizona and he survived.

Edited by Tony Nemo

• Contributor

I don't understand what you mean. Was there some kind of conspiracy? Who are these fifth columnists you speak of? Are you saying that your neighbor knew the bombing was coming before it actually happened?

• Reputable Contributor

I don't believe in such conspiracies as long as there are mass casualties involved. I might consider it to some degree if there was no one around and we lost nothing but obsolete relics, but it's pure folly to suggest we'd sacrifice hundreds or thousands of lives...like the 9/11 falsers (conspiracy theorists) suggest. I was in the Army for 6yrs and I know that none of my superior officers, all the way up to Division commander level, would dare put one soldier's life in jeopardy just to start a war. There's a deep comradery among soldiers, and that never departs, even as one rises through the ranks. People who suggest such nonsense have never served, themselves...and conspiracy tales are like candy to them.

• Contributor

I agree that no conspiracy existed. However that does not mean there were no channels of communication between Japan and the Hawaiian Islands, What Mr Yoshiga had mase resembled an earth covered storm cellar in the Midwest. I was a five year old kid and didn't ask why he built it.  It was he that referred to "bad men in the mountains" so was this hearsay? I grew up believing that he knew something was up.

Because of their numbers in in the economy of the islands, the 'Big Five' families urged the Administration not to send Hawaii's Japanese-Americans to camps as was done on the West Coast.